StarCraft® II

Looking for Dependable Winning Toss Strategy

I don't play as much as I would like but lately I have been winning much more. HOwever, I have been mysteriously sent to bronze 3v3 team league (my favorite match type) after a victory where I was top player. I think I am doing better but I am probably missing out on key moves that will help my game. I know I am not the best player but I really haven't been able to play that much. I just want to be successful in the games I do get to play. So any strategy, build orders, and other ideas on how to improve could help. Mostly just strategies and build order help because I don't want to post replays to improve my microing, thats just something that will come with time. Thank you.
Reply Quote
No I mean in general. Even for 1v1
Reply Quote
INB4 Cannons, DTs or 2-gate proxy!

A good build would be to go for a 1gate Robotics. Get an Observer. More Gateways. Then Colossus. I recommend going to Protoss discussion too.
Edited by VIPER on 1/9/2013 2:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
Ive done the pylon near the back of their bases but down the ledge, then create robotics, get observer to give me vision, then i warp in gateway units at back of their base.
Reply Quote
i say...make probes constantly. spend all your money. use some keyboard hotkeys. if u can do those things and defend basic cheeses u'll get out of bronze/silver easily without it even mattering what strategy you do.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
Moving this over to the Protoss Discussion forum so that other Protoss players can weigh in.

GLHF!
Reply Quote
Use rushlots. It's easy and quick to upgrade them, and you will amass a large amount early in the game. Cheap as hell on minerals and people often are not expecting them. But make sure mid to late game you have them backed up with anti-air and a few observers.
Reply Quote
4 gate is really solid.
Reply Quote
Nice guide right at the top of this forum :P
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/1922568062
Reply Quote
01/09/2013 01:58 PMPosted by LeftBrain
I don't play as much as I would like but lately I have been winning much more. HOwever, I have been mysteriously sent to bronze 3v3 team league (my favorite match type) after a victory where I was top player. I think I am doing better but I am probably missing out on key moves that will help my game. I know I am not the best player but I really haven't been able to play that much. I just want to be successful in the games I do get to play. So any strategy, build orders, and other ideas on how to improve could help. Mostly just strategies and build order help because I don't want to post replays to improve my microing, thats just something that will come with time. Thank you.
Just browse the Protoss forum. There are already threads from people with the same question. Not trying to be rude, but I think you should do more research before making a thread on an existing subject.

Also, you'll want 1 build per matchup because each matchup plays differently.

PvP you may want to learn to 4 gate perfectly and basically teach yourself to execute a simple build with lots of micro and mechanics as well as quick decision-making that will help you in a basic fashion. After that, adopt a macro build around Blink, Robo or Stargate and just practice it to death. Along with the skills you picked up 4 gating, executing macro builds will get you to understand the PvP matchup better and what you can and cannot do.

PvT, just learn to 1 gate Expand into Colossus blindly for now. It is the most standard build and will enable you to start understanding Terran timings, drop timings, drop defense, multitasking against 2-3 drops/attacks at a time.

PvZ, there are a few builds you may want to choose from, but the MOST essential opening you want to master (and you will lose a lot early because of this) is to Forge Fast Expand. If you can FFE safely and get your 2 base economy going with a basic 8-9min pressure timng, you can then learn the following builds:
- CreatorPrime's no colossus Immortal/Blink/DT/Sentry build
- Sidewinder's 2 base Mothership Expand build
- BounD's DT Expand build

All found in this forum if you look for them.

Good luck.
Reply Quote
Moving this over to the Protoss Discussion forum so that other Protoss players can weigh in.

GLHF!

Oh man. Can't stop laughing. This was posted in both the general and protoss discussions and now they are side by side :D
Reply Quote
In 3v3 or 4v4 games and at your level.

DT drops.

Just 1 base. Tell your allies to build armies and that you will win the game.

You get your first gas before gate. I drop my first gas at 10 while my pylon is building. You can get away with this in team games because you have teammates defending you from early pressure or harass if it happens. Do not scout...do not tarry....your teammates will scout for you and protect you...your focus is on building your DT death squad.

You want fast double gas with 3 probes in each gas. 4 gates. Twilight and Dark council. Chrono out your warp gate twice. Rest of the chrono is on probes. When money allows drop your robo. Save one chrono when its getting near completion to chrono out your warp prism. Stop probe production at 24......you will begin probe production again once you expand and you do your first drop....have your nexus keyed so you can hit that key press e to build probes while you focus on your battle.

If you experiment with this you can literally have your warp prism arriving almost at the exact second the dark shrine finishes....Send the Warp Prism...unloaded.....The reason I say unloaded is by the time the warp prism reaches your attack spot you will have had the time to expand. This build gets you lots of minerals. I expand while my warp prism is heading for its destination.

By the time the warp prism arrives you have your nexus building, double extractors building and the money to warp in 4 dts.......drop your 4 dts then pull your warp prism and fly it to another spot at another enemy players base.....keeping that warp prism moving is the key so they dont spot it or shoot it down.

I played a 4v4 last night on ladder and my teammates were like GAWD dude how did you get DTS so fast.....later on it was "Wow thats a freakin lot of DTS"........it takes practice but perfecting any build is really the key to successful SC2 play at any level.

This will work well in lower leagues.....bronze/silver/gold.......higher up and its pretty iffy....only because in 4v4 or 3v3 someones bound to think about detection....hehe.

EDIT: There are games that this gets shut down really hard. Its okay. You have bought your teammates time. The other players have had to dally and work on shutting down your DT drops, meaning they are not focused on attacking your bases.....In addition they are forced to get detection, build, spores, missile turrents and cannons and save scans which all works out for you. I usually just transition into Chargelots, Archons from here to aid the coming battle.
Edited by ScRuNgY on 1/12/2013 5:28 AM PST
Reply Quote
Scrungy has gave you solid gold advice, i play mostly 4v4, if you have kind of ok teammates that can hold a rush without anyone touching you, you can get those DTS on the enemy base by min 6:20, the only drawback is you have nothing until then, and even then you have nothing in your first DT warp, your base is there to take it, so you depend on your teammates.

This works only better in lower leagues, is a very common tactic in 4v4, if you get scouted the others will know that you are going DTs by min 3, and in 4v4 that means you get rushed by minute 5, again, you depend 100% of your teammates, a better tactic is they rush with whatever they can and you go DT, offense is the best defense.

Now if you mean in general protoss strategy, for 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, pylons and probes, go watch some youtube tutorials and that will give you the idea.
Reply Quote
I just made masters 3s and 4s doing 3 or 5 stalker rush into blink observer or 2-gate robo expand.

Only real danger is a ling rush which you can hold off with probes and/or hope your teammates can do something.
Reply Quote
01/09/2013 02:03 PMPosted by VIPER
INB4 Cannons, DTs or 2-gate proxy!

Sorry, but DT Expand is not Cheese in PvP. The concept of DT Expand in PvP is to force the opponent to open Robotics. If the opponent opens Phoenix, he will suffer extreme economic damage because his Robo is delayed. If he 4Gates, punish that cheesy bastard by winning the game. If he opens... You get the picture.
Reply Quote
Sorry, but DT Expand is not Cheese in PvP. The concept of DT Expand in PvP is to force the opponent to open Robotics. If the opponent opens Phoenix, he will suffer extreme economic damage because his Robo is delayed. If he 4Gates, punish that cheesy bastard by winning the game. If he opens... You get the picture.
Indeed :)

I am currently using DT Expand to win PvP in HoTS, and I don't even need to use MS Core as defense. I still get it, but when I do this opening, I have the flexibility to do a midgame timing with Zealot/Archon, follow up DT tech with robo and prism if the guy 2 gate expands, and punish him utterly and get a 3rd MUCH faster than he can. And if he tries to all-in, he will lose his army WHILE losing his economy.

DT, now that the other guys is forced to get Obs or Stargate/Oracle, is EXTREMELY strong at controlling the other player's reactions, and it is VERY flexible, as long as you're scouting actively what the opponent does.

I LOVE DT Expands now - I have basically 2 favorite PvP builds - 1 gate Stargate Oracle/Phoenix into Expand or DT Expand.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]