StarCraft® II

Need help with TvZ? Ask questions. 95%winrate

Im no pro. But I am a master Terran (other acc) and I can easily take games from up to 900pts master zergs. I can say that my winrate vs zerg is around 95% and it is by far my best MU

I mech in my tvz games, so if there are any low master and below players who want to learn mech or are struggling to mech against zerg feel free to ask questions!

Replays

http://drop.sc/299390
http://drop.sc/299107
http://drop.sc/298996
http://drop.sc/298824

Good all in mech build
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/7764667014?page=1#9
Edited by John on 1/30/2013 6:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
Whenever I mech versus zerg and lose, it is normally because of a special anti-mech timing involving roaches or mutalisks.

However, I'm not sure how/when to scout for said timings.

What are the most common timing attacks a mech player will recieve from a savvy zerg, and how should he scout which ones are or aren't coming?

Thanks for doing this!
Edited by Harasshole on 1/26/2013 8:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
If you scout a no gas zerg what is your timing for pressure and what build are you using?
Reply Quote

just thought i would post my most recent win. Fairly easy. Pushed a bit late but you get the idea
Reply Quote
Whenever I mech versus zerg and lose, it is normally because of a special anti-mech timing involving roaches or mutalisks.

However, I'm not sure how/when to scout for said timings.

What are the most common timing attacks a mech player will recieve from a savvy zerg, and how should he scout which ones are or aren't coming?

Thanks for doing this!

Well i always ALWAYS drop an engineering bay at 8 minutes, and my first two units out of the 2nd and third factory are thors. Mutas are usually there by 10-11.

First. Scout his third and see that he hasnt taken it by 8 minutes, this means hes going 2 base lair. Which means most likely mutas, infestors possibly, but those arnt an issue when you mech.

There are some zergs who will just sit on 2 base and make roaches and attack, again its important to scout this. You should be VERY tank heavy when you mech, otherwise you die to just plain roaches.

Also tanks are 1000 times more effective SPREAD out. You want fields of fire in so that when he engages 1 tank, hes taking fire from 3 more. That being said constantly produce banshees, taking your third is the dangerous part. If hes on 2 base i wait to take mine til i have a decent tank count.

I dont really know off the top of my head the specific timings aside from mutas at 10-11. Which is often followed up by roaches, he will do this because alot of people over produce thors against the mutas, and then the roaches do tons of damage. DONT over invest in thors, i usually have 3-4 max in my army.

Siege tanks are what protect you against roaches, and like i said positioning is everything, dont get caught in a ball against roaches, i have had it happen and i die in 10 seconds. So once you hit creep(or even before then if hes mobile enough) you want to start sieging up in chunks. if you have replays i can definitely help that way as well
Edited by John on 1/26/2013 9:05 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/26/2013 08:21 AMPosted by htpkAzrael
If you scout a no gas zerg what is your timing for pressure and what build are you using?

Well the two builds i use are hellion banshee, and sometimes 2 factory blue flame hellion.

blue flame hellion is great if you scout a late gas, and will often kill him outright, i dont prefer it much though because if i dont do good damage im behind, and any kind of early roach pressure can kill you or do significant damage.

So my normal build is just standard hellion banshee, once i get my first 4 hellions i send them straight into his natural. Surprisingly i have had very few zergs be prepared for this, im not sure why but they just arnt. My first cloaked banshee is rallied to his third so i can see if its there. If it is and he doesnt have creep connected or a lair then its a free kill.

If its not there then i use the banshee to poke into his main and see what hes up to.

Denying scouting is a great thing, as it makes zergs very uncomfortable. So keeping ovies out of your base with your first few marines is great.
Reply Quote
Thanks a ton!
Reply Quote

just thought i would post my most recent win. Fairly easy. Pushed a bit late but you get the idea

At 23:13 amfg look at the infestors lmaoo, winfestor centipede.
Reply Quote
Can you give me a your bo from helion banshee ? i always have trouble opening mech this way.
Reply Quote
01/26/2013 01:04 PMPosted by WildWalrus
Can you give me a your bo from helion banshee ? i always have trouble opening mech this way.

well i dont really go by supply numbers. But heres the order of things as minerals and gas permit

Supply
Barracks
CC in natural
First gas
2nd depot
2nd gas
make sure 3 in each gas.
factory as soon as 100 gas
next 50 gas put reactor on barracks
when factory finishes swap with reactored barracks
start starport immediately and use barracks to build a tech lab.

Essentially this is it. From there it all depends on what i scout. If hes being super greedy i get third cc and 2 armories followed by 2 factories.

If there is a chance of agression i get 3rd cc then 2 factories and 1 armory (other one later)

If there is definitely super agression i prolong 3rd cc and get 2 factories and an armory asap.

Watch the replay i posted a few posts above to get a better idea for the build order
Reply Quote
I just started playing terran and have not yet been using mech.

I have been trying to use builds (like bombers 3 base all in) that simply overwhelm my zerg opponent, basically trading early minerals from a third base for infestor energy at the 14 minute mark.

So, I guess I am asking, for a new player (to terran, not sc2), should I focus on a marine tank TvZ or should I learn mech?

Similarily, in lower leagues, protoss are often encouraged to just work for colossus stalker based armies and add HT's later to their play.
Reply Quote
I just started playing terran and have not yet been using mech.

I have been trying to use builds (like bombers 3 base all in) that simply overwhelm my zerg opponent, basically trading early minerals from a third base for infestor energy at the 14 minute mark.

So, I guess I am asking, for a new player (to terran, not sc2), should I focus on a marine tank TvZ or should I learn mech?

Similarily, in lower leagues, protoss are often encouraged to just work for colossus stalker based armies and add HT's later to their play.

depends. How is your micro? I simply cant split very well and im not a fan of using tons of AMP.

Mech is a bit slower style but once you learn it i think its much easier.
Reply Quote
depends. How is your micro? I simply cant split very well and im not a fan of using tons of AMP.

My micro == 0

lol

I think I might try mech out for a bit; I kinda miss having a hard counter to zerg tier 1 like zealots were, when I watch mech evolve through out the game it just looks like it is moving from one hard counter to the next and it is kinda nice to have that I dunno xD
Reply Quote

My micro == 0

lol

I think I might try mech out for a bit; I kinda miss having a hard counter to zerg tier 1 like zealots were, when I watch mech evolve through out the game it just looks like it is moving from one hard counter to the next and it is kinda nice to have that I dunno xD

Yea if you think about it Mech completely counters zerg. Your biggest problem is mobility. Thats why you want walls, tanks behind them, turrets. You want to be air tight.

Let me know if you want more replays to look at!
Reply Quote
http://drop.sc/298996

Thought i would drop by another replay. This was quick and easy. Its just amazing how they dont prepare. Notice how i dont even hesitate with the hellions. Those first 4 hellions have literally given me a ton of free wins
Reply Quote
http://drop.sc/299107
Reply Quote
This really is the way to play TvZ at the moment, it's honestly my best match up as well. Helion Banshee into mech rules.
Reply Quote
Since the mech style of play is a slow one, do you face off against broodlords often? Since most of your gas is already invested in tanks, do you have a proper counter to this?

Also I don't believe that you beat zergs often. Haven't you heard, fungal is OP and is killing SC2.
Reply Quote
Since the mech style of play is a slow one, do you face off against broodlords often? Since most of your gas is already invested in tanks, do you have a proper counter to this?

Also I don't believe that you beat zergs often. Haven't you heard, fungal is OP and is killing SC2.

I BARELY ever face broods, and even then its only a few broods and farely easy to beat.

Infestors are next to useless against mech. It takes about a thousand fungels to kill a tank or thor lol.

Watch my latest replay i posted and it will give you a good idea of what i do. Basically i go for a prehive push, and with the massive amount of tanks i have it decimates his army.

If you notice though i do get 2 additional starports so i can pump vikings to rally towards my push.
Reply Quote

I BARELY ever face broods, and even then its only a few broods and farely easy to beat.

Infestors are next to useless against mech. It takes about a thousand fungels to kill a tank or thor lol.

Watch my latest replay i posted and it will give you a good idea of what i do. Basically i go for a prehive push, and with the massive amount of tanks i have it decimates his army.

If you notice though i do get 2 additional starports so i can pump vikings to rally towards my push.

Infested Terran work against mech, Fungal doesn't. Remember that Fungal is mostly about stopping movement. Mech doesn't actually want to move any more than it has to.

Fungal makes games very boring to watch. So yes it is killing much of the esports aspect of the game.
Edited by TerranicII on 1/27/2013 9:47 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]