Protoss help

I'm a protoss player. I got the game around Christmas and have been playing every day since. I've only won one 1v1 game. I don't understand why im losing so much. I use sratagies such as 4 gate.I do them pretty well but I always seem to lose. Any advice I how I could start winning.

I also play alot of 4v4. It seems every time I play I get stuck with bad team mates. Ive never won at 4v4. Any advice for 4v4.

Also could someone please tell me how to switch my in-game name?

thx
Reply Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3w61sIdFjs&list=PLPW1oxf-pY2z_TlIpqbP5QU_R940oevX9

watch all of those
Reply Quote
I'm a protoss player. I got the game around Christmas and have been playing every day since. I've only won one 1v1 game. I don't understand why im losing so much. I use sratagies such as 4 gate.I do them pretty well but I always seem to lose. Any advice I how I could start winning.

Post a replay of a game that you think you played pretty well in but still lost, and we'll be able to tell you what's wrong. I have a feeling that you aren't actually executing 'pretty well' and we'll find something for you to work on.

I have a feeling "build probes" is going to be the main thrust of whatever we tell you to do but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and wait for a replay.

You should also watch games and learn more strategies. 4 gate is a decent strategy, but it's an all-in, meaning that if it fails you more or less auto-lose. You'll get a better win rate if you start trying strategies that are more forgiving.

I also play alot of 4v4. It seems every time I play I get stuck with bad team mates. Ive never won at 4v4. Any advice for 4v4.

There is no meaningful advice for 4v4. It's possible to have a competitive game with 2 evenly matched premade teams that work together, but random 4v4 is a complete crapshoot.

However, "I always seem to get stuck with bad teammates" from someone that's only won one 1v1 in their lifetime is a little troubling. I think you should probably worry about fixing your game before worrying about whether or not your teammates are any good.
Reply Quote
Ill admit im not good but my team mates in 4v4 are not even competent. They barely know how to build units.
Reply Quote
This is one of my replays. If you want more just ask.
Reply Quote
http://drop.sc/291192
Reply Quote
I watched your replay, so here's some advice.

First, I want to say you aren't terrible. You have a lot of improvement to make, but you also have some things that you are doing right. I've seen a lot worse.

I'll break this guide down into 3 categories: things you did right, major things you did wrong, minor things you did wrong.

Things you did right

1. Good pylon spread in your base. You kept an eye on all corners of your base so as to prevent schenanigans from you opponent. Keep doing this, it'll help you once you get to silver/gold/plat.

2. Decent army composition. It wasn't perfect, but zealots, stalkers, and colossi are a decent mix. More on this later.

3. You didn't get supply blocked. Even though it was mostly because you built a bunch of pylons at once, not getting supply blocked helps a LOT.

4. Good probe production at first. You were constantly building probes up until you had saturated you base. That was good, stopping was bad.

Major things you did wrong

1. Good probe production, but ONLY at first. After you saturated your first base, you stopped building probes constantly. Until you have 80-90 probes you should NEVER stop building them, at least in bronze league. Army units are the ones that get all the attention, but probes win you the game!

2. You didn't scout. This is probably the biggest issue in your entire game. The first time you even saw your opponent wasn't until about 20 1/2 minutes in. At 13:00, you had 22 stalkers and 6 zealots. Your opponent had 6 stalkers and 4 void rays. If you had attacked, you would have absolutely CRUSHED him. As in, you would have maybe lost 1 stalker. It wouldn't have even been close, even if you had to fight his photon cannons too. Had you been scouting, you would have seen that his army was much smaller than yours and you could have attacked.

3. You took way too long to expand. Typically, you want an expansion around 8:00-10:00 at the LATEST. I often take an expansion around 6:00 against another protoss player, and that's the latest for me. Against terran I take it around 4:45, and against zerg I take it around 3:45. The point is, you expanded way too late. Expanding late is fine (but not that late), but you should be attacking if you aren't expanding. If you want to expand around 8:00-10:00, you should combine it with an attack since you'll have a bigger army due to the late expansion.

4. You weren't spending your resources efficiently. I often saw you with 2000+ minerals in the bank, which does you no good at all. You should be spending your minerals constantly. If you can't spend them fast enough, make more gateways/robos/stargates. This goes hand in hand with expanding and making probes. Collecting resources efficiently does you no good if you don't spend them!

Minor things you did wrong

1. You had a very rough start to the game. You didn't begin making your first probe until about 30 seconds in. It's really important to get that probe started ASAP, and also to get your guys mining. It seems minor, but it slows you down more than you would think.

2. When you took your expansion, you had a bunch of guys at your main, and none at your expansion. It's more efficient to transfer half your guys to the expansion when it finishes, then keep building probes from both nexuses.

3. Army composition. Like I said earlier, it was decent, but it could have been better. I would have liked to see more zealots, more colossi, and fewer stalkers. Now, you might say "Stalkers were my only anti air, and he went air and I lost!!!", but that's not the real issue. The real issue is that you let him mass air without knowing about it. Had you been scouting, he would have never gotten there in the first place. If you opponent does somehow mass void rays, it can be difficult to deal with, but archons do nicely against it.

4. Map control. You didn't take the xel'naga tower, which could have helped. You also weren't keeping an eye on the expansions to know when he expanded.

5. At one point I saw you build an assimilator, then have three probes waiting next to it the entire time it built so they were ready when it finished. Don't do that.

6. Upgrades. If this had been against a terran or zerg player, I probably would have put this in the major issues section. Even so, upgrades are really important, especially to a large army. In a game that has gone on for half an hour, you really should have 3/3/3 upgrades by the end. At the end, you didn't have a single upgrade, and you even built a forge and everything. You opponent had 2/2/2 upgrades, and he steamrolled you.

Like I said before, you aren't terrible, and the fact you want to improve helps a lot. I know this is a lot to think about, so just focus on scouting and reacting to what you see properly, and spending resources for now, while keeping the other issues in mind. Good luck!
Reply Quote
http://drop.sc/291974
http://drop.sc/291973

Here are my two most recent game if your interested.
Reply Quote
Hints or tips, while you continue to learn the controls and how the game kinda flows...

Building placements, wall offs etc for different maps and matchups. Don't be afraid to play 1v1 vs an easy computer to practice wall offs. You do not need more than 1 cannon on most maps to protect a wall off. In fact, a popular build vs Zerg is the Forge Fast Expand. Building placements is important, and how much space you leave to allow units in and out, and how many units it takes to block that hole you left as a door.

Worker production was pretty good for a bronze leaguer, in both cases better than your opponent.

Scout early, scout often. If you don't KNOW what your opponent is doing, you need to send out a worker or something to see what's up. Anaylse what you see - lots of mineral heavy units but no gas units? means gas units are coming. process of elimination. That would be my biggest critique. As a baisc rule of thumb, your 9 pylon probe heads out for scouting to see if you are getting cheesed, and where your opponent is. Scout for as long as you possibly can to get as much information as you can. Don't let your Macro slip while you micro - use the shift to set rally points to have your probe run around while you do other things.

Overstaturation - you over saturate your minerals badly in both games, meaning you could be thinking about expanding earlier and being that much further ahead.

Just work on the basics:
1) Make probes - all the time till you get to platinum and learn how to cut probe production for a specific purpose.

2) Dont get supply blocked - think ahead. What unit is building, how much supply you need after that? Late game you are putting down pylons 3 at a time.

3) Spend your money - Watch it. if you have a lot of one thing, but not enough of another, you need to either get more of what you need, or switch tech to use what you have a lot of.
Edited by Grimmy on 1/7/2013 10:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
Just work on the basics:
1) Make probes - all the time till you get to platinum and learn how to cut probe production for a specific purpose.

2) Dont get supply blocked - think ahead. What unit is building, how much supply you need after that? Late game you are putting down pylons 3 at a time.

3) Spend your money - Watch it. if you have a lot of one thing, but not enough of another, you need to either get more of what you need, or switch tech to use what you have a lot of.

#1 nailed it on the head. For an extension on that, counting the number of Probes you have is more simple than it sounds. Box all Probes mining Minerals. If there are two full rows of Probes on the selection panel with a few extra, you no longer need to build Probes for that base. However, sometimes, you need to watch for a Mineral patch with only one Probe mining it. Select a Probe on a Mineral Patch with 3 Probes and send it to Mine from the Patch with only 1 Probe.

For number 2, try to feel a rhythm for building Pylons. Force yourself to build a Pylon every 15-20 seconds and then start to build more Pylons at once as the game progresses. Once you build Pylons like it's second nature, you will never get supply blocked again.

Number 3: When you are looking at your base, check for any idle buildings, such as Forges, Robotics Facilities, Stargates, and other Tech buildings. Make sure they are always performing a task unless it's a Warp Gate purposely left idle or a Cyber Core with no useful researches. If they are always running, your army will be upgraded and rendered stronger much, much faster.
Reply Quote
just thought i'd add that IMO 3gate Robo is a much more versatile build than 4 gate for PvP /PVT. you will also need to leran FFE for PvZ

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/3_Gate_Robo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5Vmu8tBwfI

9/10 - Pylon (1)
13/18 - Gateway (1)
15/18 - Assimilator
16/18 - Pylon (2)
18/26 - Cybernetics Core
19/26 - Zealot
22/26 - Pylon (3)
23/26 - Stalker
@100% Cybernetics Core - Warpgate Research
25/34 - Assimilator (2)
26/34 - Gateway (2)
27/34 - Sentry
30/34 - Pylon (4)
30/34 - Gateway (3)
31/34 - Robotics Facility

It will take you to ~ 30 supply. at this point want to either Expand > Forge > Colossus tech OR Attack OR Defend (based on scouting).

IMO the most critical part of this build is the sentry and first immortal get them both out asap. The sentry FF to block ramp will save/win you many games of very early agression. Immortal is for early stalker and marauder aggression
Edited by Wired on 1/8/2013 3:06 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]