StarCraft® II

Who here does the 3 stalker rush PVP?

I think its time to learn it, is the version on TL

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/3_Stalker_Rush_%28vs._Protoss%29

Or do you do a different version?

Cause i'm just confused because with the build besides the brief pause do you just constantly make probes or cut at 20 if you scout a 4 gate?
Reply Quote
I run a 3 stalker rush about 75% of the time.

The timing of the 2nd gas varies based on what you want to do.

If I scout a 4-gate I can vastly delay them with the 3 stalkers so cutting probes at 20 would just negate any advantage you have. If I need to cut probes its usually not until about 24 or 26.

Here's a more detailed guide on it:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=305331
Reply Quote
3 stalker rush is a strong build PvP. Make you opp overreact then expo.

Had some success against a T early expo. Mix in a core ship helps you harass the min line then when they take out there marines out the bunker you can send in the stalkers
Reply Quote
The build orders on Liquipedia and Team Liquid are outdated and sub-optimal. I've been meaning make a post on the optimized 3 Stalker Opening that I use in PvP, but I haven't had the time to do a detailed write-up. Here's the general build order (with approximate times) and some notes on execution.

Build Order
9 Pylon (0:50)
Chrono Nexus x2
13 Gateway (1:45) (Scout)
15 Assimilator (when complete, 3 Probes)
Chrono Nexus x1
16 Pylon (2:30)
18 Cybernetics Core (2:50)
20 Gateway (3:20)
20 Assimilator (when complete, 2 Probes each)
Cut Probes @ 20
@100% Core: Warp Gate (3:45)
@100% Core: Stalker (3:45) (Chrono x1)
22 Pylon (3:55)
Resume Probes
@100% Gateway: Stalker x2 (4:30) (Chrono x2)

Basically, the build has slightly better economy and crisper timings than the versions posted on Team Liquid. A 3rd Chrono Boost is spent on Probes, the earlier 2nd Gateway lines up perfectly with the 1st Stalker popping out, and the second gas is up earlier. You will also note that the Probe cut at 20 is at optimal saturation for 1 Gas (16 minerals, 3 gas, 1 scout), which is maintained by putting 2 in each gas when the second Assimilator finishes (15 minerals, 4 gas, 1 scout, 1 in production). Depending on what you transition into, you will either transfer 2 additional Probes into gas immediately after you start your Stalkers (e.g. 2-Gate Expand with Sentries, Tech) or you will wait a little longer to do so (e.g. 5-Stalker Rush). And the best response of course depends on what you scouted.
Reply Quote
I basically do a slightly delayed 3 stalker rush, by getting 2 gases at 15, then chronoing out 2 stalkers from 1 gate and the 3rd from a 2nd gate, followed by either an expand, a 3rd gate, a robo or TC or Stargate, based on what I scout, or the map.

I generally prefer stargate or DT expand after 3 stalker rushing.
Reply Quote
3 Stalker rush every single game.

I mess around to see what I can get away with. I mostly just throw down a robo and expand if they aren't 4 gating.
Edited by RyterA on 1/17/2013 6:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
Ok thankyou everyone for the in depth answers, i'm going to work on doing tonight!

<3
Reply Quote

Basically, the build has slightly better economy and crisper timings than the versions posted on Team Liquid. A 3rd Chrono Boost is spent on Probes, the earlier 2nd Gateway lines up perfectly with the 1st Stalker popping out, and the second gas is up earlier. You will also note that the Probe cut at 20 is at optimal saturation for 1 Gas (16 minerals, 3 gas, 1 scout), which is maintained by putting 2 in each gas when the second Assimilator finishes (15 minerals, 4 gas, 1 scout, 1 in production). Depending on what you transition into, you will either transfer 2 additional Probes into gas immediately after you start your Stalkers (e.g. 2-Gate Expand with Sentries, Tech) or you will wait a little longer to do so (e.g. 5-Stalker Rush). And the best response of course depends on what you scouted.

This may come across as a very stupid question but ill put down a scenario that could happen.

Ok, your playing on daybreak and you scout a 4 gate. The person 4 gating places a proxy pylon or two down just down from the ramp at your 3rd and waits for a warpin cycle before attacking, is this a situation where you would 5 stalker rush or go more for a sentry type play?
Reply Quote
5 stalker rush if that happens and micro well so you don't lose one. You give priority to killing his probes and denying proxy pylons.

If he gets a proxy pylong down and you can't do anything about it then you drop a third gate and chrono out units while not getting supply blocked.

If he decides to take his time pushing you can get sentries and just not let him in your base but chances are you'll have to outmicro him by kiting his zealots and possibly bringing probes into action.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]