StarCraft® II

4 Gate is Not a Good Starting Build

Something else that i failed to mention in my first response... is scouting.

Have you ever tried to teach a bronze/silver league player how to scout?

I have... and it is a royal pain in the !@#.

Why?

Not only what you mentioned, but another reason it is pointless is because scouting should develop organically. All the scouting I learned was because I had a need. "I lose to build z at x time so I need to check at y time to see if they're doing build z."

4gate is the most fundamental build for protoss players to learn, every protoss player should know how to 4gate.

it is the easiest protoss build out there, that is why it is recommended you 4gate your way to diamond. It shows you the importance of having a good build. the 4gate is a 'good build' which is why it will smash everyone up until diamond/low masters, assuming you execute it decently.

i agree with previous statements, you want to jump straight into the hard stuff, the macro, making probes, not getting supply blocked, expanding, scouting, reacting, learning all the different strategies out there.

But trust me it is too difficult that way, you will easily get confused and rage quit more often than not, and starcraft will not be fun this way. You have to take learning steps 1 by 1. It would be like telling an elementary kid to learn calculus. there is no point

This is absurd though. What do you tell players that play Terran? Proxy 2 rax every game because that way its easy? Zerg 6 pool? Protoss learn the 4 gate because its needed in PvP. It seems to me that when people tell you to use it in the other match ups that it is more a pejorative than anything.
Edited by Rathelm on 1/22/2013 4:21 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]