StarCraft® II

Filtersc's Bronze to Master Zerg

His videos have helped me improve tremendously in just a few days. When i first jumped into the ladder, i was losing near 90% of the time. I think i won twice while losing 16+ games. The only way i could win was to pull off some 6 pool or 7 RR cheese. Thank god i found his videos while googling zerg guides. I practiced his builds and perfected the timing against easy ai. Learned to use my hotkeys and to inject more effectively. This "practice" literally only took about a couple hours at most. Took my new skills to MP and haven't lost a single match since i watched his video. I've won 16 games in a row and now i'm eagerly awaiting my promotion to silver.

As i progress up the ladder, are there any limitations to this build? I think i've heard him say that this build is pretty much effective all the way up to platinum. Should i also think about taking my third base now? Up to this point i've only been taking 2 bases and massing roaches.
Reply Quote
Filters build got me to platinum. Its highly effective because most people just arent used to countering it. A good time to transition is at 8:30 against toss but when playing against Zerg or Terran you should wait until 12 minutes when you know the defence will hold.

Wes
Reply Quote
Figured I'd chime in since FilterSc was what got me going too. I made it to gold and was beating plats here and there with what he says to do.

While it is very possible to get into plat with it, you probably wont get much farther because it's really not that hard to hold it and you usually lose to people that hold it. You basically learned an all in that requires decent droning and injecting to be successful. What you should do after you are able to hit the benchmarks is learn to take a third and not just cross your fingers and hope the timing attack works.

I suggest continuing on to ApolloDignitas to really get a lot better. He teaches better scouting mechanics and how to expand into a real economy.

Disclaimer: Not knocking Filter. I loved his videos and he seems like an awesome dude but you should treat his videos as a starting point and expand on the foundation you get from it once you get into gold plat range.
Reply Quote
i use to use this build, but on the SEA server it wont get you past bronze league.
Reply Quote
What exactly is this build?
Reply Quote
I think the build they are talking about is a 2 base roach all in that uses upgrades so basically you drone up to a 2 base economy and than mass roaches, i have done this and it works well but if the other player gets hellions out early before your roaches or speedlings than i don't really know what to do when that happens. also if a toss is just camping in his base waiting to get that maxed army he can just sit there and forcefield the ramp. i'm not sure how to deal with that also. what are your guys thoughts? :)
Reply Quote
If he forcefields his ramp, burrow and use tunneling claws right under it and pop it back up and boom boom
Reply Quote
If he builds Helions you just have to micro one of your extra queens and your 1 or 2 spine crawlers at your natural will make quick work of them. Easy sauce.

- Wes
Reply Quote
01/27/2013 06:29 PMPosted by thatGuyAgain
Disclaimer: Not knocking Filter. I loved his videos and he seems like an awesome dude but you should treat his videos as a starting point and expand on the foundation you get from it once you get into gold plat range.

Its because he never finished the rest of the series like he did with the Terran one. The 2 base roach play is an all-in. It doesn't take into Zerg's strength of being reactionary. It teaches you how to perfect a build. I'm sure if he continued he would have expanded upon how to play the more standard builds for each matchup, like the stefano 3 base 12 minute max.
Reply Quote
do you guys recomend putting all your hatcheries on one control group say like 4? and than just having your queens on different hotkeys so you can inject really easy and fast like idra does? i have been thinking of putting my hatcheries on seperate control groups so i can manage my economy better and get just the right amount of drones i need per base. but the thing is that spending your larva takes more time and you honestly spend more time and work just macroing and i was wondering if there is a better way?
Reply Quote
I put all queens on 4 and all hatches on 5. I try to inject from each base when I can, but its convenient to be able to do it from the map if needed.
Reply Quote
I also found Filter's stuff incredibly helpful. I like his breakdown of each match at different points and his explanations for each concept. Everyone who gets the chance should check out his stuff.
Reply Quote
I need a practice parner, anybody interested message me.

Im zerg.
Reply Quote
01/27/2013 06:44 PMPosted by HMTehz
i use to use this build, but on the SEA server it wont get you past bronze league.

Yes it will, as long as you're not awful.
Reply Quote
Figured I'd chime in since FilterSc was what got me going too. I made it to gold and was beating plats here and there with what he says to do.

While it is very possible to get into plat with it, you probably wont get much farther because it's really not that hard to hold it and you usually lose to people that hold it. You basically learned an all in that requires decent droning and injecting to be successful. What you should do after you are able to hit the benchmarks is learn to take a third and not just cross your fingers and hope the timing attack works.

I suggest continuing on to ApolloDignitas to really get a lot better. He teaches better scouting mechanics and how to expand into a real economy.

which d appolo lesson is good to start with after u hit that platnum ish mmr where filters guide starts to get ineffective
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 02:56 PMPosted by Oxxford
which d appolo lesson is good to start with after u hit that platnum ish mmr where filters guide starts to get ineffective

Just go to his channel and look for the starcraft 2 tutorials revamped. He has an older set that are more the previous meta. There are four zerg tutorials in that catagory, and they are numbered just go through all of them when you get the time. I did notice in the 4th video around 15ish minutes there is a master level zvz and it really really helped me understand the flow of a zvz match and how to properly approach the matchup.

All in all there is a lot of good stuff throughout the videos and he has the other races too if you're interested at all. It's worth the time.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]