StarCraft® II

SEA / AUS / NZ / Japan Connection Issues

(Locked)

Thanks Spazbog, worked for me
Thanks Spazbog!

I worry about the state of blizzard these days, the solution was so simple yet all they could come up with was something irrelevant.
I have tried the above it did not work so any way to know when blizzard can restore it without us having to troubleshooting
i have tried this add file to hosts thing i have done it but did not work for me can someone post how they did it and what it looks like to make sure i did it right thanks
It appears that us.depot.battle.net is resolving to IP address 68.232.45.253 when it should be resolving to 12.120.152.128. To fix just this one IP address you can just add an entry to the hosts file instead of screwing with DNS settings (usually located at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts) to do so open the hosts file with wordpad or notepad and add the following line (you may need to run wordpad as an administrator to save the hosts file)

12.120.152.128 us.depot.battle.net

Why the great minds at Blizz want you to change your DNS completely instead of just the one broken IP address I don't know.

Blizzard please fix this issue. I don't just follow some random person claiming to add things to core system files of my windows.

2 weeks now!!! Time to get this done.
01/29/2013 12:35 AMPosted by Tanker
Blizzard please fix this issue. I don't just follow some random person claiming to add things to core system files of my windows.

You sure sound like a bucket of fun to be around. Count the paperclips in your office too?
@Tanker: Please stop unnecessarily complaining about the fix if you don't want to take it. Simply leave it alone for others to see and use. The file in question is most definitely not a core system file and will not disable a computer or create vulnerabilities as it specifically deals with resolving internet protocol, not any services or programs on one's computer.

On a side note, I did find that the two IPs are registered to completely different organisations, which seems unusual unless the Servers' have been physically moved or their ISPs have been changed. The correct one shows as AT&T as http://tinyurl.com/bczalle
while the "new" one is on Edgecast, http://tinyurl.com/a736y6a

While I'm not entirely sure what this means, and I would assume that Blizzard is already aware of this, perhaps this is related to the problem? :S
I've been discussing the problem with my ISP (iiNet) and they think the problem is with Akamai.

If you run "dig us.depot.battle.net" with iiNet's DNS server you get this:
us.depot.battle.net. 300 IN CNAME wpc.758c.att-acdn.net.
wpc.758c.att-acdn.net. 2652 IN CNAME gs1.wpc.edgecastcdn.net.
gs1.wpc.edgecastcdn.net. 3563 IN A 68.232.45.253

With Google's DNS:
us.depot.battle.net. 99 IN CNAME wpc.758c.att-acdn.net.
wpc.758c.att-acdn.net. 6433 IN CNAME wpc.758c.na.att-acdn.net.
wpc.758c.na.att-acdn.net. 5924 IN CNAME site-rrc--grp-ldr--gc1.wpc.nossl.ms.ap.att-acdn.net.
site-rrc--grp-ldr--gc1.wpc.nossl.ms.ap.att-acdn.net. 380 IN CNAME site-rrc--grp-ldr--gc1.wpc.nossl.ms.na.att-acdn.net.
site-rrc--grp-ldr--gc1.wpc.nossl.ms.na.att-acdn.net. 26 IN A 12.120.152.128

Apparently wpc.758c.att-acdn.net belongs to Akamai and it is giving out a different IP address to Google than it is to iiNet (and presumably other ISPs in SEA). I don't know why this is happening, but I'm pretty sure Blizzard are aware of it and are trying to get it fixed. Meanwhile iiNet is also trying to request Akamai to fix it.

It would be nice if Blizzard could provide more information on the problem and keep us all updated. I bet if the problem was affecting people in the US it would get a higher priority.
Disclaimer: The following fixes are temporary workarounds for the issue that's affecting SEA players who use the NA server. Once Blizzard fixes the problem you should undo these changes.

First, please try to raise a support ticket via https://us.battle.net/support/en/ticket/submit . That way, Blizzard will still know this is problem that needs fixing. If you can't raise a support ticket, try these steps: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/7763317485#11

Next, if you just want a workaround so you can keep playing the game, do the following:

Mac users: see http://us.battle.net/sc2/en-us/forum/topic/7708411977?page=5#100

Windows users:

First try changing your DNS to use Google's server: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/7708411977#1

If that doesn't fix the problem, instead try modifying your hosts file as follows:

1. Close Starcraft.
2. Open your Windows start menu, search for the Notepad application and then right click on the Notepad icon.
3. Choose "Run as administrator".
4. In Notepad, go to File -> Open.
5. Type or paste the following and press enter:
C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
6. You should now see the contents of the hosts file.
7. Go to the bottom of the file and add this:
8. Save the file and close Notepad.
9. Start Starcraft and see if this has fixed your problem.
Edited by Nobody on 2/3/2013 10:01 AM PST
if we change the hosts file what happens if blizzard make changes to their address location in the future, we will be boned as they will have no way of knowing that we made the change and we will have no way of knowing that blizzard made the change.
@Tanker: Please stop unnecessarily complaining about the fix if you don't want to take it. Simply leave it alone for others to see and use. The file in question is most definitely not a core system file and will not disable a computer or create vulnerabilities as it specifically deals with resolving internet protocol, not any services or programs on one's computer.

I am just help the follower's that read a random post on the internet and add it. Do not believe me. Just google " firewall help " to many sad people out there.
Also this does not work. I have tried it on a VM I have tried it on more then one system. The so called work around is not a work around. So please stop trying to act cool and grow up for once and think outside your little box.

Come on blizzard..

P.S after reading what you said. Windows system 32 is core files. So please. Google before you post
Edited by Tanker on 1/29/2013 5:14 PM PST
01/29/2013 04:11 PMPosted by Fakuna
if we change the hosts file what happens if blizzard make changes to their address location in the future, we will be boned as they will have no way of knowing that we made the change and we will have no way of knowing that blizzard made the change.

You can just delete the line from the host file...

It will be the first thing I do if SC2 stops working for me.
The hosts file is not a core system file it is a configuration file for TCP/IP (try hiding the system files and you can still see and open it) - it is a plain text file with no extension that by default does absolutely nothing unless modified. You could delete the entire contents of the file and nothing bad would happen as all the stuff in the file is a bunch of comments explaining how to use the file. If they didn’t expect people to use the file why does the file itself explain how to use it? Look it up on google if you don't want to blindly trust me (which is fine you shouldn’t blindly trust random people on forums but don’t blindly say it’s wrong or bad without looking it up first).

The hosts file allows you to configure your own overriding DNS settings. In theory you could screw stuff up by adding entries that now don't resolve correctly where they would have otherwise, but it is only TCP/IP name resolution, nothing else on your system will be affected. In fact some people intentionally set it up to resolve the wrong IP Address to block ad server domain names for example.

You can remove any of the settings by deleting the line of text containing them or simply adding a hash symbol in front of the line (#) like how most of the file is by default.

If people are still having issues in the game you could try also adding us.actual.battle.net to the file but for me it was already resolving properly.

12.130.244.193 us.actual.battle.net

The worst thing that can happen is that Bliz changes the IP Address of the domain names in question again - in this case you would need to remove the entry from the file or update the IP Address in the file with the new one. Unfortunately the likely way of finding out that happened is that stuff stops working in the game again but the likelihood of the IP Address changing again anytime soon would be slim you would hope after the mess it has just caused.

If Bliz changes the domain names used in the game then the setting will have no effect. Also once the issue is fixed properly you can either leave the setting there or remove it, it will be redundant if left there but won't harm anything if left there unless the IP changes again.

if anyone wants to know, here is what my hosts file looks like:

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost

It just has the entry for us.depot.battle.net, all the stuff at the top of the file is just comments you can put anything on a line that starts with a hash symbol (#) and it won't do anything.
If you're having trouble getting the "hosts file" workaround to work, try these steps:

1. Follow this guide to edit your hosts file:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/27350/beginner-geek-how-to-edit-your-hosts-file/
2. Add this to the bottom of the hosts file:
3. Save and close the file.
4. Open a command window by typing this in the Start Menu search:
cmd
5. In the window that opens, type in the following and press enter:
ping us.depot.battle.net
6. Now look at what it says on the "Reply from" lines.
7. If it says "12.120.152.128", you're done. SC2 should now work properly on the NA server.
8. If it still says "68.232.45.253", you may have done something wrong in the previous steps. Go through them again carefully.

If it says "12.120.152.128" but SC2 still doesn't work on the NA server, there must be some other problem. If you haven't already, try using Google's DNS server as described at the start of this thread. Be sure to run "ipconfig /flushdns" after changing it.

Thanks to you and to spazdog, works for me now too.

It's awesome that StarCraft has cool people like you to help us out.
i always get the error message :
CLIENTSIDECACHE_READ_FILE_NOT_LOCAL

i cannot see the race or difficulty in multiplayer or play games in single player!
all that works is the campaign..

Please fix this issue
thank you great fix!
Same here tired of seeing "..." and "download failed please try again"

Blizzard please fix this im in AUS playing on the NA servers

Photo : https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-MyvAKkI0WnM/UQkWo7boDKI/AAAAAAAAABA/847iMLHsB64/s1152/Startcraft%25202%2520Problem%2520....jpg

Im on Mac specs are here :

Processor 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
It appears that us.depot.battle.net is resolving to IP address 68.232.45.253 when it should be resolving to 12.120.152.128. To fix just this one IP address you can just add an entry to the hosts file instead of screwing with DNS settings (usually located at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts) to do so open the hosts file with wordpad or notepad and add the following line (you may need to run wordpad as an administrator to save the hosts file)

Why the great minds at Blizz want you to change your DNS completely instead of just the one broken IP address I don't know.

Thank you. Genius
Can someone help me fix this. I have the same problem but I am on a Mac and I dont know how to fix any of it.
Mac instructions:

First try changing your DNS server to Google's as follows:
1. Exit SC2
2. Go to this website:
https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using
3. Scroll down to where it says "Mac OS X"
4. Follow the instructions
5. Run SC2 and see if it now works.
6. If it doesn't work, flush the DNS cache by running Terminal (in Applications/Utilities) and entering this command:
sudo dscacheutil -flushcache

If that doesn't fix it, try changing your hosts file:
1. Exit SC2
2. Go to this site:
http://osxdaily.com/2012/08/07/edit-hosts-file-mac-os-x/
3. Follow the instructions
4. When you get to the part where you modify the file, add this at the bottom of the file:
5. Follow the rest of the instructions to save and close the file. If you get stuck, they have a video tutorial on that page too.
6. Now try running SC2 again.

Hopefully that fixes it.

As others have pointed out, this is really only a temporary fix until the underlying issue gets fixed. The worst thing that will happen is if Blizzard changes the IP address sometime in the future. Then you'll just go back to having the same problems you're seeing at the moment. If that ever happens, just undo the change to the hosts file.
Edited by Nobody on 1/30/2013 7:14 AM PST
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]