StarCraft® II

I would rather have lurkers.

I just hate the swarm host. I want straight up damage, not this free unit crap. Blizzard, why you gotta do this to me?
Reply Quote
I'm not convinced that the swarm host is bad, but it sure as hell isn't fun or interesting to use.
Reply Quote
I believe the host is a bit expensive to push out the times when you most want them....

PS: Lurkers were defensive units, they couldn't pressure an opponent, or be used with great effect offensively....Swarm Hosts are different in that they can be used to attack.
Edited by Quirriff on 1/10/2013 4:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
Rekatan who streams uses swarm host alot, and he's good with it too. They seem like a very stressful unit to be against if used correctly.
Edited by LexLuthor on 1/10/2013 7:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/10/2013 04:43 AMPosted by Quirriff
PS: Lurkers were defensive units, they couldn't pressure an opponent, or be used with great effect offensively....Swarm Hosts are different in that they can be used to attack.

Lurkers were great for the offense.
One option was to drop Lurkers in their main or on their mineral line.
Another option is to make Lurkers the first thing out of your Nydus to make sure it doesn't get killed so other units can go through.
Yes, it is great for defense but you bring your Lurkers with you so they support your troops when they engage the enemy. When they have to reinforce, you move your Lurkers up so you control more land and make gains that they can't recapture right away.
Reply Quote
Me 2 +1
Reply Quote
I actually think it's one of the more interesting zerg units there are.
Reply Quote
You'll eat your vegetables and you'll like them. >: |

I think the Swarm Host is interesting, but probably needs a few small tweaks.
Reply Quote
I also think that the Swarm Host just needs a few tweaks, and it will be perfect.

I would personally like a little more health, a little less DPS, and a slightly faster spawn rate, I think this would enable it to reward micro more (as in unburrowing and reburrowing faster, since the locusts come out quicker).

This game played by Reketan makes Swarm Hosts look awesome, truly able to contain and punish a turtling Protoss player, do you know how long I have waited to be able to actually punish a Protoss player that wants to turtle to a deathball?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hzI4yrJUw-E#t=660s

Look at that beauty, not only does it require high apm to use effectively, it is pulling the Protoss ball in every which direction, and taking losses everytime, small losses, but losses.

I for one cannot wait to be able to actually dictate the pace offensively in a ZvP, so no, I would rather NOT have Lurkers.
Reply Quote
it would be nice to have the lurkers attack for choke point control at siege range. Blizz really should notice the demand for the lurker and i dont see the issue on putting htem in. Hell Terrans got the firebat back
Reply Quote
01/10/2013 09:54 PMPosted by Migrax

Lurkers were great for the offense.
One option was to drop Lurkers in their main or on their mineral line.
Another option is to make Lurkers the first thing out of your Nydus to make sure it doesn't get killed so other units can go through.
Yes, it is great for defense but you bring your Lurkers with you so they support your troops when they engage the enemy. When they have to reinforce, you move your Lurkers up so you control more land and make gains that they can't recapture right away.

I would treat Lurkers the way Terrans are using Widow Mines right now, as something to retreat back into when the battle started going the wrong way.
Reply Quote
01/17/2013 07:31 AMPosted by BrockLanders
I would treat Lurkers the way Terrans are using Widow Mines right now, as something to retreat back into when the battle started going the wrong way.

You could do that. You could also incorporate them into your front line for extra firepower. Or you could put them at your choke to prevent counter attacks. You could also put them in your mineral line to prevent drops.
Reply Quote
stab feet!
Reply Quote
01/17/2013 07:30 AMPosted by Nightwolf
it would be nice to have the lurkers attack for choke point control at siege range. Blizz really should notice the demand for the lurker and i dont see the issue on putting htem in. Hell Terrans got the firebat back
They got lurkers too.
Reply Quote
I also think that the Swarm Host just needs a few tweaks, and it will be perfect.

I would personally like a little more health, a little less DPS, and a slightly faster spawn rate, I think this would enable it to reward micro more (as in unburrowing and reburrowing faster, since the locusts come out quicker).

This game played by Reketan makes Swarm Hosts look awesome, truly able to contain and punish a turtling Protoss player, do you know how long I have waited to be able to actually punish a Protoss player that wants to turtle to a deathball?

Look at that beauty, not only does it require high apm to use effectively, it is pulling the Protoss ball in every which direction, and taking losses everytime, small losses, but losses.

I for one cannot wait to be able to actually dictate the pace offensively in a ZvP, so no, I would rather NOT have Lurkers.

Although I like his trick of keeping Overlords on follow and 'Poop Creep', that game is quite a far cry from a typical ZvP, and the Protoss wasn't quite following a, shall we say, 'strong' game plan. The Protoss wasn't upgrading early, went for a 6-Gate other than either Stargate or Robo after FE, and still attempted aggression upon scouting a lack of a third. Rek also mentions that the guy always does the same build on that map.
Reply Quote
Swarm hosts are awesome. So much potential for harass. First ZvZ I played in HotS was on some weird map where you could drop rocks to block your nat, so I did that and went straight for swarm host drops on his mineral lines :D

Anyone QQing about them is just bad or too unimaginative to make good use of them.
Reply Quote

Although I like his trick of keeping Overlords on follow and 'Poop Creep', that game is quite a far cry from a typical ZvP, and the Protoss wasn't quite following a, shall we say, 'strong' game plan. The Protoss wasn't upgrading early, went for a 6-Gate other than either Stargate or Robo after FE, and still attempted aggression upon scouting a lack of a third. Rek also mentions that the guy always does the same build on that map.

I watched the video and its great use of the SH, without a doubt, and now I'm starting to get a better idea on what unit comps I plan on using with them. 2 questions though to anyone who'd like a crack at them:

1st) For example, in the video with rek, what if the protoss had popped out a few sentries and used great Force Fields? Could that really hinder the efficiency of the locust?

2nd) I feel the SH is really good against toss but how are they against T/Z? I heard vs mech they are still great but other strats don't sound too good and haven't seen much ZvZ HotS to make that judgement.
Reply Quote
01/17/2013 10:24 PMPosted by Luckylou
1st) For example, in the video with rek, what if the protoss had popped out a few sentries and used great Force Fields? Could that really hinder the efficiency of the locust?

I think the main use for Sentries in the course of his game would have been to zone out Locusts in order to tear down Rek's main army, so that there was no backup for just walking on top of the Swarm Hosts themselves.

01/17/2013 10:24 PMPosted by Luckylou
2nd) I feel the SH is really good against toss but how are they against T/Z? I heard vs mech they are still great but other strats don't sound too good and haven't seen much ZvZ HotS to make that judgement.

I can't say much ZvT, but they seem relatively strong in ZvZ as long as you can take out Overseers and prevent units from walking on top of them, much like other match-ups. Due to the Mutalisk and Hydralisk being more viable in ZvZ, it seems an easier task, and therefore they seem a bit stronger.
Reply Quote
Totally agree man. +1

Lurker > Swarm Host
Reply Quote
Swarm Host all the way!! SO MUCH more interesting.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]