Need New Mouse + Keyboard

Hey everyone!

Long story short, I have a bit of money left over (as a broke University student) because my tuition was a few hundred dollars less than what I was originally told for this semester. So as an avid gamer, it's time to replace some stuff of course! I have a pretty good gaming computer all around, except for the mouse and keyboard. I'm using a pretty old non-heard-of Logitech keyboard, and an extremely worn out Steel Series Kana mouse.

Any recommendations for a good gaming keyboard + mouse? I'm leaning more towards Steel Series products, but am considering some Razer stuff as well. I'd prefer neither be wireless, and I don't play MMO's (so we can avoid the 15 button mice). :P

Any input is more than welcome!

<3
Reply Quote
g9x + filco
Reply Quote
You'll not only want a good mouse, but a good mousepad too. I personally use a Logitech G9X with the Razer Goliathus pad and it works great for Starcraft 2 (and all gaming for that matter).

If you're leaning towards a specific brand then definitely get what you want. :) You'll be happier than if you pay less for something "okay".

Newegg is one of the best places you can shop for good deals on hardware, definitely check them out:

SteelSeries:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006690%2050001674&IsNodeId=1&Description=gaming%20keyboard%20mouse&name=SteelSeries&Order=BESTMATCH

Razer:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006690%2050002202&IsNodeId=1&Description=gaming%20keyboard%20mouse&name=RAZER&Order=BESTMATCH
Reply Quote
I like a regular, microsoft, usb, opical mouse, with the scrolling wheel on a clean surface. I also like your generic usb keyboard. Most retail stores that sell computer stuff will have what you need.

Sure there is much fancier and higher priced options out there but...

Unless you are consistently in the 200apm range over the entire game I have a hard time seeing the vaule in more expensive products. I say save that money since ur a poor college student and put it toward a more critical computer component or beer/pizza money :)
Reply Quote
I was thinking about getting a new wireless mouse, since the one I use with my laptop is smaller than a standard mouse. I occasionally play on my laptop when I'm away from home on a trip, but I mainly play on my home desktop. Is there any reason I should avoid using a wireless mouse for SC2?
Reply Quote
I personally use a Logitech G110 keyboard, with a Logitech G400 mouse. Each of them were about $40 each, when I bought them at least. You can probably get better, but I'm happy with what I've got.

Edit: Also considering wired vs wireless, I use a wired mouse for two reasons:

1) Batteries. I hate having to deal with them, even though it's easier with those charging cables that go from your computer to your mouse for some of the more expensive mice.

2) I don't have any trouble with the wire from my current mouse. It can be annoying occasionally, but the other 99.99 percent of the time, it's fine.
Edited by Fencar on 1/9/2013 10:24 AM PST
Reply Quote
Community Manager
Moving this over to the Games, Gaming, and Hardware forum for more input.

Good luck on the peripherals hunt!
Reply Quote
2) I don't have any trouble with the wire from my current mouse. It can be annoying occasionally, but the other 99.99 percent of the time, it's fine.

Kinda this. Plus, there's no worse feeling than when a wireless mouse stops responding in the middle of a micro battle.
Reply Quote
I like razer products.

Keyboard:
Razer Blackwidow. I use the ultimate stealth edition, which isn't particularly stealthy, but it's a superb keyboard. I would highly recommend it.

Mouse:
I love my deathadder.
Reply Quote
I love my Das Professional Model S, but if you don't want a loud mechanical keyboard the Das Ultimate is also really good.

For a mouse I use the 2013 Deathadder. It's fast, fits my hand really well, looks pretty nice, and isn't too big or too small. Main issue is that it's slightly heavy, but it's not even that heavy. It's also pretty well made.

For a mousepad, get the Teamliquid Goliathus, no explanation needed ;)
Reply Quote
I like razer products.

Keyboard:
Razer Blackwidow. I use the ultimate stealth edition, which isn't particularly stealthy, but it's a superb keyboard. I would highly recommend it.

Mouse:
I love my deathadder.

Razer keyboards are terrible.
Reply Quote
01/10/2013 04:23 AMPosted by MtlGuitarist
I love my Das Professional Model S, but if you don't want a loud mechanical keyboard the Das Ultimate is also really good.

The Das keyboards are some of the best mechanical keyboards out there. The Das Professional and the Das Ultimate don't have a sound difference though. Its the key switches. Only difference between Ultimate and Professional is the inscriptions.

Loud Keyboard = Blue Switch
Quieter Keyboard = Brown Switch (Quieter! Meaning still pretty loud.)
Reply Quote

The Das keyboards are some of the best mechanical keyboards out there. The Das Professional and the Das Ultimate don't have a sound difference though. Its the key switches. Only difference between Ultimate and Professional is the inscriptions.

Loud Keyboard = Blue Switch
Quieter Keyboard = Brown Switch (Quieter! Meaning still pretty loud.)

Oh I forgot, there is actually a Das Model with brown switches. The Ultimate doesn't have the brown switches, it's just the same without the key inscriptions. My bad!

http://www.daskeyboard.com/model-s-professional-soft/

Here's the one with the brown switches.
Edited by MtlGuitarist on 1/11/2013 5:10 AM PST
Reply Quote
don't get das. unless you can find the older models, the newer models are not made by as reputable company. its from a new company that many are not sure of.
Reply Quote
Try these:
I use them, and they are AWESOME.
Board : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823753002
Mouse : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826618024
Reply Quote
^Not even mechanical bro...
Looks like you're all for looks rather than feel and quality
Reply Quote
Actually . . .
They feel great and are high quality.
Plus, you cant touch an 18 button mouse.
The board . . . may not be mech, but it is still amazing.
Reply Quote
Its way overpriced for a cheap rubber dome keyboard.
Have you tried any mechs?
Reply Quote
I use a full Steelseries set and I absolutely love it.

6vg2 mechanical keyboard, Kana mouse, and Siberia v2 gaming headset. I cannot recommend the brand highly enough. Ive had nothing but positive experiences dealing with customer service and the fact they are one of the chief sponsors of e-sports doesn't hurt either.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]