StarCraft® II

What zerg really need

A unit that can go rambo, or as a special forces type.

banshee, works great solo.
dt, works great solo.
voidray, can solo, hit and run and make opponent overcommitt in defense.

infestor. solo, is completely useless.
muta, solo, is completely useless.
Reply Quote
well, obviously, you need...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBxcq9qjAu8
Reply Quote
01/23/2013 04:29 PMPosted by Concretefist

IT good unit.
Reply Quote
I agree. The broodlord arguably falls into the category as a good "solo" unit especially if you can position it over dead space. However, broodlords are not available anywhere close to DT's or Banshees. So broodlords are not the Rambo that you are looking for.

It seems you need to COMBINE two units that can make a unit with a Rambo hit and run type attack. I think I know just what you are looking for too. Try using overlords with the speed and transport upgrades to transport banelings.

This can devastate mineral lines just as much as a DT, banshee or a void ray. Also, it take out sentries, hellions or even a group of marines that are moving across the map. An overlook dropping banelings might as well be a single unit that can do major damage and then fly away.
Reply Quote
01/23/2013 04:46 PMPosted by Linkebungu

IT good unit.

Not anymore
Reply Quote
SOLO ULTRAS
Reply Quote
Zerg are a "swarm" and "strength in numbers" type of race, so you'd expect there to be more numbers
Reply Quote
01/23/2013 07:33 PMPosted by XSliceNDiceX
Zerg are a "swarm" and "strength in numbers" type of race, so you'd expect there to be more numbers

You would expect that but the opposite is true unfortunately.

Zerg needs a unit that costs 1 supply. *cough* Hydras.
Zerg needs a unit that gives them map control... like the Lurker.
The Swarm Host does NOT give map control and it is NOT an artiller unit, despite Blizzard claiming it is.
Zerg also needs some sort of defensive spell like Dark Swarm to defend against air.
Reply Quote
01/23/2013 05:13 PMPosted by Hunta

IT good unit.

Not anymore

Yes it is.

Zerg needs a unit that costs 1 supply. *cough* Hydras.
Zerg needs a unit that gives them map control... like the Lurker.

They have two units that costs half supply (ling and baneling).
They have two units that give them map control (ling and mutalisk).

If you want to play BW, go play BW.
Reply Quote
01/23/2013 04:29 PMPosted by Concretefist

2 full energy infestors can chain fungal an entire mineral line very quickly. IT's are still very good for harass as well.

Not sure what you are talking about.
Edited by TechNo on 1/23/2013 9:42 PM PST
Reply Quote

Seriously?
In Brood War, Zerg had lings and scouges that cost only half a supply. They ALSO had Hydras that only cost one supply. It's pathetic that the Zerg army in Sc2 is smaller because of high supply costs, needing to be one base ahead, and needing Queens that cost 2 supply each. And no, I don't want to "go play BW" even though it is more fun than Sc2 right now because of design flaws. I want Sc2 to be a better game, that's why I'm posting on Sc2 message board. I hope that clears things up.
Reply Quote
Well you just wanna A attack all the way, I suggest you pick different race.
Reply Quote
IT? really? 1 infestor with upgrade + travel time pops 4 IT's. how much damage is 4 IT? 2 festors pop 8. really? 8 marines at 8 min is going to hurt who?

after reading some replies, i forgot to mention that the condition is to be able to hit your opponent around 7 min. at latest 8 min.

even fast expo can pull a banshee at 8 min. or 2-3 DT at 8 min off of FFE.

the other condition is that it needs to hinders counterattack. banshee vs zerg even if not at base prevents early zerg army from moving out or even expand to 3rd. DT is similar, but DT can be transitioned into archons for later which with 2 weapon upgrade 1 shot 3-5 lings, and shuts down early zerg air. voidray is even better at map control than DT.

baneling drop so far is the most damaging tactic, but it does not scare toss or terran. they can easily counterattack because you just invested so much on banes, OL speed, and OL transport. and suicided them all.
Reply Quote
2 full energy infestors can chain fungal an entire mineral line very quickly. IT's are still very good for harass as well.

and how are you getting infestors into the mineral line? and this is early game mind you. banshee, voidray, dt harass is no longer a harass after 8 minutes.
Reply Quote

Seriously?
In Brood War, Zerg had lings and scouges that cost only half a supply. They ALSO had Hydras that only cost one supply. It's pathetic that the Zerg army in Sc2 is smaller because of high supply costs, needing to be one base ahead, and needing Queens that cost 2 supply each. And no, I don't want to "go play BW" even though it is more fun than Sc2 right now because of design flaws. I want Sc2 to be a better game, that's why I'm posting on Sc2 message board. I hope that clears things up.

Its hard to compare to BW because BW also had 12 unit (it was 12 right?) control groups. It was much harder to manage your army. Army management is infinitely easier so it inevitably changes how Blizzard parses out unit supply.

I personally don't have a problem with how they choose to do Zerg. Though it would be nicer, and sounds more like it is fixed in HotS, if there was a more compelling to choice to use other units then just the infestor for the midgame.
Reply Quote
01/24/2013 01:25 PMPosted by Concretefist
and how are you getting infestors into the mineral line?

Burrowing or dropping them in.

and this is early game mind you

I didn't realize harassment only occurred in the early game?

banshee, voidray, dt harass is no longer a harass after 8 minutes.

What the hell does this even mean?
Reply Quote
I think that thay need like you said a good solo unit and a strong air unit. Wen I get late game with Zerg the terran have battlecrusers the toss have the mothership what do the Zerg have nothing the air units are week even if you upgrade them I think a good air unit would help alot.
Reply Quote

and how are you getting infestors into the mineral line? and this is early game mind you. banshee, voidray, dt harass is no longer a harass after 8 minutes.

-He responded to you saying that infestors alone are useless. This have nothing to do with the stage of the game.

-There is a difference between a rush and a harass...
Reply Quote
Seriously?

These are two different games, there's no point comparing SC2 to BW. 1 supply hydras doesn't matter in SC2, 2 supply queens don't matter. I can understand you wanting SC2 to be as good as possible, but I feel like the game you really want it to be is BW, which Blizzard has said they don't want SC2 to be.

IT? really? 1 infestor with upgrade + travel time pops 4 IT's. how much damage is 4 IT? 2 festors pop 8. really? 8 marines at 8 min is going to hurt who?

after reading some replies, i forgot to mention that the condition is to be able to hit your opponent around 7 min. at latest 8 min.

even fast expo can pull a banshee at 8 min. or 2-3 DT at 8 min off of FFE.

the other condition is that it needs to hinders counterattack. banshee vs zerg even if not at base prevents early zerg army from moving out or even expand to 3rd. DT is similar, but DT can be transitioned into archons for later which with 2 weapon upgrade 1 shot 3-5 lings, and shuts down early zerg air. voidray is even better at map control than DT.

baneling drop so far is the most damaging tactic, but it does not scare toss or terran. they can easily counterattack because you just invested so much on banes, OL speed, and OL transport. and suicided them all.

It looks like you just want a unit that can give you quick, easy wins against unprepared opponents. You're confusing harassing with rushing. Harass occurs throughout the game. Hell, DT harass happens almost exclusively in the late game. DTs before 8 minutes aren't harass.

There's no problem with waiting a little for your infestors to get 200 energy, 16 IT can take down a base if left unchecked, or force a good amount of your opponent's army out of position, giving you the opportunity to attack when their army is split.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]