StarCraft® II

Mechanics of Starcraft: Hellion

01/06/2013 07:07 PMPosted by Doncroft
Watching it right now. I thought it was an excellent episode.

I agree, but there is one small problem. Apparently I need to check the sections zappy does from now on because he fails at memes.
Reply Quote
01/06/2013 08:00 PMPosted by zappy
medivacs

And i quote, "This is the hellion thread."
Reply Quote
01/06/2013 08:15 PMPosted by Vendetta
Watching it right now. I thought it was an excellent episode.

I agree, but there is one small problem. Apparently I need to check the sections zappy does from now on because he fails at memes.

Are you new to the Battle.net forums?
Reply Quote
Damn, who let this idiot in here?
01/06/2013 08:20 PMPosted by blitz
He is my friend vendetta, he makes these videos, well, most of them.
Edited by zappy on 1/6/2013 8:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/06/2013 08:20 PMPosted by blitz
What tipped you off?
Reply Quote
I loved this so much, even as a protoss. Gonna start watching all of these :D
Reply Quote
vendetta you should add me on skype.

Thanks wingblade!!
Reply Quote
01/06/2013 08:31 PMPosted by Wingblade
I loved this so much, even as a protoss. Gonna start watching all of these :D
Awesome, actually, if you want to be on the show, i have a few very protoss ideas for the next few episodes....

01/06/2013 08:26 PMPosted by Vendetta
What tipped you off?
Should i have said, "up until recently made the videos"?
Reply Quote
Ah yes, the Hellion.

Military Role

Fast Cav, meant to flank - however it's weapon reduces any chance that it would be of any use in true combat. This design could have ONLY been designed because of the Zerg. Most of the Terran weapons would easily out range this poor guy.

Watched the video. Love'n it.

It can be confirmed that the weapon being used is obviously using a lot of pressure and gaseous. It kills Zerg because the fumes are able to slip in through the cracks and splits in Zerg Chitin and essentially, broils them from the inside out. This was quoted by Blizzard.
I'm not sure if Blizzard knows how "flame throwers" work; they got the thermite thing correct for turning flames blue but as you stated in the vid? Military level Flame throwers literally spew a gelatinous substance that acts as molten material. Most popular stuff? Napalm.

I would suggest as well that Vespene could be a new type of fuel. Maybe you don't pay for it in game because, the fuels are premanufature as a special mixture and come with the Terrans as supplies.

Powerplant
Easily an electric powered engine. And since Terrans are using Fusion cores now in all sorts of levels? I wouldn't worry about not getting enough Amps or Volts. Electric Forklift (work with them every day) are an enourmous amount of torqe and their battery packs could easily fit into one's trunk. This is just going off of batteries.
Check out the Rimac or the Ultra Aero EV. These things produce 1,000 HP. Should be plenty for an Hellion all terrain vehicle which, in untamed areas? Wouldn't want to do more than 80MPH anyway.

If the Electric Motor doesn't fit (because you do hear what sounds like a Combustion Engine) check out motors like these - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgm1XmuZWpU
Radial styled motors work too. Through some military class necessity into the design (because necessity is the mother of all invention) and you can imagine that the Hellion could have a hell of powerplant.

HellBat - This is one of the those cases where no matter how you look at it? Doesn't make much sense. No matter how you work it? The HellBat would be an expensive Effing ride. Also all that extra mechanical crap would leave little room for Precious fuel for the weapon. Your extra weight would have a dramatic effect on your performance.

I get the same feeling about the Viking, to be honest. It'd be so expensive and so performance gimped that it'd have little value in true military applications.
Reply Quote
01/06/2013 08:44 PMPosted by Ponera
vendetta you should add me on skype.
Done

01/06/2013 08:48 PMPosted by zappy
LOL i'd love to see you manage the threads, organize the episodes AND make the videos.
Reply Quote
Just a heads up, most of your post is excellent, but i do have a few issues...
01/06/2013 09:10 PMPosted by Einharjar
I would suggest as well that Vespene could be a new type of fuel. Maybe you don't pay for it in game because, the fuels are premanufature as a special mixture and come with the Terrans as supplies.
Even if vespene provides the fuel, as you suggest, it would have little to nothing to do with the cost of the unit, or anything else. It would have to come pre-prepared in whatever modified form in order for the hellion to use it, at which point, for all we know, it could be anything.

And since Terrans are using Fusion cores now in all sorts of levels?
I really doubt they could have a fusion reactor on something as small, cheap, and most of all, disposable as a hellion. Regardless of tech advantages, i can't imagine that this would be as ubiquitous as say, internal combustion. But, i don't really know for sure, and i have been wrong before.

This is one of the those cases where no matter how you look at it?
I don't want to say that yet, but let me put it this way: i am looking forward to explaining the battle hellion as much as i am the archon/reaper/raven.
01/06/2013 09:23 PMPosted by Vendetta
LOL i'd love to see you manage the threads, organize the episodes AND make the videos.
What can i say, i'm a boss.
Edited by zappy on 1/6/2013 10:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/06/2013 08:26 PMPosted by Vendetta
What tipped you off?

Your post history...
Reply Quote
Vendetta has been helping AoS for a while now, he's totally cool.

PLEASE DONT TROLL HIM
Reply Quote

I think AoS, MoS and the new series coming out from our group would LOVE for zappy to stop slacking
Edited by Ponera on 1/6/2013 11:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
Vendetta has been helping AoS for a while now, he's totally cool.

PLEASE META-TROLL HIM BECAUSE HE IS A TROLL
Fixed.
Reply Quote
inb4 smarter people tell zappy why he's wrong

OH WAIT
Good thing you caught yourself early, you started that thought with two impossibilities.
Reply Quote
UNCERTAINTY. Are you sure of what you said?
Reply Quote
I believe the answer you guys are looking for in terms of why the upgrade makes the pre-igniter flame "blue" is that the temperature of the flame is higher after the Infernal Pre-igniter upgrade, and thus, does more damage to light armor, but still does not affect thickened plates on heavy armor, for aforementioned reasons.

For reference :P

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_is_the_blue_flame_hotter_than_yellow_flame
Edited by Zamara on 1/7/2013 6:36 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]