StarCraft® II

Only 20 missions?

03/04/2013 12:40 AMPosted by ragnarok
We'll see. I mean technically you could have said the first WoL mission doesn't really count because it takes like 3 minutes to finish even on Brutal...

LOL, good point.

Even if all the evolution missions are as short as "Liberation Day", each unit has 2 of them, and you'll get to play both before making your decision. So they would still add up to about an hour's worth of content.
Reply Quote
03/04/2013 12:07 PMPosted by McSantos
We'll see. I mean technically you could have said the first WoL mission doesn't really count because it takes like 3 minutes to finish even on Brutal...

LOL, good point.

Even if all the evolution missions are as short as "Liberation Day", each unit has 2 of them, and you'll get to play both before making your decision. So they would still add up to about an hour's worth of content.

Which would be like the equivalent of 2 WoL missions (decent length ones).
Reply Quote
I just hope it's not extremely short.
Reply Quote
03/06/2013 06:20 PMPosted by Stereo

Well what's your definition of "short"?

If it takes 15 to 20 min for an evolution mission, I consider that a reasonable length.
Reply Quote
Well I just hope HoTS' missions take longer than WoL's

Graphics are not the issue here, they can make missions quite easily with the galaxy editor.
Reply Quote
Well I just hope HoTS' missions take longer than WoL's

Graphics are not the issue here, they can make missions quite easily with the galaxy editor.

Well I never really paid much attention to playing time for missions except when I was playing on Normal.

I'd say if I took my time and tried leveling most of the enemy on the map, the longest Normal mission was about 40 min long.
Reply Quote
Really? If true, that is a little disappointing.

Data miners have found evolutions for at least 13 units in the map files (including nydus worms), so if only 8 units evolve, that means a lot of content was cut from the final release.

Their presence in the game does not mean they are an option for evolution or an evolution mission, and if that content was cut from final release, it wouldn't be there for the data miners to find...

And I'm confused, are we adding the supposed 16 evolution missions to the other 20 missions? Because I'm O.K. with 36 missions...
Reply Quote
03/06/2013 06:39 PMPosted by ragnarok

Well what's your definition of "short"?

If it takes 15 to 20 min for an evolution mission, I consider that a reasonable length.

Well I'm just hoping it isn't a lot shorter than WoL and is about the same length or even longer.
Reply Quote
Really? If true, that is a little disappointing.

Data miners have found evolutions for at least 13 units in the map files (including nydus worms), so if only 8 units evolve, that means a lot of content was cut from the final release.

Their presence in the game does not mean they are an option for evolution or an evolution mission, and if that content was cut from final release, it wouldn't be there for the data miners to find...

And I'm confused, are we adding the supposed 16 evolution missions to the other 20 missions? Because I'm O.K. with 36 missions...

Again, it depends on how long an evolution mission is.

If the evolution mission takes like 3 min to finish, that doesn't qualify as a mission at all because it's too short.
Reply Quote
I think the evolution missions will probably be at least 10 mins maybe longer if you drag it out.
Reply Quote
20 Missions with 4 Different Kerrigan Playstyles, meaning you have at most 80 missions of re-playability, not including all the different paths of mutations you can take with your units.
Reply Quote
03/08/2013 12:22 PMPosted by Makuta
20 Missions with 4 Different Kerrigan Playstyles, meaning you have at most 80 missions of re-playability, not including all the different paths of mutations you can take with your units.

Battle stances, or whatever it was called, are now gone. Kerrigan's skills can be swapped freely between missions, with the only permanent choice being unit evolution. If you want to calculate how many permutations of Mutations along with an estimation of units and missions, be my best, but that's not real re-playability, in my opinion.

As to everyone else's current discussion of the evolution missions and their length. I seriously doubt that each pair of missions will exceed 10 minutes in duration, at the absolute longest. Every word we've seen to describe the missions suggests a short period of time. "Skirmish", "mini", "compact", etc.

The purpose of the missions is to showcase the unit and let the player get a feel for how the new units operate. Every description we've received from press events describing the missions (whether the descriptors come from the presses' own evaluation or suggested wording from Blizzard themselves is irrelevant) suggests that the missions are very short and involve simplistic mission objectives that most likely wont amount to more than A-moving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz4nMWExg98#t=11m06s Relevant video ends at about 12:40

That's probably what we will be getting. Doesn't look like much eh? Yea, we will certainly not be getting 36 missions. It'll amount to something like 21 or 22, maybe.
Edited by Default on 3/8/2013 1:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
I guess it will be similar to the challenges, namely the Ghost one. Go Play it.
Reply Quote
03/08/2013 12:22 PMPosted by Makuta

Which should be ok, but given that there's no real choices in the whole campaign, it just makes me curious.
Reply Quote
03/08/2013 02:32 PMPosted by ragnarok

Which should be ok, but given that there's no real choices in the whole campaign, it just makes me curious.

Well, we have been told that, at a certain point in the game, we're going to be given options on which planet we want to go to next, and that the order we choose to visit the planets in will change certain things.

I assume it's like how Jim Raynor will have different conversations with Matt Horner after the missions "A Sinister Turn" and "Piercing the Shroud", depending on which one he does first.
Reply Quote
03/08/2013 02:55 PMPosted by McSantos

Well, we have been told that, at a certain point in the game, we're going to be given options on which planet we want to go to next, and that the order we choose to visit the planets in will change certain things.

I assume it's like how Jim Raynor will have different conversations with Matt Horner after the missions "A Sinister Turn" and "Piercing the Shroud", depending on which one he does first.

Yeah but you know what I mean. There's no choices like in the New Folsom missions, either to side with Tosh or Nova.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]