StarCraft® II

Finally tried 1gate fast expand and i like it

Its a small thing but i finally made it to gold yay and made it quickly to top 8. I had been in silver forever

I'd pretty much solely used 3gate robo for PvP AND PvT which was working pretty well. but playing the top gold and lower plat I started being smashed by terran using tighter timing pushes like ~ 7 to 10 minute attacks ie, 2 rax push with expand etc.

So I've just started using the (now old) 1 Gate fast expand PvT. Oh man, what was I missing out on all this time?? I know its an old build but it really works for me. I just love how everything slots together so nicely.

The only issue is i find the econ is TOO good. I have quickly too many resources right after the first attack (~7:15). So think i need to learn 5gate fast expand next or get better as I'm attacking with reads to quickly and simultaneously lay down a couple more gateways + forge + robo etc?

How do others deal with floating so many resources at the start with this build?

incase anyone is in the same boat as me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUTsr78-cxA

Here's a 5gate fast expand i want to learn next
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCU6-vF62yo

Are there other build's I should try to learn for PvT which is a progression from this?
Edited by Wired on 1/10/2013 4:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/10/2013 04:28 PMPosted by Wired
The only issue is i find the econ is TOO good. I have quickly too many resources right after the first attack (~7:15). So think i need to learn 5gate fast expand next or get better as I'm attacking with reads to quickly and simultaneously lay down a couple more gateways + forge + robo etc?

There is never such thing as "Too good" of an economy. If you find yourself with too many resources, then that means you have not enough infrastructure for 2Bases. I'm assuming you have been used to 1Base plays, and therefore, you are used to building enough structures for 1Base all game long. However, when you have 2Bases, you need to spend your excess resources quickly by throwing down higher-tech buildings like the Robotics and Twilight Council as well as getting more upgrades from the Forge.

01/10/2013 04:28 PMPosted by Wired
How do others deal with floating so many resources at the start with this build?

After throwing a Nexus down, we normally get 3-4 Gates to defend against early pressure. Should no pressure come withing a minute or two, we throw down our extra Gateways or our Robotics. To spend excess resources, we invest Minerals into extra Gateways or excess Gas into Tech buildings like the Robotics Facility, Forges, or Twilight Council and into Upgrades like +1 Armor and Charge in PvT.

On 2Bases, a Protoss should build towards 6-7 Gateways and a Robotics Facility if he is going for Colossus tech. If he is going for Gateway tech like Templar, a typical 2Base layout would have 8-10 Gateways.

Here's a 5gate fast expand i want to learn next
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCU6-vF62yo

5Gate on 1Base is a terrible build. Not only can 1Base support a maximum of 4 Gates, but you have delayed the extra income on Gateways that you will not use for a solid 3-4 minutes. It's much better to spend some of those Gateways on the Nexus.

Are there other build's I should try to learn for PvT which is a progression from this?

Try a Nexus First or Parting's Triple Nexus Build.
Edited by Guilt on 1/11/2013 3:35 AM PST
Reply Quote
Thanks for your reply :)

actually what i meant by having too much resources, this is right as i attack not for the entire game or anything ;) Once i attack i end up with 400+ resources (even with using my warp cycles). I think i just need to throw down an extra gateway or two right as i push. (or a robo). then twilight after i push

that 5 gate isn't on 1 base though its actually on 2 base its similar to the sase 1gate expand (starts identical till expand) but it goes right for 5 gates after the expand instead of pushing off 3 gate. I've tried it a few times and works quite well...based on scouting i can either put the extra 2 gates down or go robo

Nexus first looks interesting I've found it TL so will read about it. I've also looked up Partings triple nexus build looks interesting too Cheers
Reply Quote
Congrats :)

Also, you can try some Nexus first or double expand builds in WOL, but once you hit Swarm, forget about Nexus first, and consider 1 gate Expo to be a little more risky than before, thanks to the new Reaper changes :P
Reply Quote
yeah i saw that day 9 episode yesterday with the HOTS reaper antics. crazy town. cool yeah I'm gunna try some nexus first see how it goes too for WOL
Edited by Wired on 1/11/2013 1:43 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]