StarCraft® II

Upcoming change: Spectators and triggers

(Sticky)

Developer
The next Swarm beta patch will include significant changes to the way spectators are handled within the game. Spectating users will no longer be considered players, and will no longer be associated with a player slot.

For triggers, this means that the Spectator and Referee values within the Player Controller preset are now obsolete, and the Controller Of Player function will never return these values. The values will remain in the editor for backward compatibility with existing maps, but should no longer be used.

Custom maps using these values may need to be updated to account for these changes. In order to allow spectating players that can affect the game through triggers, maps should now add explicit player slots for these players within the Player Properties dialog.
Reply Quote
your probe portrait is adorable
Reply Quote
Man I wish I had a probe as a portrait right now so I could fit in with the cool kids...Blizz please let me change my portrait while on the forums :D
Edited by eXaUghZean on 1/24/2013 9:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
Probes OP
Reply Quote
This could also mean no lag by spectator/casters?
Reply Quote
Just to be sure, will it be still possible select "referee" as opposed to just "observer" only? Just to be sure they didn't decide to cut out referees at the same time.

01/24/2013 07:29 AMPosted by Rotidecs
In order to allow spectating players that can affect the game through triggers, maps should now add explicit player slots for these players within the Player Properties dialog.

Will there be some sort of "observer" and "referee" explicit player slots for that or does that implies you are forced to use a "human player" slot (like a 100% normal player one) and actually bother to emulate the observer/referee via triggers for it?

If it's "observer" and "referee" explicit slots, will said observer/referee be able to communicate naturally with other observers/referees that aren't taking any player slot?
Reply Quote
Will this result in any changes regarding how the mapmaker can affect which dialogs are visible when observers are using the god-mode view?
Reply Quote
There is a bug with spectating, not sure if anyone knows about it, and its also really hard to explain. If spectator1 goes to spectator2's camera and they both hold DEL or INSERT on their keyboard, then spectator2 goes to spectator1's camera (while spectator1 holds DEL or INSERT) then both spectators cameras will spin rapidly.
Reply Quote
01/24/2013 08:55 AMPosted by Interceptor
your probe portrait is adorable

May we have moving portraits in the game? Similar to Wc3 Bnet design, but expanding upon? I think that would be highly appreciated by the community and add an extra coat of depth polished onto the battle.net design [which is already a great design].
Reply Quote
Developer
01/24/2013 10:09 AMPosted by Honejasi
Just to be sure, will it be still possible select "referee" as opposed to just "observer" only? Just to be sure they didn't decide to cut out referees at the same time.

The Referee setting will still be available in the game.

01/24/2013 10:09 AMPosted by Honejasi
Will there be some sort of "observer" and "referee" explicit player slots for that or does that implies you are forced to use a "human player" slot (like a 100% normal player one) and actually bother to emulate the observer/referee via triggers for it?

No, these will just be normal player slots. You'll need to configure appropriate settings for teams, vision, etc. These players won't get the built-in spectator UI.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]