StarCraft® II

Why terran macro is the hardest

I saw a lot of threads where zerg players say their race is the hardest in macro.

All zerg has to do is have a timing rhythm with their larvae injects and creep timing rhythms which are always CONSTANT 40 seconds for inject or 15 seconds for creep. When they need supply they don't need to look at their base to place the supply depot like terran instead they just hit s and then v. They don't need to tab through multiple building productions. The hardest part about zerg is KNOWING WHEN to switch from drone production to army production because terran can produce units and scv at same time where as zerg can only choose between units or workers and choosing both for zerg is inefficient. So zerg is all about constant timing patterns and a sense of when to stop droning.

Where as terran,

They have to JUGGLE a bunch of tasks of making sure all their production facilities ALWAYS have 1 unit queued up and if they que up two units for convenience they lose out on efficiency which could have been used to build another structure. This goes the same for scv production. And all the units come out at different times so its very difficult to que up 1 unit at all times when you are being harrassed. All though its okay to que up like 5 units when in endgame with boat loads of resources but terran endgame stands little chance against zerg endgame and we all know that.

I saw other things that zerg players complained was hard was that they had to replace a drone when they built a structure. Well, terran has to rally his scv back to the mineral line when its building a production unit as otherwise terran would have an idle scv when the production building is finished. And I see lot of zerg players making fun of how easy it is to call mules down. Yes its easy but if we call down mules, we can't scan you. And so we really can't get any scouting information from you if we choose to call down a mule. Where as zerg has the early overlord scouting and creep spread scouting as well as fast lings to scout. So terran has to choose to sacrafice between economy or scouting(orbital scan). Where as zerg can get both economy and scouting at the same time.

Zerg just needs to develop a timing pattern which is constant. Terran has to do a difficult juggling act.

And don't even get me started on protoss...their race is hilariously easy.

So all in all I would like to say Terran is the hardest race to macro. If you are a terran be proud of it.
Edited by jonc on 12/15/2012 9:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
now onto practicing so we can actually exploit terrans strength
Reply Quote
12/15/2012 09:16 AMPosted by jonc
They don't need to tab through multiple building productions.
This depends on your hotkey setup. I personally tap through all my hatcheries individually because of the advantages it gives. It's really not that bad when you get it into muscle memory.

They have to JUGGLE a bunch of tasks of making sure all their production facilities ALWAYS have 1 unit queued up and if they que up two units for convenience they lose out on efficiency which could have been used to build another structure.
Isn't this a little like always having an inject going on? If you want to argue that zerg only needs to deal with 1 interval while terran needs to deal with multiple, think of how rarely you are producing out of more than 2 production facilities and your command centers. Zerg deals with creep spread and injects without being able to do either on 1 hotkey.

When you take into account everything, zerg and terran macro is pretty equivalent in difficulty.
Reply Quote
They don't need to tab through multiple building productions.
This depends on your hotkey setup. I personally tap through all my hatcheries individually because of the advantages it gives. It's really not that bad when you get it into muscle memory.

They have to JUGGLE a bunch of tasks of making sure all their production facilities ALWAYS have 1 unit queued up and if they que up two units for convenience they lose out on efficiency which could have been used to build another structure.
Isn't this a little like always having an inject going on? If you want to argue that zerg only needs to deal with 1 interval while terran needs to deal with multiple, think of how rarely you are producing out of more than 2 production facilities and your command centers. Zerg deals with creep spread and injects without being able to do either on 1 hotkey.

When you take into account everything, zerg and terran macro is pretty equivalent in difficulty.

I've played zerg before, there isn't much advantage tabbing through hatcheries. Its best to just put them all on one key. Because you are usually either making all units or all drones. Care to share what advantage tabbing through hatcheries gives you?

Terran should be producing units from more then two facilities. Around the 7 to 10 minute mark they have to juggle usually at least 7 to 8 buildings(unless they are doing a all in), maybe even more depending on their build and also build supply depots, rally workers back to mineral line, call mules etc, and they have to constantly make sure its 1 unit qued up. Thats 10 times harder then spreading creep and hotkeying the queens, followed by hitting the inject hotkey and then clicking your hatch on the minimap every 40 seconds.
Edited by jonc on 12/15/2012 10:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
Well you certainly aren't speaking from experience.

6 1v1 wins as zerg.
0 1v1 wins as protoss.

Nope, no bias here.
Reply Quote
12/15/2012 09:59 AMPosted by jonc
I've played zerg before, there isn't much advantage tabbing through hatcheries.

Yeah you're whole 6 wins as zerg really makes you an expert on the subject eh?
Edited by TechNo on 12/15/2012 10:03 AM PST
Reply Quote

6 1v1 wins as zerg.
0 1v1 wins as protoss.

Nope, no bias here.

I played more games on custom games as protoss/zerg then the number of games you even played this season.
Reply Quote

6 1v1 wins as zerg.
0 1v1 wins as protoss.

Nope, no bias here.

I played more games on custom games as protoss/zerg then the number of games you even played this season.

Oh, my bad. Sorry for doubting your immense game knowledge. I mean, you recently got out of bronze, you know what you are talking about.
Reply Quote
U mad I call your race hilariously easy?

Why don't you say something productive on the thread and defend your own race rather then degrading my silver league.
Reply Quote
12/15/2012 10:07 AMPosted by jonc
U mad I call your race hilariously easy?

I just find it funny when low level players who have no idea what they are talking about make ridiculous and biased claims.

Why don't you say something productive on the thread

Because your thread is absolutely terrible.

defend your own race

Play a single 1v1 as protoss and get back to me.
Reply Quote

I just find it funny when low level players who have no idea what they are talking about make ridiculous and biased claims.

If my thread is terrible why are you even posting on it?

Second, this is terran section so my intended audience for this thread was for terrans.

Third, players who are in bronze represent about 40 percent of the active gaming population so once you get out of bronze thats top 60 percent. I am top 8 silver so that would make me top 50 percent. So I am a low level player for being top 50 percent?

I presented my observations on the thread. All you are doing is insulting my game level based on what the blizzard system has ranked me. Hidden MMR is something you can't see so why do you even bother bashing my current league?
Edited by jonc on 12/15/2012 10:25 AM PST
Reply Quote

Second, this is terran section so my intended audience for this thread was for terrans.

Third, players who are in bronze represent about 40 percent of the active gaming population so once you get out of bronze thats top 60 percent. I am top 8 silver so that would make me top 50 percent. So I am a low level player for being top 50 percent?

I presented my observations on the thread. All you are doing is insulting my game level based on what the blizzard system has ranked me. Hidden MMR is something you can't see so why do you even bother bashing my current league?

1. You're so stupid, it's painful.

2. You have to at least half of brain and some experience to make an observation which you clearly don't have.

3. You don't !@#$ with TechNo. He will literally rip you a new %^-*!@#.

4. What did you seriously hope to accomplished with this post? "Hey all you zergs! Your race is so easy to macro with, you can like build drones and do timing stuff way easier than Terran and that's what is keeping me in Silver!"
Edited by DarkSickle on 12/15/2012 11:14 AM PST
Reply Quote

1. You're so stupid, it's painful.

2. You have to at least half of brain and some experience to make an observation which you clearly don't have.

3. You don't !@#$ with TechNo. He will literally rip you a new %^-*!@#.

4. What did you seriously hope to accomplished with this post? "Hey all you zergs! Your race is so easy to macro with, you can like build drones and do timing stuff way easier than Terran and that's what is keeping me in Silver!"

This is terran section if you don't like it then go back to your zerg or protoss section or don't post. Even if I was bashing zerg or protoss which I am not(it just so happens to be the truth hurts zerg and toss players), I said my observations and nobody can disagree with the terran or zerg mechanics I just said. If you are going to bash someone you should disprove the other person first before bashing them.

Your entire arguement as well as techno is just "you are silver league you have no idea what you are talking about."

I said something with substance in this thread, your post can be considered spam/troll.
Reply Quote
And all the units come out at different times so its very difficult to que up 1 unit at all times when you are being harrassed. All though its okay to que up like 5 units when in endgame with boat loads of resources but terran endgame stands little chance against zerg endgame and we all know that.

First off, it's not the end of the world if you're queeing up 2 units at a time when you're on 2-3 bases. Second, you should never be queuing up 5 units, even in the late game, that's when you build more production.

Yes its easy but if we call down mules, we can't scan you. And so we really can't get any scouting information from you if we choose to call down a mule.

Terrans have other options for scouting than just scan. Sending an SCV around the map can scout out expansions or their army position/composition. Any harassment you do also gives you scouting information. A drop in their main can reveal their tech and whether they're on lair or hive, and any units they respond with will tell you what their army is made of.

Every race has to deal with juggling tasks for their macro. They're not all exactly the same, but they all require a lot of attention to be efficient. Also, I now how everyone emphasizes only queuing up one unit at a time, it becomes much easier to macro when you have two queued up, and it doesn't make a huge difference. Especially at your level, don't try to be perfect, just try to be a little bit better than last time.
Reply Quote
Dude terran macro isn't really any harder than protoss or zerg, i will admit that that terran building structures become inferior when you hit the lategame and trade armies, but that is why terran can abuse mules and get a bigger army so there armies can snowball really well if they take 1 battle.
Reply Quote
You keep arguing with people that this is "The terran section, get out".

Doesn't sound one sided :S
Reply Quote
12/15/2012 12:57 PMPosted by Terok
Dude terran macro isn't really any harder than protoss or zerg, i will admit that that terran building structures become inferior when you hit the lategame and trade armies, but that is why terran can abuse mules and get a bigger army so there armies can snowball really well if they take 1 battle.

Why you think mules give us an a huge advantage? Its for economical purposes to CATCH UP with the protoss ability to chrono boost faster workers and to match zergs ability to like train multiple drones at once.

Chrono boost, larva and mules are all balanced in their economical purposes. All 3 races are balanced overall.

What I am saying is that terran is the hardest to macro compared to the other races.
Edited by jonc on 12/15/2012 1:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
I saw a lot of threads where zerg players say their race is the hardest in macro.

All zerg has to do is have a timing rhythm with their larvae injects and creep timing rhythms which are always CONSTANT 40 seconds for inject or 15 seconds for creep. When they need supply they don't need to look at their base to place the supply depot like terran instead they just hit s and then v. They don't need to tab through multiple building productions. The hardest part about zerg is KNOWING WHEN to switch from drone production to army production because terran can produce units and scv at same time where as zerg can only choose between units or workers and choosing both for zerg is inefficient. So zerg is all about constant timing patterns and a sense of when to stop droning.

Where as terran,

They have to JUGGLE a bunch of tasks of making sure all their production facilities ALWAYS have 1 unit queued up and if they que up two units for convenience they lose out on efficiency which could have been used to build another structure. This goes the same for scv production. And all the units come out at different times so its very difficult to que up 1 unit at all times when you are being harrassed. All though its okay to que up like 5 units when in endgame with boat loads of resources but terran endgame stands little chance against zerg endgame and we all know that.

I saw other things that zerg players complained was hard was that they had to replace a drone when they built a structure. Well, terran has to rally his scv back to the mineral line when its building a production unit as otherwise terran would have an idle scv when the production building is finished. And I see lot of zerg players making fun of how easy it is to call mules down. Yes its easy but if we call down mules, we can't scan you. And so we really can't get any scouting information from you if we choose to call down a mule. Where as zerg has the early overlord scouting and creep spread scouting as well as fast lings to scout. So terran has to choose to sacrafice between economy or scouting(orbital scan). Where as zerg can get both economy and scouting at the same time.

Zerg just needs to develop a timing pattern which is constant. Terran has to do a difficult juggling act.

And don't even get me started on protoss...their race is hilariously easy.

So all in all I would like to say Terran is the hardest race to macro. If you are a terran be proud of it.

A timing pattern that is constant? You know nothing about zerg. Zerg's gameplay is nothing near as clean cut and structured as a terran build order, and the fact terran set the tempo of the game from the start. Unless a zerg all-ins, a terran can decide before the game what kind of ZvT they want to play. There is nothing constant about anything a zerg does game in and game out unless their opponents play standard the same way all the time. (which is being less and less the case nowadays versus every terran doing a 9min marine tank push awhile back)

And you don't need to check if one unit is queued in every production facility. Hotkey them together, hit the hotkey, and it does it for you. I offrace as terran and protoss and my terran is probably low diamond, and my protoss plat. I find unit production as a protoss more annoying seeing as they can't just hit the keys while looking at a battle.

Stupid pointless thread. You're comparing two different races with 2 different styles of macro. Both rely on two different game sense where imo, terrans macro lies in APM where a zerg macro lies in game sense/scouting.
Reply Quote
12/15/2012 01:32 PMPosted by jonc
What I am saying is that terran is the hardest to macro compared to the other races.

Which is an irrational claim, you can not prove that in any way. Your experience in the game would also suggest you have very little experience to lean on to begin with.

I suggest not worrying about it ;) Anything that beats you is probably easier/OP.
Reply Quote
You're comparing two different races with 2 different styles of macro. Both rely on two different game sense where imo, terrans macro lies in APM where a zerg macro lies in game sense/scouting.

Since when is sense/scouting difficult?

The only reason why players think zerg is hard is because if they screw up in the start and forget to drone for like 3 seconds that error exponentially grows for zerg to the point where when zerg starts to switch to producing army they realize that their army isn't as big as they thought it would be.

So yes zerg's race is hard because its not forgiving but again the juggling act as terran is a lot harder. Also queing up 1 unit from hotkeys is still difficult because you can't see the timer bar so you are still losing efficiency once that unit finishes being produced you have to que up another one within a split second and every second you waste having an idle building structure is lost efficiency.
Edited by jonc on 12/15/2012 1:46 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]