StarCraft® II

does guardian shield stack?

does 2 or 3 guardian shields do anything different then if you just use 1?
Reply Quote
No. Guardian shield is the same whether there is 1 or 50
Reply Quote
but they will cover a greater area, and if they overlap one can take the place if the sentry dies.
Reply Quote
so basically, use the minimum required to cover your army (usually 2) and activate another one if the sentry using it dies.
Reply Quote
How much does guardian shield actually help during a large engagement?
Reply Quote
01/11/2013 03:59 PMPosted by Blackwing

Depends on what you're facing.

The damage reduction (aka extra armor) is most effective against units that do less damage per shot but attack faster (like Marines and Zerglings).

Against, say, a Tempest from the HotS Beta...no.
Reply Quote
01/11/2013 05:12 PMPosted by blitz

The damage reduction (aka extra armor) is most effective against units that do less damage per shot but attack faster (like Marines and Zerglings).

I mean against a typical Terran army because zerglings don't fire projectiles I would be using force fields instead. How much would a large engament be swayed by guarding shields?
Reply Quote
01/11/2013 05:47 PMPosted by Blackwing

I mean against a typical Terran army because zerglings don't fire projectiles I would be using force fields instead. How much would a large engament be swayed by guarding shields?

Uhh...

I'd say you should ask higher-level players about this, but I'll give it a shot. :P

In arly engagements against T, Guardian Shield might be useful at softening Marine damage. However, later in the game, once Ghosts come out, EMP will just make your Sentry energy go poof, and you're better off using High Templar.

Well, that is, assuming your opponent is building Ghosts. But even then, I'm not sure how effective the Shield would be against MMM.
Reply Quote
I don't get much or see much ghost in games >-< but by the late game I usually have one or two for guardian shield and just wanted to know wether it truly made much of a diffrence.
Reply Quote
Does it reduce damage? Yes. It's worth it. I always carry a couple with me late game. It's a free damage reduction ability for 4 supply and 100/200 resources. By the time late game comes around there's no reason to not do it IMO.
Reply Quote
01/11/2013 09:22 PMPosted by Valsoriel
Does it reduce damage? Yes. It's worth it. I always carry a couple with me late game. It's a free damage reduction ability for 4 supply and 100/200 resources. By the time late game comes around there's no reason to not do it IMO.

I know I just want to know who much it actually affects an outcome.
Reply Quote
Alright, time for a full answer.

No, guardian shields do not 'stack' on each other. Overlapping guardian shields only increase the amount of area covered, not the damage received.

No, guardian shield does NOT protect against melee. It is still effectively +2 armor against any ranged attacks, but you are going to look a little silly popping it against zerglings.

Yes, guardian shield's "+2 armor" effect does apply to the shields of your units as well as their normal health bar. It also affects the units of other teammates in team games.

Miscellaneous topics...

Guardian shield IS useful in TvP even with ghosts out, since the guardian shield can be thrown out before the EMP hits, and it will stay active even after being hit by EMP (the only way to stop an active guardian shield is to kill the sentry).

+2 armor, especially since it applies to the whole health bar, is always useful and can often make or break an outcome. Between an upgrade advantage and guardian shield, you can cut the damage of a marine ball in half. Having the extra 2 armor can sway battles, provided the opponent is using lots of multi-hit or quick firing units (marines, vikings, mutas, other sentries, voids, and phoenixes are the most affected). In all other cases, it's just a decent boost to have (it's not going to do much against roaches, but if it lets your zealots take an extra hit, it can be worth it).
Edited by Insignia on 1/11/2013 10:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
Definitely worth it vs large numbers of marines.
Reply Quote
Uh yes. guardian shield is definitely worth it. especially vs t. you'd be surprised how well 1 zealot and 2 sentries can do vs like 3 marines and a 2 marauders with guardian shield.

plus 2 armor effectively cuts marines damage by 1/3. meaning they do inly 3 damage to a zealot on its hp. that means after shields are gone it will take a marine 34 shots to kill a zealot with guardian shield. as opposed to 20 w/o guardian shield.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]