StarCraft® II

[Suggestion] BNet Map/Mod Versioning

Currently, when a developer publishes a map or mod, its based on a integer value, however this can lead to confusion given the typical way versioning is done for programs.

Example:
I publish a map/mod for the first time. The version is then 1.0. A second time its 1.1, a tenth and its 1.2, and many times later its 1.105. Now in the versioning world, 1.105 is lower than 1.2, so players and even developers sometimes get thrown off by this.

Suggestion: Make versioning based on a real value with a 1/2/3 decimal position instead, and open up an additional field.

Example:
Publish as: Major, Minor, Hotfix

This would publish a map with a version number as follows:

After many publishes, it would look like this:
In this scenario, we know that this is the first version of a game, with 16 major patches and 615 hotfixes.

In Blizzards current system, may publishes would be read as follows:

This is read as 1 major patch, 1 minor patch and 5 incremental patches; However, in actual publish terms it simply means 1 major patch and 105 minor patches.

At the very least, the minor patches need to be a real value, so the first publish is read as 1.001; not 1.1

Just some food for thought.
Reply Quote
2 things. 1. Can someone Redirect this to the suggestions forum :P. 2. I agree with some of this, But the patches are as they are in many other games too :P but yeah I do think your system would be easier for players to read, but then again people never read anything before joining.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]