Q&A for Lower League Players(1Year,20 Weeks)

New Year, New Q&A.
Reply Quote
What do you think about stalkers?

No colossus carrier PvP: Am I winning because my opponents are bad or because it's legit?

Is guilt the best forum policeman of all time?

Which protoss unit would you remove, given the choice?
Reply Quote
If you could do anything you wanted to balance the game to make it a better experience for each race, What would you do?
Reply Quote
01/02/2013 05:29 PMPosted by Badloss

Blink is cool.

No colossus carrier PvP: Am I winning because my opponents are bad or because it's legit?

This is that build you do that goes robo into stargate? Winning because your opponents are bad. It isn't as economical as a pure robo expand, but gives up the early harrassment ability of a phoenix opening. The midgame is further weakened by doing an air transition making it highly weak to 2-base all-ins. Strong lategame, just can't see you not dieing before then.

Pretty good. A bit strict, but I kinda like it.

Void ray. Except for PvZ I don't use them and I don't like stargate in that match either.

01/02/2013 05:52 PMPosted by Echoforce
If you could do anything you wanted to balance the game to make it a better experience for each race, What would you do?

This:
http://day9.tv/d/Day9/trial-of-the-xelnaga-red-bull-lan-seattle-pax-day-1/
Reply Quote
01/02/2013 06:14 PMPosted by wraithcube

This is that build you do that goes robo into stargate? Winning because your opponents are bad. It isn't as economical as a pure robo expand, but gives up the early harrassment ability of a phoenix opening. The midgame is further weakened by doing an air transition making it highly weak to 2-base all-ins. Strong lategame, just can't see you not dieing before then.

I don't quite agree with this (shocking, right?)

The 2 base all-in vulnerability is definitely there but I don't know if it's any worse than any other build getting hit by a 2 base all-in. My computer's PSU just bit the dust but when it's fixed I'll post some recent replays if anyone's willing to give some feedback that isn't "lulz carriers are only for 5+ bases"
Reply Quote

- I tend to not use Stalkers whenever possible. They are the most mediocre check-all unit in the game.

- Carriers in PvP can be really strong if you can find a way to get them out. However, most players at High Masters will just kill you with a Colossus army before you have enough Carriers to matter. Still, this game isn't about being pro or being the best. If you're having fun and your strategies are working, keep using it ;).

- Sure?

- I would remove Colossus if we had a reasonable replacement for it. Colossus are the most boring unit in the entire game.
Reply Quote

I'd start off by removing every stupid thing that took units out of the meta/out of the game entirely.

I'd remove Colossus and give Protoss some big, badass, durable unit rather than yet another glass cannon that kills everything if it never gets touched. I'd also do something to make Carriers a little more accessible.. waiting 2 minutes for a half-strength unit is pretty BS.

I'd remove Thor energy and probably reduce the total amount of energy on BCs (as well as the cost of Yamato). Thors and BCs are really cool units and they never see play, because energy makes them worthless in TvP. Maybe even make BCs come with Yamato so they are a little more common in TvZ.

Zerg is okay, but Brood Lords are a little too strong, and Ultralisks are a little too weak. I would upgrade the Ultralisk's damage a little bit (specifically vs non-armored), and reduce the Brood Lord's firing speed just a bit (or just make the Broodlings benefit from air attack/armor upgrades instead of melee). I think every other stage of the game is fine for Zerg right now.
Reply Quote

Replace the Colossus with the Reaver with stats along these lines:

Built from: Robotics Facility, requires Robotics Bay
Cost: 250/150, 60s

HP: 150 SP: 100
Armor: 1
Attributes: Armored, Robotic
Movement Speed: 0.54

Attack damage: 25 (+20 vs. Armored)
Splash Radius: .5
Weapon Speed: 3
Range: 9
Notes: Attacks require the construction of Scarabs, which cost 15 minerals each.
Notes: Scarabs cannot climb up cliffs nor drop from cliffs.
Notes: Ground Weapons will not benefit the Reaver.

Upgrades:

[Enter techy name here] : Allows Reaver Scarabs to climb up cliffs and drop from cliffs, enabling attacks upon opponents on different elevation without the use of a ramp.

Scarab Damage : Increase Scarab damage to 45 ( +25 vs. Armored)
Edited by Guilt on 1/3/2013 7:58 PM PST
Reply Quote

Umm... I'll take the job, though I'm not sure how others will view me when I assume this position.

I really want to see exclusively strategy-related posts in these forums rather than people giving balance suggestions (Some of them are well-thought out though) and people posting about miscellaneous crap. It helps the newer players if they see more strategy-related topics since the posts in our Forums are actually more helpful than if 50% of our posts were QQ threads or balance suggestions.
Reply Quote
I tend to not use Stalkers whenever possible. They are the most mediocre check-all unit in the game.

The man speaks. Now if it were only possible to skip them entirely in PvT...
Reply Quote
What's your opinion on how the Mothership Core has affected early game PvP and PvZ?
Reply Quote
01/04/2013 04:08 AMPosted by MtlGuitarist
What's your opinion on how the Mothership Core has affected early game PvP and PvZ?

I'm not even sure how to describe how much its changed. Between purify, recall, and having an early flying unit it makes such a huge difference.

I don't think its remotely safe for zergs to just take a fast 3rd anymore. At the same time protoss early game can actually choose to be greedier. Apparently there is this new Nexus first into 5-gate pressure build that absolutely punishes a fast 3rd. Recall allows a hit squad to go snipe what it can at any point and recall back without needing to worry about being caught by zerglings or roaches.

PvP I can see 2-gate expands becoming the standard play. I've seen a few people talk about nexus first or 1-gate expands, but that still seems really easy to attack with just a 3 stalker rush. People don't need a robo anymore so the variety in tech builds right now is mind boggling.
Reply Quote
I don't like making colossus at all. I just can't stand them. But do I need them in every matchup? I've been relying on HT for AoE damage, but is that enough?
Reply Quote
01/05/2013 05:49 PMPosted by Qendal
I don't like making colossus at all. I just can't stand them. But do I need them in every matchup? I've been relying on HT for AoE damage, but is that enough?

Against zerg and terran it's possible without them. Though much harder against terran in the late game because you want both high templar and colossus. And it prevents you from executing certain 3-base timings vs zerg.

PvP you can do things like zealot/archon, but certain situations force you into getting colossus. You can't avoid them entirely unless you just all-in off 2 bases every match.

If you are playing tournament style matches you will lose though. If people know you avoid colossus it makes your game far too easy to predict and hard counter.

I don't like ever avoiding any possible unit or unit composition. You should learn all your possibilities out of any given situation and their likeliness to succeed. Trying to avoid a particular unit is putting unneeded restrictions on your play and should be avoided if you are trying to improve. That's like running a day9 funday monday challenge and expecting to get better.

Oddly enough I just discovered playing to win is actually available as text online, highly recommended reading:
http://www.sirlin.net/ptw/
Edited by wraithcube on 1/5/2013 9:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
So I went from Bronze to silver and noticed in the first few PvP matches I had, it was cannon rush into whatever kills me (since the cannon rush messed me up a good bit), or 4 gate. Other than getting better at catching it early, is there a good "normal" build that I can do to stay safe, and still be able to last / win past 10 minutes? I like 3 gate / robo, and sometimes I can hold 4 gate (if they aren't very good lol), but other times I get crushed.
Reply Quote
01/05/2013 11:14 PMPosted by DocSlowMo
So I went from Bronze to silver and noticed in the first few PvP matches I had, it was cannon rush into whatever kills me (since the cannon rush messed me up a good bit), or 4 gate. Other than getting better at catching it early, is there a good "normal" build that I can do to stay safe, and still be able to last / win past 10 minutes? I like 3 gate / robo, and sometimes I can hold 4 gate (if they aren't very good lol), but other times I get crushed.

3-stalker rush will stop it pretty well by preventing a forward pylon from going down. 1-gate robo into 3-gate robo will stop it.
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=305331

Opening zealot > sentry > zealot > sentry while getting a 2nd gateway and 2 chronoboosts on warpgate will let you have 2 sentries to FF the ramp and can warp in 2 more to keep the ramp forcefielded till you get whatever you want up.
Example: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=350993
Edited by wraithcube on 1/6/2013 8:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
[quote="75914264363"]
3-stalker rush will stop it pretty well by preventing a forward pylon from going down. 1-gate robo into 3-gate robo will stop it.
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=305331

Opening zealot > sentry > zealot > sentry while getting a 2nd gateway and 2 chronoboosts on warpgate will let you have 2 sentries to FF the ramp and can warp in 2 more to keep the ramp forcefielded till you get whatever you want up.
Example: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=350993

Thank you, I will take a look at those.
Reply Quote
In YOUR opinion what do you think is better to get first and why, double forge and chrono upgrades or push for a early Colossus if you suspect the 10.00 medivac push?
Reply Quote
01/06/2013 08:55 PMPosted by GaryOaK
In YOUR opinion what do you think is better to get first and why, double forge and chrono upgrades or push for a early Colossus if you suspect the 10.00 medivac push?
the colls is the better choice while getting +1 armor for your gateway units because it can alot of times just kill his push or make him turn around directly while you still have the chance to go storm because the colls and a defenders advantage in this situation is a bg advantage also the colls makes him make some vikings just incase you go for more than 2 colls which in turn is less medivacs he has when you are ready to take the fight to him
Reply Quote
What are some good units to drop ex high are good against Terran SCV what are more good units to do drops in pvp Pvz pvp

And how many gates should u add everytime you make a nexus
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]