StarCraft® II

Starcraft 2 Races and Musical Instruments

I've noticed that a correlation can be made between the Starcraft 2 races and three very different musical instruments. Of course these are generalizations, but one has to make them in order to be able to compare such things. I'm a musician that plays bass, guitar and keyboard so I have sufficient knowledge of music to be able to make the comparison. I'm also a gold level Terran player that has mingled in the other two races and I find all of the races to be equally difficult in completely different ways contrary to popular opinion. Interestingly, I find this to be true of the musical instruments as well.

Protoss - (Piano): Becoming proficient at Protoss like the piano requires sufficient knowledge of strategy/music and this will make you progress faster in becoming proficient in this race/instrument. Mechanics/physical skill are less important when playing this race/instrument. Piano requires you to play the bass and treble simultaneously, while in Protoss' case it is warping units and producing them out of buildings at the same time. Protoss more than the other two races places extra importance on having the right build/strategy just like a pianist's knowledge of music can make a big difference in the quality of songs that are produced.

Terran - (Guitar): Terran and the guitar are both balanced in terms of knowledge of strategy/music and mechanics/physical skill. One needs to become at least decent at mechanics/skill if they wish to even play the guitar or terran at all, but it isn't an overriding factor. Knowledge of strategy/music does have a moderate level of importance in determining the outcome of battles and the quality of songs. Terran and the guitar are a nice middle ground between the high musical knowledge/strategy requirement to become strong at protoss/piano and the high mechanics/physical skill requirement to become strong at zerg/drums.

Zerg - (Drums): Zerg and the drums require a sufficient level of mechanics/physical skill before you are even capable of playing this race/instrument properly. Strategy/musical knowledge play less importance than the other two races/instruments as being able to produce units effectively and use the drum sticks effectively are of greater importance. Zerg players need to react and follow the opponent's strategy and timings. Drummers like zerg players must also follow the rhythm and pace of the music set by the bassist and the guitarist in the band.

*Note: High level musicians and high league Starcraft 2 players do require high level mechanics/physical skill and high level strategy/musical knowledge regardless of musical instruments and races. In my opinion, even high level musicians and high league SC2 players put greater importance towards mechanics/physical skills or strategy/musical knowledge depending on the musical instrument or race. However, the gap will start to close between the two as the player moves up in league and the musician improves their skill.*
Edited by Raver on 1/14/2013 5:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
Piano = Protoss?

What a delightful coincidence. Though I'm definitely better at piano than SC2 xP
Reply Quote
I play violin and zerg. Violin is like zerg because violins compensate for lack of volume in an orchestra by having many more of them.
Reply Quote
01/13/2013 08:44 PMPosted by Toortanga
I play violin and zerg. Violin is like zerg because violins compensate for lack of volume in an orchestra by having many more of them.

And bad Zergs all play viola.
Reply Quote
I played the clarinet. And I play Terran.
Not even close OP.
Reply Quote
Not even close OP.

It looks like you missed the point of this thread. It isn't to say that terran players are guitar players, but that the terran style of play fits the guitar style of play. I'm sure you can use other musical instruments as examples like Toortanga did, however I chose to focus on three very unique popular musical instruments to demonstrate the uniqueness of the three races.
Edited by Raver on 1/13/2013 8:56 PM PST
Reply Quote
Not even close OP.

It looks like you missed the point of this thread. It isn't to say that terran players are guitar players, but that the terran style of play fits the guitar style of play. I'm sure you can use other musical instruments as examples like Toortanga did, however I chose to focus on three very unique popular musical instruments to demonstrate the uniqueness of the three races.

Wait, by bass, do you mean double bass?

Because double bass isn't THAT popular.
Reply Quote

Well I didn't include bass as one of the three races, but I meant electric bass when mentioning it.
Edited by Raver on 1/13/2013 9:00 PM PST
Reply Quote

Well I didn't include bass as one of the three races, but I meant electric bass when discussing it.

Ah, I see.
Reply Quote
Interesting read, and cool idea comparing playing the different races to playing musical instruments. +1

A bit off the mark though. I play the piano/keyboard and the drums, but mained Terran for the last few years lol (Random now)
Reply Quote
Interesting read, and cool idea comparing playing the different races to playing musical instruments. +1

A bit off the mark though. I play the piano/keyboard and the drums, but mained Terran for the last few years lol (Random now)

Thank you. :) Yeah, I'm sure there are plenty of Protoss drummers and Zerg pianists, but of course the musical instruments in this thread serve as a metaphorical representation of the race as opposed to being the favored instrument of choice for the sc2 player of that race.
Edited by Raver on 1/13/2013 9:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
Random. Guitar, Drums, Bass.

Checkmate.
Reply Quote
I play guitar. I did main Terran for a while, but have been playing Random.

I can see the connection. I should make a song about starcraft.

AND NOT SOME ACOUSTIC CRAP MADE UP OF LIKE 4 CHORDS.

jesus i hate the radio...
Reply Quote
I play guitar. I did main Terran for a while, but have been playing Random.

I can see the connection. I should make a song about starcraft.

AND NOT SOME ACOUSTIC CRAP MADE UP OF LIKE 4 CHORDS.

jesus i hate the radio...

That would be cool. Lol, you should do a cover of the Terran theme with your guitar! :D
Edited by Raver on 1/16/2013 1:40 AM PST
Reply Quote
I've noticed that a correlation can be made between the Starcraft 2 races and three very different musical instruments. Of course these are generalizations, but one has to make them in order to be able to compare such things. I'm a musician that plays bass, guitar and keyboard so I have sufficient knowledge of music to be able to make the comparison. I'm also a gold level Terran player that has mingled in the other two races and I find all of the races to be equally difficult in completely different ways contrary to popular opinion. Interestingly, I find this to be true of the musical instruments as well.

Protoss - (Piano): Becoming proficient at protoss like the piano requires sufficient knowledge of strategy/music and this will make you progress faster in becoming proficient in this race/instrument. Mechanics/physical skill are less important when playing this race/instrument, however the piano/protoss is unique in that you have to manage two very different styles of mechanics simultaneously. In the piano's case it is performing bass and treble simultaneously, while in protoss' case it is warping units and producing them out of buildings.

Terran - (Guitar): Terran and the guitar are both balanced in terms of knowledge of strategy/music and mechanics/physical skill. One needs to become at least decent at mechanics/skill if they wish to even play the guitar or terran at all, but it isn't an overriding factor. Knowledge of strategy/music does have a moderate level of importance in determining the outcome of battles and the quality of songs. Terran and the guitar are a nice middle ground between the high musical knowledge/strategy requirement to become strong at protoss/piano and the high mechanics/physical skill requirement to become strong at zerg/drums.

Zerg - (Drums): Zerg and the drums require a sufficient level of mechanics/physical skill before you are even capable of playing this race/instrument properly. Strategy/musical knowledge play less importance than the other two races/instruments as being able to produce units effectively and use the drum sticks effectively are of greater importance. Zerg players need to react and follow the opponent's strategy and timings. Drummers like zerg players must also follow the rhythm and pace of the music set by the bassist and the guitarist in the band.

*Note: High level musicians and high league Starcraft 2 players do require high level mechanics/physical skill and high level strategy/musical knowledge regardless of musical instruments and races. However, in my opinion with high level musicians and high league SC2 players you will notice greater importance put towards mechanics/physical skills or strategy/musical knowledge depending on the musical instrument or race.*

mechanics for piano is less important? you can say that about any instrument you suck at playing.

The more mechanics the better you will play and piano has no less than guitar.
Reply Quote
mechanics for piano is less important? you can say that about any instrument you suck at playing.The more mechanics the better you will play and piano has no less than guitar.

Yeah.
I would flip this over. Playing keys in a rap band might be simple, but piano is also one of the most technically complex instruments anyone can play. The skill ceiling and expectations for piano players is so incredibly high, just look at the repertoire. No matter how good you are, there is still more difficult repertoire out there, you will never reach the top.

so i'd say piano = terran, with its unlimited possibilities if you can handle the action

protoss = vocals

zerg = oboe
Edited by Oboeman on 1/14/2013 8:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
hahahaahah :P
Reply Quote
01/14/2013 08:05 AMPosted by Oboeman
zerg = oboe

XD
Reply Quote

Protoss - (Piano): Becoming proficient at protoss like the piano requires sufficient knowledge of strategy/music and this will make you progress faster in becoming proficient in this race/instrument. Mechanics/physical skill are less important when playing this race/instrument, however the piano/protoss is unique in that you have to manage two very different styles of mechanics simultaneously. In the piano's case it is performing bass and treble simultaneously, while in protoss' case it is warping units and producing them out of buildings.

*Note: High level musicians and high league Starcraft 2 players do require high level mechanics/physical skill and high level strategy/musical knowledge regardless of musical instruments and races. However, in my opinion with high level musicians and high league SC2 players you will notice greater importance put towards mechanics/physical skills or strategy/musical knowledge depending on the musical instrument or race.*

This is fascinating, but I think you're making too many assumptions here. Equating SC2 mechanics with physical skill on the instruments as distinct from 'musical' skill is a flawed analogy, especially given your breakdown of piano/guitar/drums. Playing a piano or drums or guitar are not that different in terms of the relative importance of physical skills and artistic mindset as you imply. The fact that piano needs to balance treble and bass is no more or less (just differently) physically challenging than chording and strumming on a guitar or holding 2 competing rhythms as a percussionist.

I feel like making the more general analogy of it being similar to playing any instrument would have been more apropos, particularly since this sentence - "...it isn't an overriding factor" (referring to the requirement of basic technique) seems to sum up the mechanics/strategy dichotomy. I also am puzzled where you got to the contention that 'high-level SC2 players place more importance on mechanics or strategy depending on race'. How are we differentiating between mechanics and strategy in the play of super high-level players? Mechanics are so permeated into high-level play I don't know where you're drawing the line.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]