"When should I move out???" --Void Rays

if you dont have time to watch the vids, then you dont have time to improve frankly. that is the most efficient way to learn WoL terran. so please stop wasting our time, sorry.
Reply Quote
01/23/2013 09:56 PMPosted by VanSCStaR
i live in vancouver so PST for me too just so if anyone wanted to know :DD

Me too eh. :)
Reply Quote
In terms of when to move out it is very conditional:

1 base Protoss is strong from 6:15 (4-gate and similar) until about 10 min (DTs, immortal pushes, one base colossus, blink-stalkers, etc) and, in general, a one-base terran should beat a one base protoss. 2 base protoss is strong starting at about 14 min into the game... about the time that storm or the 3rd colossus finishes, so as long as you make a strong aggressive play before that point you should be able to clean up.

I scout, initially, at 13 on 4 player maps and 14 on two player maps. I'm looking for whether or not they've taken gas, how much energy (chrono) is on the nexus, and how many pylons are in the base:
- One gas, lots of energy, and 2 (not three) pylons in the base indicates a 4-gate.
-One gas, low chrono, and three pylons is an expand build.
-2 gas, 2 pylons, and lots of chrono points to DTs (or, possibly blink-stalkers).
-2 gas, 2 or 3 pylons, and low chrono points toward Void rays -not at all scary- (2 pylons being the proxy variation) or one base robo-play (Immortal bust is very scary).
-and, of course nothing in the base is the ever popular proxy play, both cannons and zealots are possible, but if there is a forge in the base then it is cannons.

You need to keep your scouting SCV alive so you can look at the natural at 5:30 (the stalker should be clear of the base by then) and, if possible, get into the main and see how much gas they've taken and what tech structures they have... often you can save yourself from making the 6 min scan. If you don't see an expansion you need to build additional bunkers and pack your natural with more SCVs to repair your bunkers (be sure to add them to a hotkey so you get enough, don't be stingy, the protoss is all-in and you can lose 20+ SCVs before falling behind in economy). The number of bunkers you need depends on scouting, you can hold a 4 gate with 2-3 bunkers (depending on sentry usage), but need 5 or more to hold an immortal-bust. You can hold DTs with a bunker and turret near each mineral line. Blink-Stalker all-in (imo the least scary all-in) can be held with a few marauders and a bunker at each mineral line.

Protoss is vulnerable to 2 prong attacks, so it often pays to make a small drop in the back and then push the front or make a small push at the front and a big drop in the back. You scan at 9 min and if you see a Robo bay and a templar archives just kill them when stim finishes and medivacs pop (I time them to sync up), since they are sacrificing army for tech and they are a ways from having anything.
You don't need vikings to engage a protoss with less than three colossus, just spread your army in such a way that the colossus can't use splash in an advantageous way. Halby has a video on how to do this.

I think that 3 Hellions is one of the best things you can drop in a protoss base: protoss often will pull too much back to deal with them, they will often pull workers to the natural, and will also frequently FF the ramp to keep the hellions from escaping, giving you a nearly free expansion. If you do kill most of the workers, be sure you can hold all of the protoss army though, since they are all-in at that point.
Edited by BrockLanders on 1/24/2013 9:52 AM PST
Reply Quote
If you do this and still find that you are losing to all-ins then look for MrLlama's videos on youtube, they are called Winning with Ease (I think) and are a series of tutorial on how to hold common all-in plays with low APM (he plays at about 50, same as me).
Reply Quote
I dont get why he doesnt like Filtersc, With his build its possible to get 200 Supply at 12 minutes ( Lol, I get about 130 Supply at 12 minutes in, But it is possible, Its hard as !@#$ tho. )
Reply Quote
01/24/2013 12:43 AMPosted by urNumb
i live in vancouver so PST for me too just so if anyone wanted to know :DD

raelly? where in vancouver?
Reply Quote
01/24/2013 05:52 PMPosted by VanSCStaR

raelly? where in vancouver?

I used to live on Vancouver Island :D
Reply Quote
Thank you all for pitching in!

I just did a TvP and it went great!!! 20 MM and 2 medivacs coming at your door with shields, stim, and concussive is SCARY!

Also, I had 47 SCVs!
Reply Quote
Thank you all for pitching in!

I just did a TvP and it went great!!! 20 MM and 2 medivacs coming at your door with shields, stim, and concussive is SCARY!

Also, I had 47 SCVs!

nice :D Now you just have to make sure to hit more of your army cycles :D Also +1 :D

Did it feel good? lol

Congratz, keep going at it, you can keep refining that for most of your TvP career as long as you keep at it.

SILVER COMING UP BABY!!!

What's that? The price of gold just went up? PROBABLY CAUSE DITAO IS IN IT NOW !@#$%ES!!!!

Sorry bout that, thought we should celebrate. I have half a bottle left here if you want to pour yourself some :) I would but my hands are shaking...
Reply Quote
01/26/2013 10:34 PMPosted by fingrknitter
nice :D Now you just have to make sure to hit more of your army cycles :D Also +1 :D

Do have to work on Army, but I DID have +1 :D

01/26/2013 10:34 PMPosted by fingrknitter
SILVER COMING UP BABY!!!

Silver MMR already achieved! Now if they just actually rewarded me...

What's that? The price of gold just went up? PROBABLY CAUSE DITAO IS IN IT NOW !@#$%ES!!!!

Sorry bout that, thought we should celebrate. I have half a bottle left here if you want to pour yourself some :) I would but my hands are shaking...

Here, let me get it for you *pours bottle*
Reply Quote
01/26/2013 10:50 PMPosted by ditao

Well...ok...if you insist...I wouldn't want to be rude...
Reply Quote
01/26/2013 11:01 PMPosted by fingrknitter

Well...ok...if you insist...I wouldn't want to be rude...

*Down my throat*

aah... feels good :P
Reply Quote
!@#$ YEAH!!! MMR FINALLY DECIDED TO PROMOTE ME!!1

GOLD! HERE I COME!
Reply Quote
!@#$ YEAH!!! MMR FINALLY DECIDED TO PROMOTE ME!!1

GOLD! HERE I COME!

Congrats :)
Reply Quote
LOL, just played a game VS DT rush into Void Ray rush.. LOL!

Win
Reply Quote

Win

If you play marauder heavy, the only thing you have to watch out for is proxy voidrays (cause, marauders don't shoot up der xD)

Super fast carriers or late voidrays should not be a problem though because of the reactor starport though
Reply Quote

Win

If you play marauder heavy, the only thing you have to watch out for is proxy voidrays (cause, marauders don't shoot up der xD)

Super fast carriers or late voidrays should not be a problem though because of the reactor starport though

No.. they shouldn't.

Plus, we have THORS!

I find Thors are very effective against Zerg.

Just saying.
Reply Quote
01/24/2013 09:55 AMPosted by BrockLanders
If you do this and still find that you are losing to all-ins then look for MrLlama's videos on youtube, they are called Winning with Ease (I think) and are a series of tutorial on how to hold common all-in plays with low APM (he plays at about 50, same as me).

yo i think i played you recently
Reply Quote
01/27/2013 08:03 PMPosted by raiderryan

yo i think i played you recently
'

... ok... this was supposed to be a "HELP ME" Thread not a, HEY, I PWN YOU thread
Reply Quote

No.. they shouldn't.

Plus, we have THORS!

I find Thors are very effective against Zerg.

Just saying.

Proxy voidrays will appear before thors do, that's why the reactor starport is only helpful if he made the starport in his own base or is pushing for some weird fast carrier.

I was talking about TvP lol
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]