StarCraft® II

How did the zerg come back?

I dont have heart of the swarm beta but i saw the trailer and the zerg is back!?!?!?

I thought rayner cleared the zerg once and for all but i guess not.

Anyone know how it happend
Reply Quote
The zerg never died, Raynor barely scratched 1% of the swarm's true numbers.
Reply Quote
The swarm itself is really just biomass until the time is needed to make new units via chemical alterations. So if they just store more biomass there numbers are endless.
Reply Quote
The Swarm is not destroyed, only leaderless thanks to Raynor's actions.
Reply Quote
Raynor only cleared out the zerg on char... although what astounds me is the fact that the hive clusters could spawn more larvae and more zerg would have been attacking them while Raynor & friends went after Kerrigan.

If the hives had died they would have all exploded into a bunch of broodlings which would have killed them so you can't make that argument.
Reply Quote
The Zerg have infested a number of planets and asteroids. Although Kerrigan was essentially the new Overmind, defeating her does not automatically trigger apoptosis in Zerg. Each Zerg creature DOES have a sentience, depending on the breed. Obviously, Hydralisks are smarter than Zerglings, who are akin to feral dogs. Overlords and Queens are also quite intelligent. They are all simply minor intellects that pool together their needs and goals to become a larger, collective being.

Even with their lynchpin gone, the individual swarms can still pool together into a higher intelligence. It has been shown this is exactly what is happening with the Brood Mothers.
Reply Quote
The Zerg aren't leaderless either, they are just leaderless in the Koprulu sector. They will always come back and life and thrive.
Reply Quote
by terrible storytelling....
Reply Quote
I'm amazed... people didn't you guys watched the whole thing? What the trailer was showing is just Kerrigan's dream...
Reply Quote
Notice how the eyes of the Kerrigan in the assault glow purple, but the real Kerrigan has fiery glow.

Which means the whole sequence could be happening somewhere in the future where Zerg is led by a clone of Kerrigan or Kerrigan herself's future form.

Or, it could be a dream of what stated above.
Reply Quote
You people seriously think all the zerg died in Wings?

Wow. I have more faith in peoples' intelligence than I should.
Reply Quote
The Xel'Naga artifact didnt wipe out all the zerg, zerg are on several planets everywhere, hell the artifact probably didnt even wipe out all of char, just a massive part, giving the terrans pause to grab kerrigan and gtfo out of there.
Reply Quote
The interquel novel confirms they didn't even wipe out the majority of Char's zerg, given they were under attack within minutes of rescuing Kerrigan. MINUTES!
Reply Quote
The Char mission's objective was not to eliminate all Char Zerg. It was to hold off Zerg forces until the artifact was triggered and Kerrigan was secured. Zerg loses were sever, but Char was still quite well populated by the swarm, not to mention Zerg forces in orbit and on other planets. Novels and other sources confirm this as fact. That said, even leaderless, ravaging hordes of living killing machines are still quite dangerous operating by instinct alone.

In short, it was a smash and grab job, not a scorched earth mission.
Edited by darkhybrid on 1/24/2013 9:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
Raynor only cleared out the zerg on char... although what astounds me is the fact that the hive clusters could spawn more larvae and more zerg would have been attacking them while Raynor & friends went after Kerrigan.

If the hives had died they would have all exploded into a bunch of broodlings which would have killed them so you can't make that argument.

He far from cleared out the zerg on char. He either takes out their nydus network or their air platform, and then puts their primary hive out of business, and proceeds to take their leader, but had they stayed there much longer, you could be assured that the zerg would've flooded them again.
Reply Quote
The Zerg outnumber the entire Terran and Protoss races combined. The Zerg probably number in the trillions if not tens of trillions spread across the galaxy. They are actually weaker under Kerrigan's control, the Zerg on Aiur are feral living off the Overmind's corpse, and apparently those on Zerus and elsewhere beyond the Koprulu Sector are also feral. There also appears to be a few years between WoL's end and HotS' beginning which I believe is explored in the novel Flashpoint. A very minuscule portion of the Zerg were killed.

We really didn't get to see the Nydus Network itself, we saw a cave full of Zerg. Take note of the Nydus Worms popping up in the cave, technically you are not in the network itself just flooding the zone where the reinforcements are coming out. An example of the actual network is when you see Kerrigan come out of it in the All-In mission.
Reply Quote
Because zerg got a drone and 300 resource left.
Reply Quote
Uhm...I'm pretty sure that the artifact range wasn't that big. Just a bunch of hives...no big loss.
Reply Quote
What most people have said, Raynor didn't kill the zerg off or even destroyed anything close to a large percentage of their numbers, he simply "removed' the head (Kerrigan's command of the zerg) which turned the beasts into mindless unorganized monsters. They are currently in complete and total chaos, attacking each other, killing what and who they want to be able to feed and survive, basic instincts.

As far as the zerg on char, well they aren't all dead, as someone said Raynor barely scratched the surface even with the artifact, once he got Kerrigan, he got the hell out of dodge.

Source: Flashpoint (the book).

Pain i'm sorry but you are wrong, their isn't a few years between the both installments of the game, in fact its probably a few weeks IF that. I suggest you read the book Flashpoint, it bridges the gap between the two games. As for the zerg being weaker under Kerrigan, unless you are referring to the savagery on a single unit compared side by side then yes, however without a head to control the zerg, the organism we know as the "swarm" is nothing, the zerg uncontrolled fight each other, eat each other, and revert back to basic instincts (all the different type of zerg units no longer act as an entity, in fact they kill, fight each other and sometimes themselves as well). Uncontrolled they fight to survive, theoretically if two zerglings ran afer you, and you shot one, the other would eat his buddy and leave you alone (as demonstrated in the book Flashpoint), how is that stronger then when under the control of Kerrigan?

It isn't. Furthermore, in the book, I forgot who said it but that person made a valid point, the zerg will eventually replace Kerrigan, because to survive they need someone to control them which portrays their instinct for survival isn't solitary, its with unison, of course this won't mean one person will stand up and control the entire swarm, but i'm sure in the expansion we will see "broods" appearing in some places, because something or someone has taken control locally.
Edited by Feargrim on 1/31/2013 7:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/20/2012 10:43 PMPosted by mengsk
The zerg never died, Raynor barely scratched 1% of the swarm's true numbers.

Yeah, pretty much.

He threw the swarm into chaos by removing the queen of blades from her throne, but the zerg are everywhere. Only a fraction of the zerg was even on Char.

Even at that, Warfield and Valerian were losing the battle, all they were really doing was keeping enough zerg busy for Jim to use the artifact. And they really weren't even that useful to that extent either, if you've ever played the final mission on brutal.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]