StarCraft® II

So the 4-gate to diamond thing

01/24/2013 02:16 PMPosted by EasyAI
what about 10 gate partial gas variations that start warp-ins around 5:15? are those worse than the 12 gate version?

Good question, didn't really try that.
Reply Quote
01/24/2013 02:18 PMPosted by BlackAdder
what about 10 gate partial gas variations that start warp-ins around 5:15? are those worse than the 12 gate version?

Yes they are worse. The build is referred to as the korean 4-gate. It is pure zealot warpins and thanks the warpgate nerf you can kill all the pylons or simply kite with stalkers and it is extremely easy to scout.

There's also a variation that does this while still getting gas, but if you prevent a pylon from going down you win.
Reply Quote
01/24/2013 02:24 PMPosted by wraithcube

Yes they are worse. The build is referred to as the korean 4-gate. It is pure zealot warpins and thanks the warpgate nerf you can kill all the pylons or simply kite with stalkers and it is extremely easy to scout.

There's also a variation that does this while still getting gas, but if you prevent a pylon from going down you win.

i was just messing around and did a version with 2 probes on gas where you can get a 3 stalker, 1 zealot warp-in + your initial zeal/stalker at 5:15, and you have enough cash for 2 pylons at their ramp. 2nd warp-in is iffy though, might only be 3 units at first
Reply Quote
For those in the thread asking, this is what a high Platinum 4-gate looks like:
http://drop.sc/298715

(I screwed up on my pylon timing, which is why I did a 10-gate version).
Reply Quote
i can 4gate, and destroy any bronze player without trying. same goes with silver, gold, and most plats. All you need for this to work is a decent 4gate, and good micro :D
Reply Quote
I just got 4gated in HotS silver league, first time I've seen it in the expansion.

Turns out, that nexus cannon is pretty good
Reply Quote
Pretty sure I made a post when I 4Gate'd an account from Bronze to Masters in a day back in S5 or 6. Good times, LOL.
Reply Quote
I'm pretty sure someone 6-pooled to Grandmasters league, and I'd think a proxy rax marine scv all-in is stronger than 4-gate. Protoss has the weakest early game all-ins in the game in my opinion.
Reply Quote
Are Warp Prism 4 gates any good/viable?
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 09:34 AMPosted by Qendal

Against terran and protoss yes. No so great against zerg.
Reply Quote
Posted by Qendal

Against terran and protoss yes. No so great against zerg.

If someone asked that out of context, I would assume 4 gates+ robo off of an FFE, with a fast 4 gate harass and expand. I think that is reasonably good against Zerg.
Reply Quote
this is a grandmaster 4gate, aslong as you have good mechanics you can 4gate...i only do it in pvp though http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVI1NEEfX7s&list=LLolcabWdnsaFeSPtkLe1N-A

I'll check it out. I've stopped 4-gating T/Z, but I find, ironically, that my worst performances were 4-gate versus 4 gate because I tried to defend and attack at the same time, and that never worked out. My thoughts are you need to either warp-in 6 units offensively and base trade or else don't push at all, but I don't have a good transition out of a 4-gate if neither party attacks: 1 base Collossi or something?
Reply Quote
PvP is a nightmare when your opponent does a properly done 4-Gate. It requires perfection to stop and even a 2-Gate->Robo->3-Gate makes it incredibly challenging to deal with. If your opponent is good, then he can expand behind it when he notices he might not win that fight, flee with his horde of Stalkers, because a 4-Gate will still do quite a bit of damage when done right. It allows the defender to have a small window to strike back and hard if they know what composition to get, but only if they aren't badly damaged economically. Even after that, it becomes a macro race to Colossus Wars. I still love it when they do that and I go Stalker/Immortal.

Does anyone know if there's any decent way to use DTs as a counter to 4-Gate?
Edited by Jasiwel on 1/29/2013 3:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 03:57 PMPosted by Jasiwel

You do a safe dt expand build. That means you get sentries to forcefield your ramp until dts finish at around 7:10 I believe. 4 sentries can keep a ramp force fielded forever. Then you send dts into their base and they won't have any detection so you kill everything and win while their army stares uselessly at a forcefield on a ramp.

Also a failed 4-gate is a loss at higher levels because the other player is ahead in economy and tech. If somebody 4-gates you and then tries to contain you in your main while they expand just do a 1-base colossus push as the 4-gating player won't have enough to hold the all-in.

Edit: I can't believe somebody linked a combatex video. lol. Also that youtube video was done back in august 2011 before the 4-gate nerfs. While the build order is the same certain things are off liking waiting additional time for a 2nd warpin to move up will just plain lose.
Edited by wraithcube on 1/29/2013 4:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 03:57 PMPosted by Jasiwel

Heck yeah. You go 1G->TC->Gate->DT shrine, build zealot,sentry,zealot sentry and get a pylon somewhere. FF out the 4 gate until you get DTs, win.
I've done that multiple time and I saw Sidewinder give a response for that, works great if you hit your FFs.
Reply Quote
I just started on the US server here.
and I decided to try this ... 4 gated in all my placements, and got gold league for now.

I do wonder, can 4 gate really work til diamond?
Reply Quote
*GSL Code A Spoiler*

and I decided to try this ... 4 gated in all my placements, and got gold league for now.

http://www.twitch.tv/gomtv
http://www.gomtv.net/live/index.gom?conid=71852&set=1
http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/2013_Global_StarCraft_II_League_Season_1/Code_A

GSL Code A is going on right now. You just missed it. Liquid'Hero vs Startale Avenge BO3

Game 2 is a liquid'Hero 4-gate vs dt build. avenge barely misses on a forcefield and it gives just enough room for a probe to sneak by. Hero builds 5 pylons in avenge's base to make sure one finishes. Wins the game with the 4-gate.

So yes, it works even at the highest levels of pro play. The winner of that match faces bomber for a code s spot which is pretty much the top of starcraft 2 play.

Granted had avenge not missed the forcefield, he gets a 2nd sentry, forcefields the ramp until dts. Then he just kills hero because hero has no detection. So while it works even at the top of pro play, it can still be defended by a player if they manage to not make mistakes for the first 6 minutes.
Edited by wraithcube on 2/12/2013 8:41 PM PST
Reply Quote

Well I've been #1 or #2 in my division in Platinum for the past 3 weeks or so doing 4-gate in all my PvPs (except rematches), immortal/sentry or immortal/expand in PvZs, and double-forge immortal/zealot/sentry in PvT. I just want the simplest, most repeatable builds I can refine to see if I can get into Diamond. But unfortunately, I'm going to be unable to play for a good week or two, so hitting Diamond by HotS is still looking pretty dicey.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]