How to hold a 2 rax all in as protoss?

im a plat protoss and i just lost to a gold terran... i scouted 2 rax and went for a 3 gate robo, confident i could hold early pressure. at about the 3 minute mark, i see all of his scv's out front. he pushes in with all the scvs and about 10 rines. my warpgate was not finished so i had no chance but to GG. -- I need to know how to hold this particular all in.
Reply Quote
Replay would help. 2rax is a pressure with an expand, not an all-in.

You can hold 2-rax off a 1-gate expand.

You can hold a 3-rax all-in off a 1-gate expand too with good micro and some pulled probes.
Reply Quote
Yeah i'm also really struggling against Terran (but in gold not plat) . I've been watching a lot of tutorials today and as wraithcube says, I though you generally need to pull probes if you see he has also pulled scvs? If it looks too strong?

mental one has some decent PvT strats. Like the 5gate expand (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCU6-vF62yo)
Reply Quote
First off, 3 minutes is way too early to have 10 Marines. So I'm going to assume on a normal timescale that they just make 10 Marines and pushed with all of their SCVs, which in Platinum league is probably more like 5:30 to 6:00.

By that time, you should have noticed that he had no gas and no expansion, which kind of eliminates all of his options other than adding barracks and most likely all-inning.

You need to have a couple Stalkers out on the map to kite SCVs and Marines across the map, dealing damage the whole way. If it's too early for the Stalkers to be out on the map (like if they push with 4 Marines and the barracks are proxied), then you need to mineral-walk your probes at a good time to get a lot of damage on the Marines and just micro the rest of your units properly so they don't take damage while slowly picking away at the Marines. If he pulled all of his SCVs, you can afford to lose probes as long as you keep units alive and prevent bunkers from being completed.

Most importantly, Robo makes no sense against a Terran that is pulling SCVs because Immortals will have basically no utility. You'd be much better off spending that extra gas on a sentry and trying to split the SCVs up from the Marines as they come up the ramp.
Reply Quote
Scout all in, ff ramp into units + micro = win.

Should be able to hold with zealot/stalker/sentry
Reply Quote
Scout he's doing something crazy... have both your gases... make sentries... FF ramp while building up lots of workers and not getting supply blocked.

WIN
Reply Quote
01/09/2013 07:58 PMPosted by Sidewinder
First off, 3 minutes is way too early to have 10 Marines. So I'm going to assume on a normal timescale that they just make 10 Marines and pushed with all of their SCVs, which in Platinum league is probably more like 5:30 to 6:00.

The first marine pops at 3:09 with rax first builds. 3 min is too early to have any marines.

Scout all in, ff ramp into units + micro = win.

Should be able to hold with zealot/stalker/sentry

You could hold this with a few (like 4-6) sentries FFing the ramp and a stalker or two just shooting from the high ground.
Reply Quote
ok, i went back to replay, he has 8 rines total at 5 minutes at my front... 12 workers with those rines, and 4 workers at home with MULES. i am going for a 3 gate robo, and my warpgate is no where close to done.
Reply Quote
01/10/2013 05:32 PMPosted by Waldo
ok, i went back to replay, he has 8 rines total at 5 minutes at my front... 12 workers with those rines, and 4 workers at home with MULES. i am going for a 3 gate robo, and my warpgate is no where close to done.

2 Zealots, sentry, stalker
Edited by AMadWalrus on 1/10/2013 7:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
practice training in darglein's micro trainer vs scv all in, i think lvl 7 was pretty easy to get for me, if you can get to 4-5 you should be ok
Reply Quote
01/10/2013 04:45 PMPosted by BrockLanders
The first marine pops at 3:09 with rax first builds. 3 min is too early to have any marines.

Good call. I knew 3 minutes was way too early for any more than a couple Marines, but since I never play Terran and don't really pay attention to timings that sensitively in PvT, this is good information.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]