Intro Cinematic ruined by dumb Wilhelm Scream

I just had to complain about this. Not because I like to complain (I swear I don't), but because I was genuinely miffed and disappointed by this.

At 1:44. Ridiculous: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVbeoSPqRs4&lc=T3-RLqsfeCa6HfnOMzEwiOIUK_kM5qsDhA0_qUbKFDs

The newly released opening cutscene to the HotS campaign was absolutely enthralling me to the point that I was getting emotional because of how epic and awesome and terrifying it was, seeing this Terran metrapolis be heroically defended against all odds by what seemed to be a bunch of brave pilots and soldiers, then Blizzard decides to sabotage the whole experience by throwing in the most classically retarded and regurgitated soundbit in medial history, successfully taking me out of the cinematic completely and bein' like, "Pff, what??".

Dude, if you're gonna make a Marine scream upon his immanent death, why not just pay one of your voice actors an extra dollar instead of just pulling this joke of an effect off the internet? Maybe make a manlier scream that actually matches the leatherneck personality of the common Terran Marine. And if the producers insisted on putting it in there to pay omage to classic film or what the hell ever, I mean, why would they sacrifice the integrity of such a dramatic scene for it? It's almost selfish.

I don't understand the world anymore.
Reply Quote
Just an Easter egg that a lot of directors like to put in their movies. It is so overused by now.
Edited by Praetorian on 1/22/2013 7:50 AM PST
Reply Quote
It's quite possible they might replace it later on. It might just be a placeholder. And what movie is it from anyway?
Reply Quote
I have to agree it feels really out of place. When I heard it I was like was that a starwars storm trooper that just got killed there?:P
Edited by VonFoxFire on 1/22/2013 1:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
This is like breaking up with a kind, gorgeous and loveable girlfriend just because she has a mole.
Reply Quote
01/22/2013 12:55 PMPosted by DarthMalgus
It's quite possible they might replace it later on. It might just be a placeholder. And what movie is it from anyway?

The Wilhelm scream came from the 1951 movie Distant Drums. While American soldiers were making their way through a swamp in the Everglades, one of got bitten and dragged down by an alligator. I forgot whether the scream was part of a series of screams, or the only one. Either way, it was later rediscovered and became popular (or something like that).
Reply Quote
I laughed when he screamed. Probably just an easter egg. Why do people consistently nitpick at everything? Please, pull the stick out of your @$$ and complain about something important.
Edited by Wolverine on 1/23/2013 6:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
Gotta agree with the OP. The sound just kills any immersion the cinematic had up until that point.
Reply Quote
01/23/2013 06:24 PMPosted by Wolverine
I laughed when he screamed. Probably just an easter egg. Why do people consistently nitpick at everything? Please, pull the stick out of your @$$ and complain about something important.

Except this happens to be a really good nitpick. The cinematic comes off as trying to be serious and keeps your attention throughout...but then a Wilhelm scream enters the pictures, and suddenly you end up losing all the hype and epicness for the Starcraft environment the video previously gave off.

Sure it got an initial chuckle out of me, but it was more of a "Seriously? You seriously just did that?" kind of laugh then geniunely laughing...

The sad thing is that it wasn't even used correctly for the scene anyway. The Wilhelm scream is suppose to come in AFTER something drastic happens to the screamer...not beforehand.
Edited by RLL on 1/23/2013 8:39 PM PST
Reply Quote

Except this happens to be a really good nitpick. The cinematic comes off as trying to be serious and keeps your attention throughout...but then a Wilhelm scream enters the pictures, and suddenly you end up losing all the hype and epicness for the Starcraft environment the video previously gave off.

Sure it got an initial chuckle out of me, but it was more of a "Seriously? You seriously just did that?" kind of laugh then geniunely laughing...

The sad thing is that it wasn't even used correctly for the scene anyway. The Wilhelm scream is suppose to come in AFTER something drastic happens to the screamer...not beforehand.

I think it's just minor thing. Sure, It would of been better without it. I agree, but it's not really a giant flaw for the trailer to be ruined at that point. It still carries the serious tone. One hiccup should not ruin a trailer for someone, that is "nitpicking"
Edited by Wolverine on 1/23/2013 8:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/22/2013 01:24 PMPosted by JohnnyZeWolf
This is like breaking up with a kind, gorgeous and loveable girlfriend just because she has a mole.

Pretty much dude. lol. Good analogy
Reply Quote
Meh, it's sort of a tradition for movies/games that pops up every now and then. Blizzard has always injected humor into their games, so I'm really not surprised. Is it out of place? A little, but for an instant and then (personally) I'm right back in the awe of the Zerg rampaging the city, the statue of Mengsk crumbling and Kerrigan in her bladed glory.
Reply Quote
It didn't really ruin it for me.

My reaction to it and the whole cinematic was more like: "OH MY GOD, THIS IS COOL! OH MY GOD, THIS IS COOL! OH MY GOD THIS, IS COOL...the 'Wilhelm Scream'? Really?...OH MY GOD, THIS IS COOL!"
Reply Quote
I didn't even notice this scream until I saw someone mention it in the YouTube comments.

Now I'm going to notice it in everything.
Reply Quote
The scream doesn't ruin anything.. everyone is making this into a deal and it doesn't need to be.
Reply Quote
The Diablo face on the shoulder of the solder at 1:40 is what broke the realism for me. And the gnome air freshener of course. Or maybe the Terrans live in this world in the future and the games still exist so they play them too
Reply Quote
01/25/2013 03:51 PMPosted by Muskeris
The Diablo face on the shoulder of the solder at 1:40 is what broke the realism for me.

I'm amazed you were even able to see that. Even after looking at it hard enough, the only thing I can make out perfectly is Diablo's nose.
Reply Quote
Was I the only one that thought "Please don't do Inception dream crap in the campaign" by the end of it?
Reply Quote
01/25/2013 06:04 PMPosted by RLL
The Diablo face on the shoulder of the solder at 1:40 is what broke the realism for me.

I'm amazed you were even able to see that. Even after looking at it hard enough, the only thing I can make out perfectly is Diablo's nose.
Wow, I didn't expect they would throw in Diablo homage as well. Sharp eye there!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]