StarCraft® II

Only 20 missions?

It's not REALLY 20 missions if you think about it.

Because from the trailers, every mission technically only has 1 objective: "Kill, Kill, Kill".

That means there's no real story in Heart of the Swarm, it's just a bunch of killing and that's it.

This read as if you are bias against Zerg in general, not really any serious commentary on the story. There is more to the Zerg than mindless killing. Read a book.
Reply Quote

It's not REALLY 20 missions if you think about it.

Because from the trailers, every mission technically only has 1 objective: "Kill, Kill, Kill".

That means there's no real story in Heart of the Swarm, it's just a bunch of killing and that's it.

This read as if you are bias against Zerg in general, not really any serious commentary on the story. There is more to the Zerg than mindless killing. Read a book.

Oh I have, but as Blizzard said, even the campaign is about the gameplay. Besides, HotS is the first time where we finally get to see how the swarm functions, none of the SC books talk about that...
Reply Quote
Keep in mind that the four missions we've seen so far have been tailored to the strengths of the units introduced in those misson.

The first mission, "War for the Brood", introduces zerglings and, at the end, banelings. You must race Zagara for control of the baneling eggs, then use the baneling to destroy Zagara's army of zerglings. The race aspect illustrates the zergling's speed, while the baneling part shows their effectiveness against lightly armored units.

The second mission, "Harvest of Screams", introduces the roach. In this mission, you must assimilate space yetis to gain their immunity to extreme cold. The roaches' ability to burrow and heal will be useful against the powerful space yetis, who are fortunately not detectors.

The third mission, "Shoot the Messenger", introduces hydralisks. Since they are the first ranged unit you acquire, this mission focuses on targeting aerial units, specifically Protoss recon ships.

The fourth mission, "Enemy Within", introduces queens. This is an infiltration mission where you must use a single queen's special abilities to take control of a Protoss ship.

If it seems like these missions are all about killing, it's probably because they're built around very aggressive units. Later missions that introduce more passive supporting Zerg strains could potentially be different.
Edited by McSantos on 1/25/2013 11:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
20 mission is regardless about double the amount of what we from a single episode, although its just about 10 mission short of being the full 30 of being the original game or BW. Yet we got more cinematics, storymode features, advancements with battle.net in general, multiplayer AI training and the modding community. We're more spoiled fans than deprived ones. Plus, Blizzard's coming soon MOBA title Blizzard All-Stars, a FTP game at that, is still on the horizons if you consider that one as a late bonus deal of the HotS package.

Sure the packaging is differences and there the matters of cost but eventually the entire StarCraft II trilogy as a whole would (or should) have over twice as much what SC and BW had together originally. And maybe more if it should be a thing again nowadays, Blizzard does a few mini downloadable campaigns like Enslavers.
Reply Quote
Keep in mind that the four missions we've seen so far have been tailored to the strengths of the unites introduced in those misson.

The first mission, "War for the Brood", introduces zerglings and, at the end, banelings. You must race Zagara for control of the baneling eggs, then use the baneling to destroy Zagara's army of zerglings. The race aspect illustrates the zergling's speed, while the baneling part shows their effectiveness against lightly armored units.

The second mission, "Harvest of Screams", introduces the roach. In this mission, you must assimilate space yetis to gain their immunity to extreme cold. The roaches' ability to burrow and heal will be useful against the powerful space yetis, who are fortunately not detectors.

The third mission, "Shoot the Messenger", introduces hydralisks. Since they are the first ranged unit you acquire, this mission focuses on targeting aerial units, specifically Protoss recon ships.

The fourth mission, "Enemy Within", introduces queens. This is an infiltration mission where you must use a single queen's special abilities to take control of a Protoss ship.

If it seems like these missions are all about killing, it's probably because they're built around very aggressive units. Later missions that introduce more passive supporting Zerg strains could potentially be different.

I'm curious about if there would be another faction's mini campaign. If yes, it might be Protoss again, and that would stress the importance of LotV later on.

Problem is, we don't know what role Zeratul plays in the game. We don't even have a single screenshot of the guy in HotS at all...
Reply Quote
I'm curious about if there would be another faction's mini campaign. If yes, it might be Protoss again, and that would stress the importance of LotV later on.

Problem is, we don't know what role Zeratul plays in the game. We don't even have a single screenshot of the guy in HotS at all...

I don't know about a full on mini-campaign, but I bet there will at least be opportunities during certain missions to use other races' units, like how some dark templar joined you in the battlecruiser mission, and or the hive mind emulator let you steal zerg units.

As for Zeratul, data miners found some very spoilery plot details that I probably shouldn't post here. But let's just say that, if he does show up, it will probably be in the second half of the game.
Reply Quote
i dont know what data miners are, but if you do infact know about the campaign, please dont spoil it for people who dont want it to be spoiled, thank you
Reply Quote

I don't know about a full on mini-campaign, but I bet there will at least be opportunities during certain missions to use other races' units, like how some dark templar joined you in the battlecruiser mission, and or the hive mind emulator let you steal zerg units.

As for Zeratul, data miners found some very spoilery plot details that I probably shouldn't post here. But let's just say that, if he does show up, it will probably be in the second half of the game.

Well that's nothing surprising. Zeratul didn't show up in WoL until you were almost halfway done with the game anyway...
Reply Quote
I'm just worried about plot development, 20 missions seems short to squeeze in kerrigan's "re-infestation", and tie in the LotV storyline.
Reply Quote
01/27/2013 12:28 AMPosted by AdjutantXIII
I'm just worried about plot development, 20 missions seems short to squeeze in kerrigan's "re-infestation", and tie in the LotV storyline.

Supposedly, this campaign will have more opportunities for between-mission conversations than WoL (where each character had one and only one thing to say between each mission). Hopefully that will help the pacing feel more natural, for those who care about story.
Reply Quote
01/27/2013 12:28 AMPosted by AdjutantXIII

I'm willing to bet the reinfestation can be done in like 3 to 4 missions
Reply Quote
I have a hard time believing anyone actually complained about the campaign being too long. Who would ever complain about getting more game for their money? Just seems silly.

I personally miss having three campaigns rolled into the one game. Since that was the direction they had going for all of the previous Starcraft and Warcraft games that came before if anything I felt like Starcraft 2 only initially delivered 1/3 of a game despite it having as many missions as it had.
Reply Quote
Personally I think people whined the WoL campaign was too long because they just wanted to get it over with and on to multiplayer.
Reply Quote
Blizzard said that WoL was too long and are cutting HotS campaign length.

12 hours being too long for a campaign is complete poppycock and nonsense. Nobody in their right mind thinks that is enough content for the price. But people gave Blizzard a pass on it because of their multiplayer balancing for a whole new game may have distracted them from fully developing a single player campaign.

And along comes HotS,....where they give you a couple new units in multiplayer and a shorter campaign which will last only 10 hours.

Only the most rabid of fanboys can defend this position. The most common argument fanboys use is "29 missions for $60 means 20 missions for $40". But that is complete garbage of an argument. Blizzard doesn't have to set up servers and multiplayer the way they did with WoL. Nor do they need near the level of support for a new game. And they didn't have near the level of production costs for HotS.
Edited by Geo on 1/29/2013 12:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
Blizzard said that WoL was too long and are cutting HotS campaign length.

12 hours being too long for a campaign is complete poppycock and nonsense. Nobody in their right mind thinks that is enough content for the price. But people gave Blizzard a pass on it because of their multiplayer balancing for a whole new game may have distracted them from fully developing a single player campaign.

And along comes HotS,....where they give you a couple new units in multiplayer and a shorter campaign which will last only 10 hours. Only the most rabid of fanboys can defend this position.

Yeah at this rate, they may decide to discard LotV's campaign COMPLETELY
Reply Quote
01/26/2013 01:15 AMPosted by Tylercool
i dont know what data miners are, but if you do infact know about the campaign, please dont spoil it for people who dont want it to be spoiled, thank you

Now, if they show previews of stuff in the campaign, we have the right to tell it since Blizzard deems it appropriate to show the info off in the first place. Then again, everyone with info on the campaign should put *SPOILERS* near their title or post.
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 12:52 PMPosted by UltraNoob

Now, if they show previews of stuff in the campaign, we have the right to tell it since Blizzard deems it appropriate to show the info off in the first place. Then again, everyone with info on the campaign should put *SPOILERS* near their title or post.

Hey, the WoL campaign was easy to figure out from just the trailers. Yes there were some surprises, but overall you could figure out the campaign from those trailers alone. Who's the say you can't do the same for HotS?
Reply Quote
With the evolution missions I'll be ok if a single mission in HotS is like... take the first three missions in WoL and make that one tutorial mission. Having nice big missions would be great and less tutorial junk. Since it's the expansion they should be able to get away with only one tutorial and the rest are good solid missions.
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 01:26 PMPosted by GeminiEclips
With the evolution missions I'll be ok if a single mission in HotS is like... take the first three missions in WoL and make that one tutorial mission. Having nice big missions would be great and less tutorial junk. Since it's the expansion they should be able to get away with only one tutorial and the rest are good solid missions.

I'm still unsure if they'll do a tutorial mission. They had that in WoL, and they may assume you already know how things work by the time you play the HotS campaign
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 01:44 PMPosted by ragnarok

I'm still unsure if they'll do a tutorial mission. They had that in WoL, and they may assume you already know how things work by the time you play the HotS campaign

The interesting thing about the tutorial missions in WoL is that it let the player understand not exactly the functions of a certain unit but how they're used (I'd probably exclude the marines and medics though) but I agree with you to a certain extent. A few units might act a bit differently than from how they were in WoL, but for the most part, I can see why they would try and add new units as a means of diversity. However...I agree with those that say dumbing down certain units I think from WoL might not be a good thing, because I'm sure many players have their own "interpretation" of trying to "balance" things out, yet it's those that have played it WAY longer (that includes Starcraft and Brood Wars) that IMO have a better understanding in terms of using the term "balance" with regards to the VS. mode against other players. I've seen a few good matches and how some of the units worked...although I can't remember which uploaders specifically.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]