StarCraft® II

Is it possible to make a rl marine power suit

With c-14 guass rifle and stim and thors
Reply Quote
lets see...

at the current point in time no to the marine suits, due to lack of small powerful motors, powersources, and multi hingeing joints for shoulders, back, and hips that are simply to hard to make

yes to stims, just take a mixture of synthetic adrenalin, morphine, cafine, and other super stimulints and pain killers

and thor it would be hard but if you were ambitious but it would be doable
Reply Quote
There are companies working on exo-skeleton suits that would prabably be the inside of the marines suit. All the mechanical parts, like being able to run faster/longer, lifting heavier things, etc.

Though, creating the outer shell and power source would probably be the main roadblock.
Reply Quote
They've been working on something similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2W23ysgWKI
Reply Quote
and thor it would be hard but if you were ambitious but it would be doable

Making a huge walking machine is tough, making a huge walking machine that can withstand bullets, mud, dust AND walk fast enough to not be laughed at in a battle without it tipping over, EXTREMELY difficult.
Edited by Engineer on 4/11/2013 12:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Yes to the Thor, but it wouldn't be a combat walker. It would be a mammoth tank from Red Alert or something.

It would also be hugely inefficient, only good in flat terrain, and you'd be better off just using bombers.
Edited by Protagonist on 5/24/2013 12:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Marine suit: unless you invent a power source that small and stable enough to power the who mechanic suit + small motors that extremely powerful to drive each and individual compartment of the suit, or else, it's still far in the future.
Thor: Doable, if you have couple of billions dollar to throw out, i'm sure someone will build it for you. Problem with machine that we face right now are the size of each compartment. Thor are doable because it big, so you just need to use bigger and tougher machine part to run it. Realistically, Thor can only drive by 2 or more pilot. 1 person is way too much. Power source for Thor can be range from Extreme powerful lithium battery (one of the high-tech battery, trust me on this, my friend work for Johnson Control and they are researching it), up to lets say: small nuclear power, like the one they put in USS Enterprise back in the day (I'm talking about the aircraft carrier, not the spaceship, we dont have dilithium engine, nor dilithium crystal yet).
Oh ya.. i forgot, Gauss riffle is realistically possible, we just need to minimize the size down from a turret size that mount on the destroyer to the rifle size. Stimpack are just chemical sustain. Pretty sure that's the easiest thing to obtain

In conclusion, they are both doable if you have money and time.
Edited by JRaynor on 10/28/2013 10:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Marine suit: unless you invent a power source that small and stable enough to power the who mechanic suit + small motors that extremely powerful to drive each and individual compartment of the suit, or else, it's still far in the future.
Thor: Doable, if you have couple of billions dollar to throw out, i'm sure someone will build it for you. Problem with machine that we face right now are the size of each compartment. Thor are doable because it big, so you just need to use bigger and tougher machine part to run it. Realistically, Thor can only drive by 2 or more pilot. 1 person is way too much. Power source for Thor can be range from Extreme powerful lithium battery (one of the high-tech battery, trust me on this, my friend work for Johnson Control and they are researching it), up to lets say: small nuclear power, like the one they put in USS Enterprise back in the day (I'm talking about the aircraft carrier, not the spaceship, we dont have dilithium engine, nor dilithium crystal yet).
Oh ya.. i forgot, Gauss riffle is realistically possible, we just need to minimize the size down from a turret size that mount on the destroyer to the rifle size. Stimpack are just chemical sustain. Pretty sure that's the easiest thing to obtain

In conclusion, they are both doable if you have money and time.

On the contrary i move to disagree that the gauss rifle is doable in our current technology. The destroyer size railguns "which work on a different principle than the gauss rifles do anyway" are prototypes that achieve hypervelocity at never before seen speeds. Theres a catch of course. Energy sources cannot keep up with it. And the recoil would outright hurt people if they used a c14 in real life. Plus, no way in hell do we have a portable energy source that can power a 30 round per second 1000 mag behemoth of a gun that utilizes gas propellants and electrical coils to propel the bullet. The marine suit suffers the same fate.

And you are all ignoring the fact that the steel used for these items are exponentially stronger than normal steel. If we were to make an EXACT replica of these items with normal steel they would be way too fragile to do anything. You would need graphene strength for such a task. The gun would get damaged from firing and the thor which we can nowhere near ever make soon will face joint problems as the steel faces horrendous stress from the movement and weight of the vehicle mech.

Conclusion: theres a reason they chose starcraft to take place in the 26th century and not a year or two from now.
Reply Quote
11/05/2013 06:13 PMPosted by ghost
On the contrary i move to disagree that the gauss rifle is doable in our current technology.

Then you're just wrong. Hobbyists have been making low-power gauss rifles for decades.

The destroyer size railguns "which work on a different principle than the gauss rifles do anyway"

It depends what you mean by 'different principles.'

Both operate based upon electromagnetic acceleration of rounds. They have slightly different mechanisms for achieving this - gauss rifles use staged electromagnets which flip polarity at rigorously controlled intervals to accelerate their cargo, while railguns use much less complex charged rails with a conductive bar across them.

Plus, no way in hell do we have a portable energy source that can power a 30 round per second 1000 mag behemoth of a gun that utilizes gas propellants and electrical coils to propel the bullet. The marine suit suffers the same fate.

This is just outright false. An exosuit is currently in development for the military, and has been field tested successfully many times. It's also being developed for strength assist for firefighters and emergency services.
Reply Quote
11/10/2013 07:57 PMPosted by Hylozoist
On the contrary i move to disagree that the gauss rifle is doable in our current technology.

Then you're just wrong. Hobbyists have been making low-power gauss rifles for decades.

The destroyer size railguns "which work on a different principle than the gauss rifles do anyway"

It depends what you mean by 'different principles.'

Both operate based upon electromagnetic acceleration of rounds. They have slightly different mechanisms for achieving this - gauss rifles use staged electromagnets which flip polarity at rigorously controlled intervals to accelerate their cargo, while railguns use much less complex charged rails with a conductive bar across them.

Plus, no way in hell do we have a portable energy source that can power a 30 round per second 1000 mag behemoth of a gun that utilizes gas propellants and electrical coils to propel the bullet. The marine suit suffers the same fate.

This is just outright false. An exosuit is currently in development for the military, and has been field tested successfully many times. It's also being developed for strength assist for firefighters and emergency services.

If you can show me an example of a hobbyist using a handheld assault rifle that fires bullets using gas propellants and conductive coils at hypervelocity speeds while also being able to maintain a 30 RPS fire speed I will concede my point :)

[/quote]This is just outright false. An exosuit is currently in development for the military, and has been field tested successfully many times. It's also being developed for strength assist for firefighters and emergency services.[/quote]

Nothing in there did you say anything about energy, all that was stated was: The military is workig on a suit that is not finalized. And absolutely nothing in your counterexample showed anything to do with energy. Not to mention exoskeleton =/= Reactor powered power suit.

And like I said before, anything we create today cannot live up to starcraft standards and can break down because we do not have "Neo-steel". Our strongest steel today already sets the limit bars hilariously low.

Now its my turn to say that your statements are just outright false as if i had no respect for you.
Reply Quote
11/26/2013 02:02 PMPosted by ghost
Now its my turn to say that your statements are just outright false as if i had no respect for you.

Welcome to the forums!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]