StarCraft® II

The Battlecruiser Buff - Let's make it happen

MVP - StarCraft
It's a new year, and it's time we take a serious look at one of the Unbuffables: the beloved Cattlebruiser. I believe I have two simple changes that will buff this unit in a meaningful way without making it even remotely overpowered.

Battlecruiser
- Attack speed decreased by half. Ground attack increased to 16 from 8. Air attack increased to 12 from 6. (Both scale by +2 per upgrade.)
- Range increased to 7 from 6.

The changes in attack are critical. By doubling the damage of each shot but cutting the attack speed in half, we leave the direct attack damage completely untouched. However, with this change we:

1. Increase the damage of the initial volley substantially and
2. Make the attack scale much better vs armor.

This would literally turn the Battlecruiser into a powerhouse without making it even remotely overpowered, since its counters would still take it down just as quickly, albeit perhaps not shrugging off its return fire so easily.

The change in range is to help the Battlecruiser micro. Most of its counters are of equal range or greater. A simple +1 range buff would greatly help the Battlecruisers stay alive and fight back.

Let me and Blizzard know what you think! Give feedback, support the ideas if you like them, or offer alternative ideas if you don't.

(Posted in Beta and General Discussion for widespread feedback.)

Blizzard's response via Cloaken, page 19:

We were discussing this internally today and reminded ourselves that the BC actually received a buff recently via the combining of mech armor upgrades. We're not altogether opposed to looking at this kind of idea again should the Cruiser prove in need of more, but as of right now we do not have it as a top priority.

I know that's not the sexiest news in the world, but we really do appreciate all of your enthusiasm and the activity that has surrounded this post. We love the Cruiser too! (I've got my Megabloks Cruiser at arms reach on my desk - the coolest Christmas gift of 2012!)
Edited by Doncroft on 1/7/2013 1:45 PM PST
YES +1 totally agree! :D
- Attack speed decreased by half. Ground attack increased to 12 from 6. Air attack increased to 16 from 8.
- Range increased to 7 from 6.

it feels like its a bit too much :/

maybe 8 from 6 and 10 from 8 ?
+1
Love the idea

That would actually lower the DPS. Which is no good.
This change makes the punch itself more powerful, with no change to the DPS.
Edited by Fonzy on 1/4/2013 1:04 PM PST
MVP - StarCraft

Coupled with halving the attack speed, that'd be a nerf, MectoEX.
Just one question for Doncroft. Do you think changing the upgrade scale would have a difference?
MVP - StarCraft
01/04/2013 01:05 PMPosted by VIPER
Just one question for Doncroft. Do you think changing the upgrade scale would have a difference?

This will change the upgrade scale. The power of each shot will increase by 2 instead of by 1, keeping the damage of the upgraded Battlecruiser the same as before but continuing to help it scale vs armor. Elegant, is it not?
And then give Battlecruisers the ability to attack 20 units at once!!!!!
Doncroft just quadrupled the DPS of a Battlecruiser. That's...that's a lot.

Excellent.
Except he didn't?

Ah, you ninja edited just to spite me, did you not?
Edited by SwansGoMoo on 1/4/2013 1:07 PM PST
Love the changes. Now add some splash damage to the Yamato Canon and let us get the game going!
MVP - StarCraft
01/04/2013 01:08 PMPosted by ThorDaWin
Love the changes. Now add some splash damage to the Yamato Canon and let us get the game going!

I personally would prefer the Raven to give the Yamato Cannon back to the Battlecruiser and just buff the old Seeker Missile with an energy requirement decrease and an added cooldown, but that's another story for another thread.
Say Doncroft, can you add one more thing to that list:
-Remove the random delay on the Battlecruiser's attack.
This delay actually removes a lot of dps from Battlecruisers whenever they switch targets:
  • Battlecruisers waste an additional 0-0.1875 seconds to reacquire a target after it leaves range and skirts back into range.
  • Battlecruisers waste an additional 0-0.1875 seconds to acquire a new target after killing the old one.
  • Battlecruisers waste an additional 0-0.1875 seconds to acquire a target at the beginning of a fight.
  • For a unit with such a high attack rate, this actually adds up to quite a bit of dps loss. From my own testing, this change alone makes the Battlecruiser a lot more useful, and what's more: Most people would never know the difference.

Edit: Doncroft, sorry. I play too much Warcraft, Starcraft, etc.
    Edited by TerranicII on 1/4/2013 1:15 PM PST
    Say Doncraft

:P

Nice fix ;P
    Edited by VIPER on 1/4/2013 1:18 PM PST
    Doncroft just quadrupled the DPS of a Battlecruiser. That's...that's a lot.

Excellent.
    Except he didn't?

Ah, you ninja edited just to spite me, did you not?

No, I read the OP again and realized I had derped.
    MVP - StarCraft
    Say Doncraft, can you add one more thing to that list:
    -Remove the random delay on the Battlecruiser's attack.
    This delay actually removes a lot of dps from Battlecruisers whenever they switch targets:
  • Battlecruisers waste an additional 0-0.1875 seconds to reacquire a target after it leaves range and skirts back into range.
  • Battlecruisers waste an additional 0-0.1875 seconds to acquire a new target after killing the old one.
  • Battlecruisers waste an additional 0-0.1875 seconds to acquire a target at the beginning of a fight.
  • For a unit with such a high attack rate, this actually adds up to quite a bit of dps loss. From my own testing, this change alone makes the Battlecruiser a lot more useful, and what's more: Most people would never know the difference.

Hmm, I'm not sure. I don't think its actual DPS vs a blob of targets needs an increase, though. By increasing the range as well as making it scale TWICE as good vs any kind of armor, I believe a meaningful difference can be made. I'll be interested to see what others think. I only just posted this. We'll see how it goes.

And my name is spelled with an O, TerranicII. You should know that by now.

Better, thank you. :)
    Edited by Doncroft on 1/4/2013 1:17 PM PST
    Another question:
    Is Blizzard watching us? Like this thread in particular?
    Another question:
    Is Blizzard watching us? Like this thread in particular?

BIG BROWDER IS WATCHING YOU!!!!!!!!!
    This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]