StarCraft® II

Blizzard refusal to maintain game

That's why they have single player games, and living in caves.

but if you want to be social with random people from around the world, expect some rules to be broken, expect things to not be your idea of a perfect world.
Reply Quote
That's why they have single player games, and living in caves.

but if you want to be social with random people from around the world, expect some rules to be broken, expect things to not be your idea of a perfect world.

Some people just want to watch the Starcraft world burn...
Reply Quote
personally i dont think there is anything to complain about backstabbing in team games. perfectly normal and acceptable...chances are you did something that annoyed them enough...

people that backstabs unprovoked is like 1 in a million...

if blizzard is going to take action against those people they should tackle harrassment first... its alot more common and completely unacceptable...
Reply Quote
01/07/2013 02:33 PMPosted by Kaivax
I've personally never encountered a random teammate that didn't play roughly as I expected.

'Backstabber' played exactly as the OP expected. That was the problem.

As for taking this stuff seriously, I think you would need to take a very subjective slant on the definition for that word to hold true. I've lost over 100 straight games to get to bronze in the past and not a single email from Blizz. That in my book at least is not taking smurfing seriously.
Reply Quote
I've played thousands of team games ( no clue why as they are pretty dumb ) and have only had a couple of back stabs ever. Maybe in bronze league team games it happen more often, though i monobattled up to masters in team games and im horrible at this game. Not sure how it's possible to be bronze.
Reply Quote
That was quite the little fit the OP threw.
Reply Quote
Morew like blizzard doesnt really care about balance in game. Why revolve a game balanced around close spawns? SHould be removed long ago. SO stupid
Reply Quote
01/07/2013 02:37 PMPosted by Inglorious
How many meanings does the term "smurfing" have these days? It seems it's used in so many ways that I'm not even sure what it means anymore.

Blizzard generally uses "smurf" to mean people who throw games, though many players refer to it as an account aside from your main account, whether tanking on it or not.
Reply Quote
01/08/2013 03:06 AMPosted by Snow
How many meanings does the term "smurfing" have these days? It seems it's used in so many ways that I'm not even sure what it means anymore.

Blizzard generally uses "smurf" to mean people who throw games, though many players refer to it as an account aside from your main account, whether tanking on it or not.

I'd say that this is basically true. Most people just call their alternate accounts smurf accounts, even if that's not what they are.
Reply Quote
01/07/2013 03:15 PMPosted by PotatoLiSK
Don't do randoms. How many times per month must I say this?

I've never been backstabbed in ~300 4v4 randoms.

I mean, backstabbers, simply by the fact that they lose pretty much every game they're in, are the dirtiest of dirt league. Just having an MMR that isn't absolutely god-awful means you'll never get backstabbed.
Reply Quote
It's an issue that we take seriously, along with smurfing, botting, etc.

There are some good ideas floating around for dealing with it more directly from the standpoint of the game service.

I've personally never encountered a random teammate that didn't play roughly as I expected.
Wait, smurfing is a bad thing?
Reply Quote
01/08/2013 04:53 AMPosted by Greasy
Wait, smurfing is a bad thing?

When used the way Blizzard usually means it, yes. Smurfing, per Blizzard (from what I've seen), is when you intentionally tank your MMR (lose games on purpose) to get into lower leagues so you can troll lower league players. This is an abuse of the ranking system.
Reply Quote

As for taking this stuff seriously, I think you would need to take a very subjective slant on the definition for that word to hold true. I've lost over 100 straight games to get to bronze in the past and not a single email from Blizz. That in my book at least is not taking smurfing seriously.

This is kind of a ridiculous assessment. Basically, you're stating that Blizzard doesn't take smurfing seriously because they can't monitor hundreds of thousands of players all the time and proactively jump down anyone's throat for "suspicious" activity. That's what the reporting system is for. If you tanked to get into Bronze and then destroy a Bronze League player and he checks your Match History and sees that you've lost your last 100 games and your highest league placement is like Diamond, then he can report you for cheating. This alerts Blizzard to your activity and they can respond, that's what the reporting system is for.

Expecting them to monitor every player all the time is an absurd expectation.
Reply Quote
01/07/2013 01:26 PMPosted by supaflyz
I have yet to meet a backstabber in my 2000+ of team games. Where is this elusive race of trolls you speak of?
Interestingly enough, I only played like 400 team games and came across like 10 of them. 2 in one game once, too! I actually ended up killing both of them because I was just vastly superior to them. Then the enemy team steamrolled us :P
Reply Quote
Backstabbing is so uncommon that it goes unoticed. Personally I've been backstabbed about 2 times for all the thousands of team games I've played and sometimes there will be people afk or just leave but I'm not mad because I don't take team games serious and you shouldn't either.
Reply Quote
I think that the real solution would be to make the 'block' player work both for communication and for game play. If either person is already waiting for a game to start, the matchmaking system should 'skip' that game for the other person.

I'm sure that this will be (ab)used for more than interpersonal behavior issues - there is a very good chance that people will block players that they simply don't work well with or that they consider 'bad'. So, maybe the 'blocks' reset each season to keep things manageable and to consider changes in people's skill - or there is a communication block (forever) and a game play block (seasonal).
Reply Quote
Out of curiousity, how much do you think the community managers play?
can't check the profiles for any information.
Reply Quote
01/07/2013 01:24 PMPosted by MaritimeCom
violating the rules governing accounts on Blizzard servers

Can you explain which rule he is breaking?

Annoying? Yes. Against the rules? Doubt it. Play arranged teams? Yes. Good talk.

01/07/2013 02:33 PMPosted by Kaivax
It's an issue that we take seriously, along with smurfing, botting, etc.

Taking it seriously is one thing. I believe you do for sure, but what CAN be done? What can be done about any of these? Just ban them when you find out? They'll be back.

Best option is play 1v1 or arranged team games. Blizz has far bigger fish to fry and, though they may agree that it sucks, there is really nothing they can do about it.
Edited by EllisD on 1/8/2013 8:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/07/2013 03:33 PMPosted by Hekler
1, it has only 1. Anyone not using it to discribe a high league player tanking their MMR so they can troll low leaguers is using it wrong.

according to this vague definition, then if a high league player tanks his MMR just to play easy games against low league players, then he is not a smurf.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]