StarCraft® II

Only 20 missions?

Seems like a real letdown considering I'm only interested in buying this to see where the story is going. Are graphics really that burdening on a game to where everything has to be shorter to compensate for them? Didn't Wc3Roc/TFT have like 50 missions for each game? Hell WoL had 29 missions, seemed more worth it. I thought dividing Sc2 into 3 releases was so each race had a full campaign?

I imagine only half the missions will be Zerg Main Storyline related while the rest will be side missions and probably Zeratul-type missions. Why was it cut down so much?
Reply Quote
While I too was a bit disappointed seeing only 20 missions, I think the important component to remember is that these missions will likely be on a grander scale. The beginning few missions in WoL served as a bit of a tutorial and didn't have a whole lot of substance. My hope is that the 20 missions is about equal length in playtime as WoL, including the cut scenes and dialog in between.
Reply Quote
They have said that there are no optional missions this time around. While you will be able to choose what order you do some of the missions in, you will eventually have to beat all 20 to beat the campaign.

Also of note, in addition to the 20 story missions, there will also be "mini-missions" you play whenever you evolve one of your units into a new strain (such as zerglings evolving into either raptorlings or swarmlings). Each zerg unit will have two such missions, and the one you play will depend on the choice you made. These missions entail traveling to a planet, assimilating a local lifeform with the desired trait (for example, a leaping animal for raptorlings, a tribble for swarmlings) into the Abathur's index, and then a small challenge to teach you how to most effectively use the new strain you've chosen.

These missions are much shorter than the story missions, but since there are 11 zerg units (not counting larva, drones, overlords/overseers, queens, nydus worms, or any retro units they decide to bring back), we know there will be at least 22 such "mini-missions", potentially many more.
Reply Quote
They have said that there are no optional missions this time around. While you will be able to choose what order you do some of the missions in, you will eventually have to beat all 20 to beat the campaign.

Also of note, in addition to the 20 story missions, there will also be "mini-missions" you play whenever you evolve one of your units into a new strain (such as zerglings evolving into either raptorlings or swarmlings). Each zerg unit will have two such missions, and the one you play will depend on the choice you made. These missions entail traveling to a planet, assimilating a local lifeform with the desired trait (for example, a leaping animal for raptorlings, a tribble for swarmlings) into the Abathur's index, and then a small challenge to teach you how to most effectively use the new strain you've chosen.

These missions are much shorter than the story missions, but since there are 11 zerg units (not counting larva, drones, overlords/overseers, queens, nydus worms, or any retro units they decide to bring back), we know there will be at least 22 such "mini-missions", potentially many more.
I suppose that makes it a little better to know they're putting most of the effort towards the story.. though optional missions were one of the cooler parts of the WoL campaign, such as choosing whether to get firebats or another type of unit (don't remember what the other option was)
Reply Quote
01/22/2013 09:30 PMPosted by McSantos

Sorry to disappoint you, but Dustin Browder said only 8 units will evolve during the campaing, so, 16 "mini-missions".
Reply Quote
Really? If true, that is a little disappointing.

Data miners have found evolutions for at least 13 units in the map files (including nydus worms), so if only 8 units evolve, that means a lot of content was cut from the final release.
Reply Quote
What I want to know is whether these 20 missions include the secret mission, or if the count will actually be 21. I hope it's the latter.
Reply Quote
01/23/2013 11:45 AMPosted by Xcalibur
What I want to know is whether these 20 missions include the secret mission, or if the count will actually be 21. I hope it's the latter.

There's also the matter of mission length. I mean obviously there'd be short missions. For example the 1st WoL you can do in like 3 min, but if they drag the missions out longer, I guess it can somewhat compensate...
Reply Quote
Really? If true, that is a little disappointing.

Data miners have found evolutions for at least 13 units in the map files (including nydus worms), so if only 8 units evolve, that means a lot of content was cut from the final release.

Sorry, i was wrong, I confused these evolving missions with the zergs strains! Sorry.

Look:

In the last BlizzCon, we experienced some of the campaign missions where you aimed to assimilate new species to enhance the DNA of the Swarm. These missions are all like "kill the animals of the ice to make the swarm immune to cold" or are there different missions with different objectives in which you can inadvertently find other creatures and assimilates them?

DB: They are called Evolving Missions, and are about 7 or 8 of this type. The idea is, these specific tasks, show how the swarm enhances its DNA, assimilating other creatures, throwing the Swarm in situations and hazardous environments, to show the player how this whole process works.
Reply Quote
Sorry, i was wrong, I confused these evolving missions with the zergs strains! Sorry.

Look:

In the last BlizzCon, we experienced some of the campaign missions where you aimed to assimilate new species to enhance the DNA of the Swarm. These missions are all like "kill the animals of the ice to make the swarm immune to cold" or are there different missions with different objectives in which you can inadvertently find other creatures and assimilates them?

DB: They are called Evolving Missions, and are about 7 or 8 of this type. The idea is, these specific tasks, show how the swarm enhances its DNA, assimilating other creatures, throwing the Swarm in situations and hazardous environments, to show the player how this whole process works.

LOL! That's cool. I probably would have made the same mistake.

Given the Zerg's MO, it's no surprise that there will be missions involving the assimilation of other species in the main story as well as the ones for specific unit upgrades.
Edited by McSantos on 1/23/2013 4:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
Game is only worth 20 dollars at most. Games like evolve and bunker war were more fun to play in the original starcraft anyways...
Reply Quote
01/24/2013 06:30 AMPosted by Garrett
Game is only worth 20 dollars at most. Games like evolve and bunker war were more fun to play in the original starcraft anyways...

Hell no. If there was only like 5 missions, THEN maybe you can argue that.
Reply Quote
Yeah... 20 missions is reallllyyy weak, shortest campaign out of all of blizzard's RTS games.

Reason apparantly is that "people complained the campaign was too long".. lol, probably blizzard's higher-ups who wanted to spend less money on their workers.
Reply Quote
I hope they bring out some multiplayer missions/scenarios instead of just the standard pvp multiplayer. Extra missions/campaigns would be great too.

I don't really get much into the esports side of SC2, I think DOTA is a much much better platform for that type of thing.
Reply Quote
There are key differences in the way that the missions will function. In Wings it was more about get in and get out asap with Artifacts e.g. Smash and Grab you are literally racing against the Zerg so there is no way to take this slowly unless you do not play on Hard or Brutal. I would expect with the Zerg campaign it will have a much different mission type which will be more along the lines of destroy and infest everything and take as long as you like. But there will be more to do thus making the missions much longer in length with more things to do. e.g. DNA, Infesting, Killing, Mini Evolution Missions. I feel like the play through time will be similar or longer if you play it on Brutal and complete all the objectives because it is more about obliterate and assimilate rather than Hit/Steal and Run.

20 Missions and 22 mini missions considering the 20 Missions should be full length and the mini ones will take 2-10 minutes probably will actually make for a surprisingly large amount of content when the game actually releases.
Reply Quote
01/22/2013 08:18 PMPosted by Marlfox
Didn't Wc3Roc/TFT have like 50 missions for each game?

Haha, no. Not even close. RoC and TFT together have a grand total of 62 missions - and that includes the 5 mini missions from RoC and the custom campaign from TFT (without those, both games together tally up only 54 missions). If we add up the 29 missions from Wol, and assume both HotS and LotV will each have 20, we end up with 69 missions at least in the lifetime of Starcraft 2. ignoring the missions in WC3 that were not in the main campaigns, Starcraft beats it by 15 missions (with them, Sc2 still wins by 7). All this, and we aren't even counting the evolutionary missions in HotS, or a possible similar feature in LotV.
Reply Quote
01/25/2013 06:59 AMPosted by Hydra
Didn't Wc3Roc/TFT have like 50 missions for each game?

Haha, no. Not even close. RoC and TFT together have a grand total of 62 missions - and that includes the 5 mini missions from RoC and the custom campaign from TFT (without those, both games together tally up only 54 missions). If we add up the 29 missions from Wol, and assume both HotS and LotV will each have 20, we end up with 69 missions at least in the lifetime of Starcraft 2. ignoring the missions in WC3 that were not in the main campaigns, Starcraft beats it by 15 missions (with them, Sc2 still wins by 7). All this, and we aren't even counting the evolutionary missions in HotS, or a possible similar feature in LotV.

It's not REALLY 20 missions if you think about it.

Because from the trailers, every mission technically only has 1 objective: "Kill, Kill, Kill".

That means there's no real story in Heart of the Swarm, it's just a bunch of killing and that's it.
Reply Quote
Well Diablo 3 bought this xpac for me.. so I'm greatful for anything blizzard adds to the story! I can't wait.
Reply Quote
It's not REALLY 20 missions if you think about it.

Because from the trailers, every mission technically only has 1 objective: "Kill, Kill, Kill".

That means there's no real story in Heart of the Swarm, it's just a bunch of killing and that's it.

The game is not yet released; you have no grounds to support your plot hypothesis besides what we saw in the trailers. you can't form an unobjectionable denouncement on Swarm's story with that as your basis. The reason I purposed 20 missions for LotV, despite its lack of release, is that Blizzard notified players that each expansion should be about the same number of missions in length.

And besides, whether or not each mission is "Kill, Kill, Kill", that does not change the fact that missions are missions, even if similar or identical in design.
Reply Quote
for LotV, it needs to be more than 20 missions. If people say the HotS campaign is still too long, there's something seriously wrong...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]