[Beta] Suggestion to stop Widow Mine rush PvT

It seems a lot of people posting on the beta forums are talking about this, and although I am in the beta (I preordered), apparently my account is not flagged to post in that forum.

Basically, the concern now is that Widows can be out before the 5 minute mark, whereas Protoss cannot have an obs before 6:42 at the earliest--leaving a potential window for 2 WM weapon cycles before the Protoss can have detection.

I am not a particularly skillful player, but I don't understand why the Protoss cannot simply either wall in, or FF the ramp. A tight wall-in (one that leaves no holes at all) will completely prevent the Widows from entering your base without any need for defenses (although it will require you to tear down a pylon later). A nearly tight wall in (leaving a tiny corner blocked by a zealot) can also buy you enough time, although it does mean donating the zealot and microing a stalker and a probe to keep the corridor closed (probably donating the probe as well). Lastly, FF on the ramp requires you to be good at FF placing and timing, and requires you to go sentry first, and possibly delays your obs a little. However you are now allowed to go sentry first vs. terran because a sentry can now safely push a reaper out of your base, and this will leave you with sentries, an obs, and a robo--allowing you to go zealot/sentry/immo which is a perfectly good unit composition against T. It also doesn't require you to donate a pylon.
Reply Quote
Although, now that I think about it, even if you aren't particularly good at FF placement and timing, you can still do a partial wall in (leaving only a pylon width gap) and then FF that gap (a much easier placement than blocking a whole ramp with a single FF).
Reply Quote
01/10/2013 09:54 AMPosted by Cloudmoon
Basically, the concern now is that Widows can be out before the 5 minute mark, whereas Protoss cannot have an obs before 6:42 at the earliest--leaving a potential window for 2 WM weapon cycles before the Protoss can have detection.
You should open Oracle in PvT. It's pretty sweet, and you get Envision on the Oracle now - kinda overdue if you ask me. 1 Gate units + Oracle + MS Core = dead Widow Mine rush. There is MAYBE a 10-15 second period where there are mines in your bases, and you have no detection yet, but that's manageable.

The most important thing to do is to FF your ramp if you see mines, and then use your oracle's Envision to push down the ramp with MS Core, Gate units and Oracle and Pulsar Beam activated. Should work fine :)
Reply Quote
I've had success in PvT with rushing out a couple of stalkers. A lot of people have been using reaper openings, and my stalker has been able to get out early enough that the first reaper maaaaaybe killed one probe before it died. Now that they don't require tech lab it might be a different story... Anyways, a few stalkers can actually take down a widow mine most of the time. If they decide to burrow, attack while you still have vision, then just back up until you get detection. If he ever tries to move out, your stalkers will be able to finish it off.
Reply Quote
How would you stop a 4 rax mass marines and some widow mines, completely OVER POWERD imo. Terran is too cheap right now with widow mines but if someone knows of a way to counter early pushes with a ton of marines and widow mines I am all ears.
Reply Quote
Necro alert.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]