StarCraft® II

Question on Custom/UMS maps

Ok so I uninstalled SC2 around a month after it was released because of how UMS map list/lobbies worked. I was thinking of reinstalling it but I don't really want to waste time and bandwidth if things haven't changed so:

1) Are UMS map lists still using that horrible popularity system? If so is there anyway to make it sort by when the lobby was created instead?

2) Do games still auto start as soon as the lobby fills up?
Reply Quote
1) They added an Open Games listing at last (it must be added that it took two years after release for this, so uninstalling the game was perfectly justifiable), so you at least have a chance of getting some games started. It allows for category sorting, which is helpful (it allows me to filter out all the tower defense lobbies, for instance, so I can focus on the strategy category, like Helm's Deep, Heaven Besieged, and so on), but it sorts by placing the newest lobbies at the top. This means that if you don't have a full lobby after about five to ten minutes, party up with whoever came and remake the lobby.
2) Yes, they still do. This is annoying, but it's not the end of the world. If you don't want an automatic start (which is a partial counterbalance to a host who simply isn't there), then make a private lobby (Blizzard made a stupid mistake here, however, by removing the Open to Public button, so don't do this unless you have some friends to play with you).

Also, there are a few gems in the custom maps. The Spotlight (or at least the Featured section of it) has some promising games, such as Tower Defense Tycoon (which has an actual story in a genre known for lacking it).
Edited by Palamani on 1/24/2013 6:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
You can find some more answers there : http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/7708260765
Reply Quote
It really makes you wonder what was going on in Blizzard's head when they stuck us with that pop system for two years. And there are still so many clear flaws. Oh well, they're making it better and at this rate we might have a decent system in a few years.
Reply Quote
01/24/2013 06:48 PMPosted by Cherry
Oh well, they're making it better and at this rate we might have a decent system in a few years.

Problem is that those "few years" are very likely to not matter at all if almost every custom mapmakers and players (short of those that always enjoy the same popularity maps) give up on SC2 by then.

Hence why I personally insisted so much that solid fixes should be for HotS or shortly after HotS.
Edited by Honejasi on 1/25/2013 7:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/25/2013 06:16 AMPosted by Honejasi
Hence why I personally insisted so much that solid fixes should be for HotS or shortly after HotS.

Keep dreaming.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]