StarCraft® II

PvZ 2 Base Allin Discussion - Base to attack

Hey, I'm just starting this discussion thread because I'm curious about which base you prefer to attack when doing a 2 base allin, whether its blink stalker +2, immortal sentry allin, MC's one gas 7 gate (my preference) or some other. Do you prefer to attack the third or the natural?

Most professionals I watch always attack the third. However I just used MC's one gas allin against a Zerg on Ohana (during a clan war, which my team won), and I attacked into the natural instead. The reason I did this is because I figured it would be easier to fight their army. If you attack their third, the spawning units will come from the same direction, and all at once. If you attack the natural, the units at the natural spawn, and you kill them immediately. Then the units from the main come in, and you kill them, then the units from the third. You are effectively killing their army in pieces and you don't even have to move.

Since the third is relatively fresh when you do a 2 base allin, there won't generally be as much larva there, therefor less units will come from that direction if you attack into the natural instead. Being flanked isn't that much of a worry.

Any thoughts?
Reply Quote
ohai ther xzar

I personally think the base you attack should depend on some other factors; for example, are spinecrawlers ready at his 3rd but not at his natural? then, attack his natural. The map probably will also determine the best place to attack, as attacking the natural could lead to a surround by the zerg. I believe the reason many pros would attack the 3rd is because on many maps creep hasn't been spread to the 3rd, so their reinforcements might arrive later. but since it's an all-in anyways, why bother with the order? just hit both my friend :D
Reply Quote
ohai ther xzar

I personally think the base you attack should depend on some other factors; for example, are spinecrawlers ready at his 3rd but not at his natural? then, attack his natural. The map probably will also determine the best place to attack, as attacking the natural could lead to a surround by the zerg. I believe the reason many pros would attack the 3rd is because on many maps creep hasn't been spread to the 3rd, so their reinforcements might arrive later. but since it's an all-in anyways, why bother with the order? just hit both my friend :D

Oh hi there :P

The creep part is a good point, and of course I wouldn't attack straight into spine crawlers :P
Reply Quote
It's usually best to attack somewhere that takes their reinforcements a long time to get to. So, almost always, attack the 3rd base. If they have a lot of spines, then you can back off and attack elsewhere.
Reply Quote
01/06/2013 01:23 AMPosted by Sidewinder
It's usually best to attack somewhere that takes their reinforcements a long time to get to. So, almost always, attack the 3rd base. If they have a lot of spines, then you can back off and attack elsewhere.

Wouldn't taking their reinforcements on in pieces be better than all at once later?
Reply Quote
01/06/2013 02:09 AMPosted by Xzar

Wouldn't taking their reinforcements on in pieces be better than all at once later?

Not if they are coming from two different sides, meaning you either have no place to blink, your Stalkers are taking damage, or you have to somehow have double the forcefield energy in order to hold off the back attack.

If you attack the 3rd and they are relying on reinforcements, it's already a 2-base vs 2-base scenario anyway... anything popping out of that 3rd base is a complete waste of resources.
Reply Quote
01/06/2013 02:57 AMPosted by Sidewinder

Not if they are coming from two different sides, meaning you either have no place to blink, your Stalkers are taking damage, or you have to somehow have double the forcefield energy in order to hold off the back attack.

If you attack the 3rd and they are relying on reinforcements, it's already a 2-base vs 2-base scenario anyway... anything popping out of that 3rd base is a complete waste of resources.

Thats a good point. As for the blink part you said, I never use the blink stalker allin anymore. I just phased it out of my win rate with it went below 50% even though my blink micro is relatively good.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]