StarCraft® II

Only 20 missions?

Consider a few things about WoL:

Three of the missions were "alternate choice" missions. Good for replayability, but doesn't increase the length of an individual playthrough. HotS is already confirmed to have no alternate choice missions.

Four of the missions were a Protoss mini-campaign. I don't think anyone would weep over Hots not having a mini-campaign, since the Terrans just had theirs and the Protoss don't have much longer to wait.

One was a secret mission. If HotS has a secret mission, we don't know if it's included in the 20 count or not, because they might be trying to keep it secret.

So when you take away the "alternate choice" missions, the protoss mini-campaign, and the secret mission, what do you have left? Twenty-one missions. Just one more than HotS.

And HotS is going to have a lot more things to do between missions. More opportunities to get to know your crew members. Evolution mini-missions to give the player some idea of where their upgrades are actually coming from.

In context, it's not that much less content than WoL. And I'd rather have more (between mission) story and lore stuff than more missions anyway, because that's the one thing the single-player campaign can give you that no other part of the game can.
Reply Quote
McSantos, you got to that bit before I could. Drat! I'm to slow typing other posts.

Like you said, if those 20 HotS missions are not including a secret mission it be fantastic to see if there still leeway room for it and the possibility for more mini-campaign missions. But I going to need to look back in google memory way latter for older WoL information to see whether or not Blizzard excluded any mention of the existence of number of extra missions prior to release.
Reply Quote
Consider a few things about WoL:

Three of the missions were "alternate choice" missions. Good for replayability, but doesn't increase the length of an individual playthrough. HotS is already confirmed to have no alternate choice missions.

Four of the missions were a Protoss mini-campaign. I don't think anyone would weep over Hots not having a mini-campaign, since the Terrans just had theirs and the Protoss don't have much longer to wait.

One was a secret mission. If HotS has a secret mission, we don't know if it's included in the 20 count or not, because they might be trying to keep it secret.

So when you take away the "alternate choice" missions, the protoss mini-campaign, and the secret mission, what do you have left? Twenty-one missions. Just one more than HotS.

And HotS is going to have a lot more things to do between missions. More opportunities to get to know your crew members. Evolution mini-missions to give the player some idea of where their upgrades are actually coming from.

In context, it's not that much less content than WoL. And I'd rather have more (between mission) story and lore stuff than more missions anyway, because that's the one thing the single-player campaign can give you that no other part of the game can.

Everything you listed are included in the "29 missions"

So technically HotS could be all alternate missions, and the campaign lasts a whole 10 missions. The rub is that you can now play it twice to see what gimmicks blizzard added...why would anyone pay for that?
Reply Quote
Nope, the choice system in WoL not something that going to be in applied with HotS as well. So we'll be playing all 20 mission Zerg Swarm. The only difference in the gameplay experience you'll get is the variations of units unlocked in your choice order of picked missions/planets like WoL (apart from leveling Kerrigan and the Zerg unit stain evolution).

SCLegacy Dustin Browder Interview:
Cable: Are there a lot of decision-making branches within the single-player in Heart of the Swarm, kind of like what we saw in Wings of Liberty?

Dustin Browder: So there’s a couple of differences in the way we built the campaign in Heart of the Swarm we didn’t in Wings of Liberty. Some of this was based off feedback we had but some of it was also based on the story that we ended up telling. Kerrigan is very driven. She is not exploring the galaxy in kind of like a mercenary, "Maybe I’ll go here, I'll take this job, I’ll take that job." She has a quest. Stuff that she wants to get done. So at the end of the day we decided that all 20 missions are going to be required. There’s no optional missions in Heart of the Swarm. Everything in the game you must play if you want to see the final missions, but we still have the choice of what order you do things in. So you can choose which world to go to, in which order. There are some worlds that come later in the campaign, so there’s still some choice in there. I would say overall it's a little less loose than Wings of Liberty was, so there’s a little bit less of “this or that”. You choose less often, but at whole, certainly our belief is, the choices feel a lot more significant when you do make them.
Reply Quote
Nope, the choice system in WoL not something that going to be in applied with HotS as well. So we'll be playing all 20 mission Zerg Swarm. The only difference in the gameplay experience you'll get is the variations of units unlocked in your choice order of picked missions/planets like WoL (apart from leveling Kerrigan and the Zerg unit stain evolution).

SCLegacy Dustin Browder Interview:
Cable: Are there a lot of decision-making branches within the single-player in Heart of the Swarm, kind of like what we saw in Wings of Liberty?

Dustin Browder: So there’s a couple of differences in the way we built the campaign in Heart of the Swarm we didn’t in Wings of Liberty. Some of this was based off feedback we had but some of it was also based on the story that we ended up telling. Kerrigan is very driven. She is not exploring the galaxy in kind of like a mercenary, "Maybe I’ll go here, I'll take this job, I’ll take that job." She has a quest. Stuff that she wants to get done. So at the end of the day we decided that all 20 missions are going to be required. There’s no optional missions in Heart of the Swarm. Everything in the game you must play if you want to see the final missions, but we still have the choice of what order you do things in. So you can choose which world to go to, in which order. There are some worlds that come later in the campaign, so there’s still some choice in there. I would say overall it's a little less loose than Wings of Liberty was, so there’s a little bit less of “this or that”. You choose less often, but at whole, certainly our belief is, the choices feel a lot more significant when you do make them.

It's an example.

"mini-missions" counted towards the 29........so HotS could have 20 zerg mini-missions.

Now I doubt blizzard would do that....but this is a technicality that the insanely devout will use as ammo defending campaign length.
Reply Quote
It's an example.

"mini-missions" counted towards the 29........so HotS could have 20 zerg mini-missions.

Now I doubt blizzard would do that....but this is a technicality that the insanely devout will use as ammo defending campaign length.

The mini-missions will be separate from the 20 storyline missions. If we were to include the mini-missions, HotS's campaign would be a whopping 42 missions long at least! But that would be silly. The mini-missions are nicknamed as such because they are very short and easy. Just a little between-mission diversion to help players experience the life of the zerg, who are less relatable than the Terrans for obvious reasons. I'm not "devoted" enough, as you put it, to make such a claim.

WoL didn't really have anything comparable to the mini-missions, except perhaps the Lost Vikings arcade game. I'm not trying to say that the mini-missions alone are equivalent to the choice options or Protoss content from WoL. There's no denying that HotS will have fewer missions total than WoL.

But my point was that a playthrough of HotS will be about the same number of missions as a single playthrough of WoL without the Protoss stuff.
Reply Quote
Speaking of the mini-missions...don't you guys think it helps add a bit in terms of the story detail? I mean...WoL had the Protoss mini missions to help explain some bits of the story. Although the novel Flashpoint that connects WoL and HotS (while introducing the plot of HotS) helps explain some bits (and some might disagree with that for those that have read it), I kind of agree that it helps the player experience a bit more of the campaign that their playing. The only thing I'm trying to understand is whether or not fewer missions would help or detriment the telling of the story.
Reply Quote
01/30/2013 09:28 AMPosted by DecadeRanger
Speaking of the mini-missions...don't you guys think it helps add a bit in terms of the story detail? I mean...WoL had the Protoss mini missions to help explain some bits of the story. Although the novel Flashpoint that connects WoL and HotS (while introducing the plot of HotS) helps explain some bits (and some might disagree with that for those that have read it), I kind of agree that it helps the player experience a bit more of the campaign that their playing. The only thing I'm trying to understand is whether or not fewer missions would help or detriment the telling of the story.

Well I'm curious if there will be a mini campaign of another race this time.
Reply Quote
I wish blizzard would make for SP missions for the Terrans. Put them on the arcade and charge me a dollar for them!
Reply Quote
01/30/2013 04:48 PMPosted by Zemini
I wish blizzard would make for SP missions for the Terrans. Put them on the arcade and charge me a dollar for them!

Why'd you want that?
Reply Quote
01/22/2013 08:24 PMPosted by jleli
While I too was a bit disappointed seeing only 20 missions, I think the important component to remember is that these missions will likely be on a grander scale. The beginning few missions in WoL served as a bit of a tutorial and didn't have a whole lot of substance. My hope is that the 20 missions is about equal length in playtime as WoL, including the cut scenes and dialog in between.

Agreed. If you play through the WoL campaign, you'll notice that quite a few of the missions really don't have any story to them, they simply lead to the few quests that do.

The first two missions for both Tosh's quest-line and Ariel's are an example, four missions right there that only exist for the sole sake of unlocking tech and building up to the finale.

I hope that HotS doesn't have these, there should be more than enough potential material out there to make blizz wonder how in the heck they are going to fit it all into just 20 missions.
Reply Quote
02/06/2013 07:28 AMPosted by TornadoXIII
While I too was a bit disappointed seeing only 20 missions, I think the important component to remember is that these missions will likely be on a grander scale. The beginning few missions in WoL served as a bit of a tutorial and didn't have a whole lot of substance. My hope is that the 20 missions is about equal length in playtime as WoL, including the cut scenes and dialog in between.

Agreed. If you play through the WoL campaign, you'll notice that quite a few of the missions really don't have any story to them, they simply lead to the few quests that do.

The first two missions for both Tosh's quest-line and Ariel's are an example, four missions right there that only exist for the sole sake of unlocking tech and building up to the finale.

I hope that HotS doesn't have these, there should be more than enough potential material out there to make blizz wonder how in the heck they are going to fit it all into just 20 missions.

Well WoL wasn't as linear as you think because Raynor was a bit lost in his goals. He knows he has to stop the Zerg invasion, but also has no way to get Kerrigan back (at least not yet). He has to bring Mengsk to justice, but has no resources to fund his revolution to make it happen.

And that's why you see him taking jobs from Tosh, JUST for the sake to fund the revolution. It wasn't until Valerian told him that the artifact might be able to restore Kerrigan that Raynor had his sights set.
Reply Quote
I think they could of condensed the information you learn about each unit into one or two missions and give you different scenarios and their strengths and weaknesses or when you would use them. I think that would allow for them to have more room for more meaningful missions or longer missions and definitely extremely difficult missions.

I personally enjoyed doing Zeratul's first mission because I had to sit there and think about how I was going to go about killing each hatchery and how not to take any damage and what not...I love thinking and trying to solve puzzles. I think the moebius factor's hardcore was the hardest achievement for me to get, though I haven't played WoL on brutal yet.

I hope they don't introduce each unit one by one again and tell us how to use it and basically babysit us through the process, I like to know I can fail and that I can figure things out on my own.
Reply Quote
I think they could of condensed the information you learn about each unit into one or two missions and give you different scenarios and their strengths and weaknesses or when you would use them. I think that would allow for them to have more room for more meaningful missions or longer missions and definitely extremely difficult missions.

I personally enjoyed doing Zeratul's first mission because I had to sit there and think about how I was going to go about killing each hatchery and how not to take any damage and what not...I love thinking and trying to solve puzzles. I think the moebius factor's hardcore was the hardest achievement for me to get, though I haven't played WoL on brutal yet.

I hope they don't introduce each unit one by one again and tell us how to use it and basically babysit us through the process, I like to know I can fail and that I can figure things out on my own.

Oh that achievement wasn't too hard. I just ignored rescuing the trapped marines.
Reply Quote
20 missions is plenty imo and i am looking forward paying $40 for 20 new missions as well as an updated multiplayer package
Reply Quote
"I have absolute confidence in HotS' ability to pull off a good campaign."
I actually found the preview info for Kaldir pretty interesting.
Kaldir Mission 1 - Reclaim a Lost Brood & Battle Protoss Amidst Blizzards
Kaldir Mission 2 - Prevent the Protoss from Escaping like complete cowards
Kaldir Mission 3 - Infiltrate and Overrun a Protoss Research Ship (Kinda like Alien...without the facehuggers D:)

I actually find this arc to be pretty cool and straight-forward. Find the frozen brood, fight protoss, hunt them down and take their ship while you're at it. The only time where anything is unclear is Kaldir Mission 1, where you discover the frozen brood's leader is well..."frozen" and the planet has a ton of protoss itching for a fight.

Now look at the Colonist Arc. You're basically whisking Hanson and her people from their lost world to some random KMC refugee camp and finally throwing them onto some planet on the edge of Protoss space. Outbreak is completely pointless. Why not evacuate the colonists again instead of blowing up the infested the whole mission? There was no explanation for why the Hyperion didn't just send in some dropships for rescue...
The Colonist Arc was confusing...
Reply Quote
02/08/2013 07:51 PMPosted by tomato
20 missions is plenty imo and i am looking forward paying $40 for 20 new missions as well as an updated multiplayer package

Careful, that's depend on mission length. For example, if the first 5 missions are like less than 10 min long...
Reply Quote
I'm rooting for each mission to take a half of an hour, but I seriously doubt that'll be the case :P
Reply Quote
Lol. Hots is an expansion, 20 missions is pretty generous if you think about how much time it will take, especially how zerg depends a lot on macro.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]