Goswser's 10 minute roach drop

Currently in the middle of Goswser's destruction of "the best player in the world" ie: MVP.
Personally I've been going for a lot of cheese and rush plays on the ladder lately. I've been doing the 7RR versus protoss FFE and the 10 pool versus zerg FE. Terran is easily my worst match-up and I tend to go for a 2-base baneling bust and try to overwhelm with zerglings. It's pretty lame, especially against mech.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csiftgttucg&list=UUaxar6TBM-94_ezoS00fLkA

Having watched this I think I just found my mech solution. Thoughts? He even sends in a few queens I'm assuming for banshees. This build is very appealing to me because the timings is so brutal. It can't be dodged and I think BIO is the only true solution here.
Reply Quote
That was a specific build against a specific opponent. MVP likes to open very greedily, making up for his poor defense with his starsense. In particular, MVP gets very late siege mode.

That BO forces the zerg to commit to some sort of lair/no 3rd base play even before you know that it's mech. In this replay, Gowser starts drop upgrade and ranged attack (committing him pretty heavily) at the 7:50 mark. MVP starts his second factory and armory at the 8:00 mark (and Gowser never scouts it). He just coin flipped that his opponent wouldn't scout adequately, and would go mech. That's fine when you're playing MVP (his wrists are bad so he usually mechs), but won't work on ladder.

In that particular game, MVP went fast 3rd cc, built an engi bay but no turrets, didn't kill any of the dropping overlords with vikings, and canceled his first thor in favor of a siege tank. All those compounded to him having only one siege tank and a couple of hellions at the 10:40 mark!

You'll probably be able to use this build just fine in platinum (even against bio), and even win a decent number of games. It's kind of similar in idea to Curious's roach allin (http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/2_Base_Nydus_(vs._Terran)). However, it'll get shut down once you reach a higher rating.
Edited by Wobulator on 1/27/2013 4:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
Well if you can count out bio-mech I think it would be a pretty safe attack. Mech builds usually include lots of hellions early on and no extra barracks.

In that particular game, MVP went fast 3rd cc, built an engi bay but no turrets, didn't kill any of the dropping overlords with vikings, and canceled his first thor in favor of a siege tank. All those compounded to him having only one siege tank and a couple of hellions at the 10:40 mark!

Well the fast third is pretty common for a mech build and if you saw that it was a bio build I'd abort the attack early on. Turrets are normally placed near the mineral line and even combined with vikings would not do enough damage if you sent ALL your overlords. It is an all-in after all.
I can't imagine 1 thor stopping all those roaches, especially if you can drop right on top.

It's like my 7RR build against protoss. It works because of the players, not the game. People just don't expect it and terrans always rely on zerg either knocking at their front door or expanding like crazy. Dropping units with overlords is VERY broodwarish.
Edited by Graboid on 1/28/2013 2:40 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]