StarCraft® II

PC Build Advice please!!

I'm "building" my first PC and I'm doing it on the CyberPower website. I plan on using this system for gaming( SC2, LOL, Firefall, Planetside 2) and making youtube videos. Are there any suggestions to improve my build? Can this run Starcraft 2 on ultra settings? What other games could I run at max settings? I'm trying to keep it in the same general price range which is $1200 with shipping. The config number is 1ET7B4. Thanks!

PC:
Zalman Z11 Plus Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ USB 3.0 & Side-Panel Window
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3570K 3.40 GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified)
Performance Tuning Protection Plan by Intel: None
Venom Boost Fast And Efficient Factory Overclocking: No Overclocking
Cooling Fan: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) (Dual Standard 120MM Fans (Push-Pull))
Coolant for Cyberpower Xtreme Hydro Water Cooling Kits: Standard Coolant
Motherboard: [CrossFireX/SLI] GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-D3H Intel Z77 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ IRST, Lucid Virtu MVP, Ultra Durable4 Classic, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 3x Gen3 PCIe x16, 3x PCIe x1 & 1 PCI (All Venom OC Certified)
Memory: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (Kingston HyperX)
Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD)
Power Supply Upgrade: 750 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-750TXV2 80 Plus Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready
Hard Drive: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)
Optical Drive: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
Network: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
Keyboard: (Keyboard & Mouse Combo) Razer Cyclosa Gaming Keyboard & Abyssus Gaming
Wireless 802.11 B/G/N Access Point: None
Flash Media Reader/Writer: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
Internal USB Port: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)
Ultra Care Option: Professional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chassis - Minimize Cable Exposure, Maximize Airflow in Your System
Edited by Jukester on 1/16/2013 3:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
Can you build your own?
What's your budget?
Reply Quote
Planetside 2 is lopsidedly CPU-bound while also being a GPU killer. If you intend to play Planetside 2 seriously, I actually recommend moving up to i7-3770k.

You do not need a 750W power supply for a single GPU system.

I wouldn't pay $$$ for fancy keyboard/mouse, and instead, spend it on a more powerful GPU instead.

You do not need fancy wiring system option thing they have. You can do it on your own.
Reply Quote
The keyboard and mouse are free with their gaming sale. I personally have no idea how to build my own computer or wire it and stuff. I got the 750W so I don't need to worry about power when I expand my system. The max I would be willing to pay is like$1250. That build with shipping is $1202.
Reply Quote
Would my system be fine for Planetside if I turned down the settings. Like low or medium? I'm like slightly above rookie level when it comes to PC gaming haha
Reply Quote
You don't HAVE to get i7; i5 is enough, just that i7 would give you a bit more FPS when things get crazy in Planetside 2.

Consequently, you don't need to lower the settings that much.
Edited by Hibachi on 1/17/2013 1:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
750W is still overkill.
650W can handle dual 7950s.
Reply Quote
Save money on PSU, keyboard, mouse and operating system. Bill gates is already rich . Go download an operating system of piraty bay and torrent that. No need to help bill gates build a bigger pool for his mansion LOL.. Get windows 7 with an activator.

stick with the i5, any shortcomings of the i5 ( not that any exist) will be fix with its natural turboost overclock. If you want, overclock it to 4.5 ghz.

Save loot.

Thats about 400 in savings i just gave you.

Now throw that 400 into a monster gpu and you be good to go , with a seriously killer rig.

gtx 670 or radeon 7970. planet side 2 benchmarks? probably to much frames to count.
Edited by Incinerate on 1/19/2013 5:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
mouse and keyboard was free
Reply Quote
Curious but what resolution will you be playing on?
If it is less than 1080p you should fine with this current setup.

Though for most gamers running a single card is probably more efficient unless you plan on doing triple monitors. If you are to upgrade in the future a 600watt psu should be more than enough.
If you Blizzard+LoL games are your main priorities then this is more than enough

just my 2cents.
Reply Quote
I am usually an AMD guy, but the GeForce GTX 660 is by far the best SC2 card for the money!

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Catalyst_12.11_Performance/17.html

That's just because Blizzard inherently coded SCII to run better on nVidia's cards. Radeon 7850/7870 are still the best value cards for overall performance in games.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the feedback guys. I plan on just running it at the lowest possible settings that get me ultra. I'm not too sure what those are exactly but I don't think I will be doing 1080p?
Reply Quote
So are you saying that running games on 1920×1080 will be too much for my rig? I plan on getting a 23 inch monitor at this resolution.
Reply Quote
01/22/2013 10:59 AMPosted by Syn
So are you saying that running games on 1920×1080 will be too much for my rig? I plan on getting a 23 inch monitor at this resolution.

I own a Radeon 7870 and it's a beast in every game BUT StarCraft and WoW and Diablo 3 (although Diablo is easy to run so you should have no issues). Really, it's just due to Blizzard's "poor" (I use that word loosely) coding for AMD graphics cards.

You'll be fine at 1920 x 1080.
Edited by MtlGuitarist on 1/22/2013 2:34 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]