StarCraft® II

Why are people saying that Terran is weakest

And hardest to play
Reply Quote
Im pretty sure this is just an attempt to get people arguing with each other over balance/skill/random !@#$ that always pops up that has nothing to do with the op
Reply Quote
army control for terran is generally considered harder than the other two races
Reply Quote
I actually find terran army control being one of the easiest. They have an extremely mobile army. Every terran unit is somewhat fast. I'm switching over to terran because I like the micro it forces me to do. I also find that terran's macro is the easiest. You can have constant unit making at the press of a few buttons. You don't have to worry about picking between drones and units. The only thing I find hard about terran is scouting without having to waste energy on a scan.
Reply Quote
TVz
Marine tank vs infestor ling bane
Que up units and rally.
Scan
Pre split if you can
Stim marines
Siege tanks focus shift fire on banes then on investors
At the same time splitting marines even more.
And perhaps a nice drop while fighting and remembering to stim that, focus fire defense, queen, drones then hatchery and escaping without heavy losses.

Zerg
Scout with king and see army coming.
Spew larvae
Make more banes.
Pre split ling and banes
Spew larvae make more units
A click and spam fungal and infested terrans
While splitting banes and lings
Make more units and spew larvae.
Make more units and spew larvae
Make more units and spew larvae.
In all seriousness seems lot of zerg don't even Pre split lings or split them while chasing stemmed marines or trying to cause more splash damage on other tanks...

Id say mech vs Zerg is a huge pendulum swing.
Terran have to cripple Zerg with one blow or severals. And if zerrg macro gets out of control it becomes difficult same as tvp.
Edited by htpkDHo on 12/21/2012 12:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
1/10
Reply Quote
0/10
Reply Quote
-1/10
Reply Quote
12/21/2012 11:34 AMPosted by Sixilli
I actually find terran army control being one of the easiest. They have an extremely mobile army. Every terran unit is somewhat fast. I'm switching over to terran because I like the micro it forces me to do. I also find that terran's macro is the easiest. You can have constant unit making at the press of a few buttons. You don't have to worry about picking between drones and units. The only thing I find hard about terran is scouting without having to waste energy on a scan.

by "fast" do you mean 2.25 and that we have hellions?
Reply Quote
Go Play it and find out.

Your asking for an opinion not a fact so I'd advise you use your own discretion and come up with a fulfilling explanation.
Reply Quote

by "fast" do you mean 2.25 and that we have hellions?

Well what I'm getting at is that compared to zergs late game MMM with tanks is very mobile. Watch the third game of Marine King vs Brown in the iron squid series. He pulls a full surround on him.
Edited by Sixilli on 12/21/2012 4:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
Terran armies require a lot of attention and careful positioning ESPECIALLY if you're going mech. One wrong un-siege and it's game over for you (that goes for every match up if you go mass mech).

Marines against banelings. Splitting on creep is difficult but I've personally had less trouble with it lately. However, if a Zerg is smart enough to use burrowed banes, that's when playing terran or bio, more specifically becomes a pain in the rear because you have to waste energy dropping scans and on top of that you must scan at the right places. If you waste the energy you will also lose all your bio to like 4 banes if they go undetected.

Z and P have the best AOE spells/attacks that deals amazingly against bio balls.

No race is the weakest. All races have their advantages and disadvantages at different stages in the game. Terran have it the best in the economic department as well as defense because of mules, the ability to mass repair, lift buildings, planetary fortresses, etc.
Reply Quote
Terran is a lot different. We're behind in a passive scenario unless we play reeeeeeeally greedy. Here's how the opening goes:

Open aggressively. The other races have basically mastered fighting off early terran aggression, so it's either all-in or you won't do anything. If you don't accomplish anything, you are so far behind you might as well gg.

Open safely. Good choice! You are now behind, but generally safe against most aggression. Good work so far !

Open greedily. You are EVEN. You require perfect scouting or you auto lose to cheese. Best of luck sir!

That's basically how it goes...and terran early game is supposed to be strong. Not to mention late game terran doesn't have much in the way of transitioning, so we're using the same units as before against the end-game units the other races are using.

We can cheese like a champ early game though.

We have an awkward early game and a tough late game. That, my friend, is why people say terran is the hardest.
Reply Quote
Hardest to play =/= weakest.

Most difficult micro.

Most difficult macro. (You realize that queuing a unit is a waste of resources? Queue three marines and that is 150 resources that could have been infrastructure or defense. If you accept that then you realize that you have a lot of different production structures that you need keep track of and just about everything has a different build time.)

Most dependent on hitting timings in standard play.

Most intricate build orders due to add-on swapping.

However, Terran probably has the best defenses and the best all-ins.

The other races have aspects that are very difficult, absolutely and I would take nothing away from the skills of anyone who plays another race at any level.

Zerg requires a very well tuned game sense, as in you need to make awesome reads with what is usually very limited scouting information. Low league Zerg take a TON of build order losses. However, as you get better with Zerg, that gets substantially easier. I think there's a far larger difference between bronze and silver Zerg then there is gold and plat. I think the difference between a plat and diamond Zerg is also a lot smaller than say a plat and diamond Terran. Zerg micro and macro is much more forgiving, but not seeing a build coming is much less forgiving.

Protoss is fairly simple to play up to platinum, but at higher levels I think Protoss has the most difficult scouting. Single supply differences in an opponent's build can require VASTLY different responses from Protoss. Protoss also has difficulty taking a 3rd base against either Terran or Zerg opponents that are determined to keep that from happening. Protoss also has the most difficulty dealing with harass cost effectively.

IDK, this is all opinion though. If you have difficulty remembering your queen inject timings, then Zerg is going to be very challenging to you. If you have difficulty placing force fields, Protoss is going to be very challenging to you. If you're very micro focused and aggressive, Terran might be easiest for you.

I think a lot of this reflects Terran's frustration of constantly being out-expanded and out macro'd when trying to turtle up to a deathball, dying to very easy to manage units (baneling/infestor), and just not being able to play the same greedy style that Protoss and Zerg can enjoy with the same ease that they enjoy doing it. So there's definitely some bias and some anger behind the complaints.

BTW, I play random.

Edit: In retrospect, OP is probably a troll.
Edited by Prome on 12/22/2012 4:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/21/2012 03:20 PMPosted by DarkSickle
10/10 Everyone knows Terran players are retarded. That's why.

Anyone looking at your posting history will quickly realize you aren't the sharpest arrow in the quiver.
Reply Quote
Well what I'm getting at is that compared to zergs late game MMM with tanks is very mobile. Watch the third game of Marine King vs Brown in the iron squid series. He pulls a full surround on him.

It's a choice to go with the slow broodlord/infestor composition. Ultra based compositions are far quicker and just as viable. They're starting to gain popularity and will be FAR more popular in HotS if Ultras stay where they are now... (35 damage vs ground!)

Zerg also doesn't really need to go to tier 3 every game, a lot of games can be won at tier 2.
Reply Quote
12/21/2012 03:20 PMPosted by DarkSickle

How does the bottom of gold feel, bro?

Merry Christmas, hope your platinum wishes come true.

Sincerely,

-Misery
Reply Quote
12/22/2012 04:07 PMPosted by Misery

How does the bottom of gold feel, bro?

Merry Christmas, hope your platinum wishes come true.

Sincerely,

-Misery

I tip my hat to you sir. Thanks for the laugh.
Reply Quote
play terran and find out for yourself genius
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]