StarCraft® II

The big thing missing in HOTS

is BIG THINGS! I was really hoping that Terran and Zerg would get a mothership-equivalent - like the Odin and that aerial Zerg thing from the air version of All-In :). Not quite a "hero" unit, but more like the "cherry on top" reward for completing most of the tech tree, which finishes off your max army - with modest special abilities that benefit the whole deathball (like cloak, or some kind of shield, or healing, or anti-air Strike Cannons or something) but are not nearly as good alone and won't overcome major flaws in your army.

I only play Toss 1/3rd of the time, but think it's a cool feeling waiting for a MS to pop - would love to see the Odin being constructed by 8 SCV's or something, or a hive mutating into that flying beast. (I also like having the choice between maxing sooner and attacking, or waiting a bit longer for an edge that might or might not justify the wait.)

Did Blizzard even consider this?
Reply Quote
There are thematic concerns.

The Protoss have a low population, but age slowly. This translates in game terms as big but expensive units, which is why they get really flashy stuff like the mothership.

The Zerg are just the opposite, created to be disposable. As a result, even their largest units emphasize mass production over individual strength. And the Terran are always in the middle.
Reply Quote
And with the new vortex, the Mommaship is hardly worth it any more.
Reply Quote
01/10/2013 04:24 PMPosted by Shiranui
And with the new vortex, the Mommaship is hardly worth it any more.

That's what people said about the Mothership for the first year of WoL, and without any changes, it became a go-to unit in most every game.
Reply Quote
Hero units have no place in sc. The mothership alone is enough of an atrocity and nothing like that should ever exist again. If kerrigan is a hero unit in most campaign missions then i will be so mad. This isn't frickin warcraft. Let me macro and build my armies. Get rid of all the stupid hero units.
Reply Quote
01/20/2013 04:43 AMPosted by Blasphemy
Hero units have no place in sc. The mothership alone is enough of an atrocity and nothing like that should ever exist again. If kerrigan is a hero unit in most campaign missions then i will be so mad. This isn't frickin warcraft. Let me macro and build my armies. Get rid of all the stupid hero units.

i agree unfornutaly i think kerrigan is a hero that keeps respawning if she dies in literally every mission...... i may try to challenge myself by not using her at all on the campaign
Reply Quote
Well, I've never played a campaign with fully-fledged hero units. I want to be able to know how it plays out. Besides, there's always WoL's campaign if hero units are terrible. I do think the Mothership is a bit far-fetched to be crammed into Starcraft and I would be more happy for the Arbiter any time.
Reply Quote
01/20/2013 01:07 PMPosted by raiderryan

i agree unfornutaly i think kerrigan is a hero that keeps respawning if she dies in literally every mission...... i may try to challenge myself by not using her at all on the campaign

I hope she doesn't just respawn, as that would mean that you could blindly send her in endlessly, but I'm looking forward to using Kerrigan. I miss the lack of commander in the army, it just makes it seem empty.
Reply Quote
You mean a Leviathan?

Kerrigan's levels up in HotS and one of the two abilities she has at max level is spawning a Leviathan or using drop pods to essentially get an instant army. In multiplayer, no. Too many balance issues, the model of the Leviathan alone is too much of an obstruction. The reason Ultralisks aren't the size of Barracks are because it would be difficult to see the units around it. There are clarity issues with that huge of a visual, besides the Leviathan is uber OP. It has Spine Crawlers attached to it, spits out acid, launches Scourge, and is a living factory for Mutalisks and Broodlords.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]