SEA / AUS / NZ / Japan Connection Issues

(Locked)

The erroneous name resolution to 68.232.45.253 has been corrected. Please let us know if you can connect normally to StarCraft II, and can see and join all multiplayer options.

Sorry, the problem still exists for me.

I feel like we're going round in circles here, but I've tested everything again and nothing seems to have changed from two weeks ago.

Using my ISP's DNS (iiNet) and no host file modifications, I have these problems when using the US server:
* I get an error when I click on a game in my map history
* I get an error when downloading any new maps (e.g. custom or arcade games)
* I can play quick matches, but I think this is only because I downloaded the content before this problem started happening. Other people are getting errors here too.

As soon as I change my DNS to 8.8.8.8 (Google) or add "12.120.152.128 us.depot.battle.net" to my hosts file, the problems go away.

Using my ISP's DNS, us.depot.battle.net resolves to 68.232.45.253, which is wpc.edgecastcdn.net. Using google's DNS, us.depot.battle.net resolves to 12.120.152.128, which is site-rrc--grp-ldr--gc1.wpc.nossl.ms.na.att-acdn.net.

Using my ISP's DNS, accessing http://us.depot.battle.net:1119/000000test.txt gives me "404 - Not Found". Using Google's DNS (or after modifying my hosts file), accessing http://us.depot.battle.net:1119/000000test.txt gives me "00 Test successful."

Accessing http://68.232.45.253:1119/000000test.txt or http://12.120.152.128:1119/000000test.txt both give me "404 - Not Found".

I submitted a ticket with this information last week (except the bit about the http URLs) and got this response:

We understand that many players are frustrated by the situation and are blaming Blizzard for the DNS issue. If they are unable to use the DNS workaround hopefully the issue will be resolved on their end soon.

As a customer support representative we are unfortunately not able to discuss what caused the issue with the DNS change, simply because we have not been given that information by our server technicians.

The DNS issue is only affecting Australia, New Zealand, and Southeast Asia countries. What we have been told is that our ISP has fully investigated the issue and have determined it is not something that we will be able to resolve. However, our ISP has contacted the affected providers to notify them of what is happening. Our server technicians do want to see that this is resolved as soon as possible and will do what they can do make sure that happens.

In my opinion this is a cop out. Surely you (Blizzard) have to pay a lot of money to your network providers to provide a service such as battle.net to countries all over the world. Surely that money includes a support contract and some sort of SLA? Surely it can't be that hard to work together with your network providers to find a solution? Surely this sort of problem shouldn't still be going on two weeks after it's been reported?

Let's just hope it gets fixed before March 12th.
Edited by Nobody on 2/1/2013 9:45 AM PST
The people in the beta are not getting this error. Just the people playing this one. So yeah... Blizzard will not fix this nor will they even try. Work around's have been handed out. So to them.. It is done.
On March 12th the issue will get fixed as they will release a update on or before this fixing to make sure you can connect to the new game.
So in short. This issue is a dead issue to blizzard. Why do you think it has been over 2 weeks since they even updated any information about this issue and the fix?

They have offered you a fix to allow you to play. Even thou you need to go into windows system 32 ( CORE FILES ) to access the game online and change you DNS server to public server. This is fine with blizzard.
Because they do not care about the home user. Blizzard is the new EA games.. Anything to make a quick buck off will work.
Cmon blizzard. this is retarded.

Why would I buy HotS when this is the service I get?

I am unable to play on the US server at all, has been for ~weeks now.

This is totally unacceptable.

Lift your game tech support and patch this issue.
Ok. I get what blizzard is doing. You want to this game then you need to download the Sea version of the game.
I am doing it right now and I can play any game without any error at all. Only thing is that no one is even on so yeah.

10 people in gen chat WOOT!!
Hi,

I also have this issue and here are my results:

- nslookup
Name: gs1.wpc.edgecastcdn.net
Address: 68.232.45.253
Aliases: us.depot.battle.net // wpc.758c.att-acdn.net

- telnet us.depot.battle.net
Can connect

- telnet us.actual.us.battle.net
Can connect

- tracert us.depot.us.battle.net
After 7 hops trace is complete

- tracert us.actual.us.battle.net
Request to 206.16.68.46 seems to be successful (hop 15). After this only timeout

I tried to change the DNS server, but no success...

What else can I do?

Thanks and Best Regards
Philipp
Hi,

I also have this issue and here are my results:

- nslookup
Name: gs1.wpc.edgecastcdn.net
Address: 68.232.45.253
Aliases: us.depot.battle.net // wpc.758c.att-acdn.net

- telnet us.depot.battle.net
Can connect

- telnet us.actual.us.battle.net
Can connect

- tracert us.depot.us.battle.net
After 7 hops trace is complete

- tracert us.actual.us.battle.net
Request to 206.16.68.46 seems to be successful (hop 15). After this only timeout

What else can I do?

Thanks and Best Regards
Philipp

Edited core window files. Outside of that download the Sea version of the game and play there. Blizzard wont fix this and wont even try to. I call phone support daily about this and all I get is the same crap over and over.

IT IS YOUR ISP!! Nothing to do with ours talk to your ISP!! We cannot do anything.
looking at other profile in game is also very laggy
is anybody having this problem too
japan :D

What else can I do?

Hi phklsch,

I'm curious to find out why changing the DNS server seems to work for some of us but not others. Can you try this:
1. Change your DNS server to 8.8.8.8
2. Open a command prompt (or Terminal if on a Mac) and type this:
ping us.depot.battle.net

3. Copy/paste the output here
4. In your browser, go to:
http://us.depot.battle.net:1119/000000test.txt

5. Let us know what it says.

This should help us work out whether (a) the DNS server isn't getting changed properly, or (b) it's getting changed but there is some other problem going on.

Also, which exact problem are you seeing? Unable to log in to SC2, or problems starting a quick match etc.?
This worked for me and I'm a happy camper in China!! I changed both 4 & 6 with the both IP addresses (preferred and alternate) and everything came back up for me. Thank you thank you thank you!!
this !@#$ %^-*ed up my computer.. so wtf dude.. im US/NA player.. i wanna play in other regions how thaaa }saskajsikjqisjqi do i do? i mean, everybody is sayin they can play in other regions and i cannot :3 wtf
If you bought the SEA version of SC2:WoL then you can play in both SEA and NA (ignoring the current problems everyone's having). I don't think it's the same for the other regions.

When HotS comes out everyone will be able to play in any of the regions (except China). This applies to both WoL and HotS. See http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/7826684/Global_Play_Coming_to_StarCraft_II-12_21_2012
Please post the fix for the lag spikes/drop issues.

I'm having the same problems as well. Here's my tracert from last night. Please help me. Today I could've won 7 games instead I just get dropped.

Tracing route to 202.9.67.254 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 14 ms 11 ms 13 ms 10.15.32.1
2 51 ms 10 ms 26 ms ge-1-4.sj1.skybroadband.com.ph [114.108.192.153]

3 30 ms 9 ms 29 ms 114.108.192.186
4 22 ms 25 ms 52 ms 114.108.192.185
5 30 ms 29 ms 13 ms 10GE1-1-0.GW.SJ.skybroadband.com.ph [114.108.192
.133]
6 29 ms 28 ms 60 ms 121.97.49.9.BTI.NET.PH [121.97.49.9]
7 41 ms 110 ms 35 ms TenGigE-1-0-0.gw1.rsv.bayan.net.ph [202.78.96.16
1]
8 41 ms 50 ms 64 ms 121.189.2.69
9 101 ms 129 ms 132 ms 112.174.87.53
10 136 ms 95 ms * i-0-4-0-0.siko02.bi.telstraglobal.net [202.84.21
9.46]
11 107 ms 86 ms * i-9-0-0.siko-core02.bi.telstraglobal.net [202.84
.219.45]
12 108 ms 107 ms 122 ms i-3-3-0.tmh-core04.bx.telstraglobal.net [202.84.
144.73]
13 164 ms 162 ms 170 ms i-5-2-3.6ntp-core01.bx.telstraglobal.net [202.84
.140.218]
14 198 ms 167 ms 180 ms i-0-1-0-1.6ntp01.bi.telstraglobal.net [202.84.18
0.142]
15 160 ms 197 ms 165 ms unknown.telstraglobal.net [202.126.173.182]
16 181 ms 148 ms 166 ms xe-1-1-1.gw401.sg2.ap.equinix.com [27.111.222.10
7]
17 152 ms 153 ms 175 ms 27.111.222.82
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

Here's what happens to me.

I play a game and its ok at the start. 5 minutes into the game and I begin to get lag spikes. 10 minutes or so into the game I'll drop from the game. Help please.
Paoskie, since you can actually start a game, that sounds like a different problem to what people in this thread are experiencing. I recommend making a new thread and waiting for Blizzard support to reply. Or you can create a support ticket: https://us.battle.net/support/en/ticket/submit
The erroneous name resolution to 68.232.45.253 has been corrected. Please let us know if you can connect normally to StarCraft II, and can see and join all multiplayer options.If you set your connection to use the Google Public DNS servers, try setting it back to:Obtain DNS server address automaticallyIf you added an entry to your Hosts file, you can delete it, or comment it out:# 12.120.152.128 us.depot.battle.netWe apologize for the difficulties. Thank you all for posting all of the information we've asked for, and we appreciate all of the support and help from the community.

Ahhh thanks for the fix, cant test yet I am at work, but presuming it works. . . . . do you remember all those times you said the problem was at our end? Do you realise how sick of being told this by blizzard every time you make a patch that ruins things for us? It is blatantly obvious, blizzard release a patch, the game breaks for everyone in a region, HOW WAS THAT EVER NOT GOING TO BE AN ISSUE AT YOUR END!!!!!!

If this isn't fixed now I presume you will actually investigate what was changed that has caused this issue?

Given the timing and lack of reponse and input or even acknowledgement of the issue with YOUR DNS provider until now, and a beta with no issues, you cant blame people for thinking Blizzard have a game they are happy to leave broken to force people to buy the not broken expansion.
Edited by Fakuna on 2/3/2013 4:44 PM PST
1. Close Starcraft.
2. Open your Windows start menu, search for the Notepad application and then right click on the Notepad icon.
3. Choose "Run as administrator".
4. In Notepad, go to File -> Open.
5. Type or paste the following and press enter:
C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

6. You should now see the contents of the hosts file.
7. Go to the bottom of the file and add this:
12.120.152.128 us.depot.battle.net

8. Save the file and close Notepad.
9. Start Starcraft and see if this has fixed your problem.

This worked for me and i also am using google DNS not sure if thats any difference thanks heaps!!!!!!
Off to play SC2 again..!!! YAY!!!!
I've done the solution using the hosts file and it's worked. The issue (so far as I've tested) is completely absolved. Thank you to the lovely people who helped bring this SUPER simple info to my attention.

Note: saving the hosts file can be hard. Look up how to save the hosts file on the interwebs. It involves running it through run-as-admin command prompt window. Seemples!
could I send my host file to another person or does it have personal information on it?
Thanks to all that responded to this thread with possible ways to fix this issue.

The post from "Nobody" on page 5 did the trick for me, great steps easy to follow appreciate it!
I am still broken after all of the fixes suggested. Can a blue with balls come up with a proper fix please?
02/05/2013 04:41 AMPosted by Awesomeoman
could I send my host file to another person or does it have personal information on it?

It shouldn't have any personal information in it unless you've added it. But the file is different for different operating systems, so if you send yours to someone else make sure they're running the same version of Windows etc. If you take a look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034 you can see what the file should look like if it hasn't been modified.

Thanks to all that responded to this thread with possible ways to fix this issue.

The post from "Nobody" on page 5 did the trick for me, great steps easy to follow appreciate it!

Glad to hear it helped!
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]