StarCraft® II

Why terran macro is the hardest

12/15/2012 01:44 PMPosted by jonc
You're comparing two different races with 2 different styles of macro. Both rely on two different game sense where imo, terrans macro lies in APM where a zerg macro lies in game sense/scouting.

Since when is sense/scouting difficult?

The only reason why players think zerg is hard is because if they screw up in the start and forget to drone for like 3 seconds that error exponentially grows for zerg to the point where when zerg starts to switch to producing army they realize that their army isn't as big as they thought it would be.

So yes zerg's race is hard because its not forgiving but again the juggling act as terran is a lot harder. Also queing up 1 unit from hotkeys is still difficult because you can't see the timer bar so you are still losing efficiency once that unit finishes being produced you have to que up another one within a split second and every second you waste having an idle building structure is lost efficiency.

Trust me when you get a higher APM terran will become extremely easy. Using camera locations and your hotkeys will make everything easier. Now what makes zerg hard is that they have to rely on every hard counter. Let's say we go for a +1/+1 two base speedling timing attack and we run into blue flame helions. That game will most likely be very hard for a zerg to win. (I know this timing attack wouldn't usually hit on two bases but you get the idea) You also have to take into account that a zerg has to rely on larava. Something no other race has anything close to. Lets say we forget to inject during a battle and we have 4 hatcheries up. That's 16 missed units.
Edited by Sixilli on 12/16/2012 12:35 AM PST
Reply Quote
lol so many mad zergs go back to your section, jonc good on you anyone who can make zerg rage over truth makes me happy
Reply Quote
terrans crying over something again. u dont see that all the time...

aww wait u do
Reply Quote
I saw a lot of threads where zerg players say their race is the hardest in macro.

All zerg has to do is have a timing rhythm with their larvae injects and creep timing rhythms which are always CONSTANT 40 seconds for inject or 15 seconds for creep. When they need supply they don't need to look at their base to place the supply depot like terran instead they just hit s and then v. They don't need to tab through multiple building productions. The hardest part about zerg is KNOWING WHEN to switch from drone production to army production because terran can produce units and scv at same time where as zerg can only choose between units or workers and choosing both for zerg is inefficient. So zerg is all about constant timing patterns and a sense of when to stop droning.

Where as terran,

They have to JUGGLE a bunch of tasks of making sure all their production facilities ALWAYS have 1 unit queued up and if they que up two units for convenience they lose out on efficiency which could have been used to build another structure. This goes the same for scv production. And all the units come out at different times so its very difficult to que up 1 unit at all times when you are being harrassed. All though its okay to que up like 5 units when in endgame with boat loads of resources but terran endgame stands little chance against zerg endgame and we all know that.

I saw other things that zerg players complained was hard was that they had to replace a drone when they built a structure. Well, terran has to rally his scv back to the mineral line when its building a production unit as otherwise terran would have an idle scv when the production building is finished. And I see lot of zerg players making fun of how easy it is to call mules down. Yes its easy but if we call down mules, we can't scan you. And so we really can't get any scouting information from you if we choose to call down a mule. Where as zerg has the early overlord scouting and creep spread scouting as well as fast lings to scout. So terran has to choose to sacrafice between economy or scouting(orbital scan). Where as zerg can get both economy and scouting at the same time.

Zerg just needs to develop a timing pattern which is constant. Terran has to do a difficult juggling act.

And don't even get me started on protoss...their race is hilariously easy.

So all in all I would like to say Terran is the hardest race to macro. If you are a terran be proud of it.

in term of difficulty, all race macro mechanic are about the same....
but in term of which race rely on macro the most, it gets to be zerg
Reply Quote
Terran macro is difficult because you need to know when to add additional buildings. This isnt as clear cut as protoss and zerg is.
protoss - 3 gate ways and tech buildings per expansions. Pretty much can get them whenever you expand.
Zerg - expand pretty much when you can, queen slightly before expansion finishes, and tech when you need it.
Terran- 3-4 rax and 1 tech per expansion. but tech labs? reactors? do i tech to medivacs or do i drop 2 rax? so on and so forth

Also, the total cost of buildings for terran builds is significantly higher than the rest of the races.
Edited by htpkDHo on 12/16/2012 9:19 AM PST
Reply Quote
LAWLAWLAWLAWLALWLALWLAWL! Lets play a game, I will be Terran and you can also be Terran. I will show you how your race isn't the hardest race in macro, that you are just bad.
Reply Quote
Terran macro is difficult because you need to know when to add additional buildings. This isnt as clear cut as protoss and zerg is.

Also, the total cost of buildings for terran builds is significantly higher than the rest of the races.

I decided to leave in the two points I have problems with. The first I believe I only make more buildings if I have the money. So that's actually super easy. Do a macro round and ask yourself do I have extra money? If yes make another production facility. Now for the second point isn't true at all. The building costs are equal all around.
Edited by Sixilli on 12/16/2012 11:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
12/16/2012 10:39 AMPosted by Hunta
LAWLAWLAWLAWLALWLALWLAWL! Lets play a game, I will be Terran and you can also be Terran. I will show you how your race isn't the hardest race in macro, that you are just bad.

actually, terran has the most actions in their macro cycle they have to return back to base camera for

i have to add raxes, lift themm to fit addons, etc. as zerg i can inject from the minimap, as protoss i can queue 6 gates to be made by the same probe and then go micro somewhere else

as terran i have to do all of this, mule when i hit 50 energy, set rally points for all new buildings.

when i buy new units, i dont select them, hit shift + 1 and then go on microing my happy way. i can't prebind the eggs my units come out of, or hotkey my units as they are warping in. a large part of terran macro is switching back and forth between your main and your army to add in new units as the pop out

when i get supply blocked, i dont have to get to wait 25 seconds like zerg or protoss, as terran, i must wait 30 seconds for my depots to finish. every time i build a depot, i need to remember to rally it back or my worker will be idle. If i see a mule that is near it's expiration returning to mine, i must click it and stop it from mining or ill lose out on a few minerals in the long run

terran macro is considered the most difficult for a reason, it's a lot less forgiving than massive larvae and gateway stacks. In between all of the solid macro required to play terran (it is and always will be a mechanics race, even since brood war) you have to micro your heart out.

edit: you're prob right tho, that guy who is whining prob just sux :D
Edited by sAdgiRLtt on 12/16/2012 11:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
12/16/2012 01:21 AMPosted by Core
lol so many mad zergs go back to your section, jonc good on you anyone who can make zerg rage over truth makes me happy

Really? Seriously? You?
Reply Quote
12/16/2012 11:22 AMPosted by sAdgiRLtt

edit: you're prob right tho, that guy who is whining prob just sux :D

I really want to play him and beat him with his own races mechanics ;p
Reply Quote
terrans crying over something again. u dont see that all the time...

aww wait u do

Maybe the next 5500 games you'll evolve over narrow mindedness and potentially plat
Reply Quote
This thread is really pointless it's like 1 ignorant person vs. 500 others trying to correct him.
Reply Quote
One main difference I see is that when I am going to be supply blocked and I'm in a battle as zerg I press 4 s v v v where as with terran I have to go back to base and select an SCV and find a place to build a depot and then build it and then return to the battle.
Reply Quote
12/17/2012 07:46 PMPosted by BlackDeath
One main difference I see is that when I am going to be supply blocked and I'm in a battle as zerg I press 4 s v v v where as with terran I have to go back to base and select an SCV and find a place to build a depot and then build it and then return to the battle.

or if you want to lay new raxes, facts, ports, new bases that have to be landed, add sensor towers, siege tanks defensively, etc. i think there is a lot more to do in base as terran
Reply Quote
ur talking in a arrogant fashion and assuming ur playing at the absolute maximum there is not a single player platnium or lower and definitely not at bronze who doesn't queue up units. ur treating the ability that u can queue units as being a bad thing. Also ur pretending u don't queue up more then 2 units at once when that's just flat out a lie not to mention u can get away with that in lower leagues easily.

all ur talk about wasted efficiency is null and void because ur treating the ability to negate that via queuing up units as being a bad thing for macroing.
Reply Quote

we're not raging cause of the truth but cause we care about our brain dead enemies so that they can actually understand what's real or not. Well looks like it's too late no wonder ur kind is still in bronze.
Reply Quote
12/15/2012 01:44 PMPosted by jonc
Since when is sense/scouting difficult?
You really are a stupid one.
Reply Quote
12/15/2012 10:20 AMPosted by jonc
this is terran section so my intended audience for this thread was for terrans.
So, if only terrans saw this, your thread would be less terrible?
Reply Quote
LOL WTF, Now a bronze is saying zerg is ez
Reply Quote

Well, terran has to rally his scv back to the mineral line when its building a production unit as otherwise terran would have an idle scv when the production building is finished. And I see lot of zerg players making fun of how easy it is to call mules down. Yes its easy but if we call down mules, we can't scan you. And so we really can't get any scouting information from you if we choose to call down a mule. Where as zerg has the early overlord scouting and creep spread scouting as well as fast lings to scout.

Zerg just needs to develop a timing pattern which is constant. Terran has to do a difficult juggling act.

And don't even get me started on protoss...their race is hilariously easy.

So all in all I would like to say Terran is the hardest race to macro. If you are a terran be proud of it.

Wow. So first of all, why not just use shift click to rally back to the mineral line after builing in one step? Second, a hellion is a way better scout then a fast ling. Lastly, the fact that you are argueing with a masters player and think your right shows your arrogance and stubbornness. We're bronze for a reason. We suck. Honestly, how can you possibly say protoss is easy without playing a single game of it?

I assume you heard that protoss is easy on the forums and automatically assume it to be true because it makes your main race look better. It almost pains me to know that !@#$heads like you exist. I wont be back to this thread because I want to forget about it, dont bother replying.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]