StarCraft® II

Only 20 missions?

02/09/2013 07:47 AMPosted by Chino
I'm rooting for each mission to take a half of an hour, but I seriously doubt that'll be the case :P

Well I hope some missions take longer, or at least for the sake you can drag it out longer...
Reply Quote
There's a story to tell, it's not a WoW time sink. The campaign should be as big as it needs to be.
Reply Quote
02/11/2013 07:56 AMPosted by Bobucles
There's a story to tell, it's not a WoW time sink. The campaign should be as big as it needs to be.

We'll see. It's still likely to be shorter than WoL because Kerrigan has a focused goal in mind, whereas Raynor was relatively lost in his goals until near the end of the game.
Reply Quote
Besides, if they gave us everything, LotV wouldn't need to be made.
Reply Quote
02/11/2013 01:22 PMPosted by UltraNoob
Besides, if they gave us everything, LotV wouldn't need to be made.

Well yeah, but they have to tie up SOME of the loose ends before LotV...
Reply Quote
True. But they did use a book to tie WoL and HotS together so that may be where they seem to be going...
Reply Quote
02/11/2013 04:20 PMPosted by UltraNoob
True. But they did use a book to tie WoL and HotS together so that may be where they seem to be going...

Oh come on, they have to tell some sort of story in HotS. It can't be THAT simple of just reuniting the swarm and killing Mengsk.
Reply Quote
Well, we know that in the alternate timeline of Zeratul's prophesy, where Jim killed Kerrigan, the Dark Voice takes control of the Zerg, then uses his mixed Zerg/Hybrid army to steamroll the Protoss and eventually kill everyone everywhere.

Now, since Jim didn't kill Kerrigan, it stands to reason that at some point during the campaign, either he or Zeratul will inform her of that whole deal, and she'll take measures to make the Zerg immune to the Dark Voice's control. Not necessarily for altruistic reasons. It could be that she just doesn't like the idea of some mysterious diabolus ex machina showing up at the eleventh hour and jacking all her bugs. But either way, it amounts to the same thing.

Which leads us into our final conflict in Legacy of the Void, Zeratul and his protoss vs. the Dark Voice and his hybrids. Only this time the Protoss actually have a fighting chance, because the Dark Voice's army is just hyrbrids, without any Zerg backup.

Now that's not confirmed by any means. But it's a reasonable assumption considering the information we given in Wings of Liberty.
Reply Quote
02/11/2013 07:43 PMPosted by McSantos
Well, we know that in the alternate timeline of Zeratul's prophesy, where Jim killed Kerrigan

It was never said HOW Kerrigan died in the original timeline, you know...
Reply Quote
02/11/2013 09:21 PMPosted by ragnarok
Well, we know that in the alternate timeline of Zeratul's prophesy, where Jim killed Kerrigan

True, but one of Zeratul's lines implies that Jim used the Xel'naga artifact to kill her instead of depowering her.

"You will hold her life in your hands, and though justice demands she die for her crimes, only she can save us."
Reply Quote
02/11/2013 09:47 PMPosted by McSantos

True, but one of Zeratul's lines implies that Jim used the Xel'naga artifact to kill her instead of depowering her.

"You will hold her life in your hands, and though justice demands she die for her crimes, only she can save us."

Yeah, but in the Overmind's future vision, the Dark Voice also said it was the Protoss that killed her, thinking she was the real threat...
Reply Quote
I just want to give a shout out that I love reading all these threads.. love the debate you guys put up for everyone.
Reply Quote
01/22/2013 08:24 PMPosted by jleli
My hope is that the 20 missions is about equal length in playtime as WoL

Same here. And I'm guessing the mini evolution-missions will help it feel a bit longer, at least. If there are two of those for every unit's evolution branch, that could be an additional 2 - 3 hours of playtime.

That being said, a lot of people do a speedrun on their first playthrough, then complain that it was over too fast. Enjoy yourselves, people. Soak up the scenery!
Reply Quote
Well did Blizzard ever say how long the evolution missions would last?
Reply Quote
The hours must reach over 9000! O_O
Reply Quote
02/21/2013 02:42 PMPosted by Stereo
The hours must reach over 9000! O_O

You'll have to ask Blizzard to do that for LotV, especially since they said everything will be revealed by the end of that game...
Reply Quote
Well it is at expansion price ($40) and its only 6 less missions than the previous one, also we got alot of HoTs content so I'm fine with it
Reply Quote
02/22/2013 04:01 PMPosted by Justin
Well it is at expansion price ($40) and its only 6 less missions than the previous one, also we got alot of HoTs content so I'm fine with it

We'll see. If HotS doesn't reveal as much as we think on the whole prophecy matter, maybe LotV will have to be a bit longer in terms of campaign.
Reply Quote
02/22/2013 07:55 PMPosted by ragnarok
If HotS doesn't reveal as much as we think on the whole prophecy matter, maybe LotV will have to be a bit longer in terms of campaign.

That will likely depend more on the nature of how LotV is structured compared to the other campaigns. Since the main focus is Zeratul uniting the divided Protoss tribes, it's reasonable to assume that each tribe will have it's own small series of missions that must be completed to win their favor.

I'm guessing the order you do missions in will also be more important in that game. Choosing to help certain tribes before others might have some effect on the length of a single playthrough.
Reply Quote
Blizzard said that WoL was too long and are cutting HotS campaign length.

12 hours being too long for a campaign is complete poppycock and nonsense. Nobody in their right mind thinks that is enough content for the price. But people gave Blizzard a pass on it because of their multiplayer balancing for a whole new game may have distracted them from fully developing a single player campaign.

And along comes HotS,....where they give you a couple new units in multiplayer and a shorter campaign which will last only 10 hours.

Only the most rabid of fanboys can defend this position. The most common argument fanboys use is "29 missions for $60 means 20 missions for $40". But that is complete garbage of an argument. Blizzard doesn't have to set up servers and multiplayer the way they did with WoL. Nor do they need near the level of support for a new game. And they didn't have near the level of production costs for HotS.

I bought the game for the multiplayer. That alone is worth the $40-60 to me. But that's not fanboy status. Most times I don't even beat the games I buy anymore so to me as long as I get my play time out of it im happy. I've got Guild Wars 2 and never set foot in anything other than SPvP and WvWvW. The storyline means nothing to me.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]