Patch 1.1.1 Notes

I agree that having APM-intensive actions is good for the game, but only if these actions require decisions. If you're arguing that the next step after removing sock-folding is removing unit micro, you don't understand what makes APM-intensive tasks good for the game.

Players should be able to make and execute decisions quickly. If two players are making equally good decisions in a balanced game, the one with higher APM should win because he is making these decision faster. Sock-folding was an artificial APM sink that added nothing to the game other than "spam this button in the very early game or be behind." Removing it has nothing to do with removing the need to micro units in battle.

It's fine to want a higher Effective-APM cap, but you have to remember why you want APM to be a factor in the first place.
Reply Quote
I welcome our quickly patching game, I deplore the way they prioritize the changes.

was the Ultralisk change game-breaking? Not really - most games don't go to T3.5. Should they have thrown in a pro-zerg fix for one of the many other issues? Yes, they should have.
Reply Quote
they fixed the mineral speed trick!?!?!?

WHY blizzard??? WHY!!!!
that was such a great trick :(

Ha haaaa.

It was stupid, and I <3 Blizzard for fixing this. I thought they'd go the other way (remove the delay) but the fact that they ENFORCE the delay, that makes me go hee hee hee.
Reply Quote
Fixed an issue where queuing Return Cargo on a worker would cause it to ignore the built-in delay after it finished gathering.

Well there goes another interesting and balanced mechanic.

Really having the game require more apm is a good thing.

This is RTS, not point and click.

What part of Real Time Strategy confuses you?

Reply Quote
they fixed the mineral speed trick!?!?!?

WHY blizzard??? WHY!!!!
that was such a great trick :(

Ha haaaa.

It was stupid, and I <3 Blizzard for fixing this. I thought they'd go the other way (remove the delay) but the fact that they ENFORCE the delay, that makes me go hee hee hee.
Removing the delay would have a pretty significant impact on the game o.O
I'd hate to be the balance team if they'd gone in that direction.
Reply Quote
Fixed an issue where queuing Return Cargo on a worker would cause it to ignore the built-in delay after it finished gathering.

Following the trend,
What part of Real Time Strategy confuses you (plural)?

To single out one aspect of the genre and base your (implied) argument on that is flawed.
Yes, these games are played in Real Time, so speed is important.
Yes, this is a Strategy game, so thinking and making decisions are important.

I interpret "Real Time Strategy" to mean "Strategy that is played in real time," with emphasis on the fact that "real time" is a modifying description of the word "strategy." First and foremost, the player who makes better decisions should have the advantage. Then, players can be compared based on how quickly they can perform good decisions.

Sure, one player can have such high APM that he may overcome a disadvantage in his decision-making skills, but it is still important that every action he makes is to execute some sort of decision.
Edited by Yotta on 9/27/2010 8:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote

# Fixed an issue where some Mac users were unable to join games properly.

Does this also mean you fixed the issue where some PC users are still getting download errors when they try to play any form of Multiplayer post-patch?
Reply Quote

Following the trend,

c-c-c-c-c-ombo breaker
Edited by Xanter on 9/27/2010 8:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Following the trend,

c-c-c-c-c-ombo breaker
My biggest regret is that, out of context, I look like i'm making a simple argument based on the implications of typing 3 words in bold :(

Also please somebody continue this quote tunnel, it's getting pretty big :D
Edited by Yotta on 9/27/2010 8:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote

It was unintentional as far as I see so you're being pretty unfair.

The problem is not whether it was intentional or not, it was that with a little micro you could gain an advantage.

Isn't the rest of the game about that?

Spam clicking something mindlessly is not micro, it's spam clicking and tedious. Since you like highlighting parts of RTS, let me point out rtS, since I can hardly see what is strategic about the mineral trick.

By your logic, control groups should be removed and units should not be allowed to be given move orders beyond a few steps, and workers will only make a single mining trip before requiring fresh orders, this way the only way to even conduct a battle would be to have 500+ APM. Then we'd truly see who the greatest player is!
Reply Quote
RE: Sockfolding, I'll just post what I did before:

Actually, I'm surprised they let workers go back and forth between mineral patches mining without any intervention by the user at all. I think players should have to send their workers to a patch, then tell them to return with their cargo, then tell them to go mine again, over and over and over and over again throughout the whole match. (And no queuing commands either; that's just for lazy casual players who don't have the willpower to stare at their mineral line for 99% of a game).

After all, anything that requires more clicks has to make the game better!
Reply Quote
i can't believe they'd fix mineral boosting

it wasn't game-breaking by any means... and it was fun to do in the first 2-3 minutes of the game

such a shame.
Reply Quote
Lame that they fixed the 7% trick, i liked the advantage i had over opponents who couldnt micro as fast as me
Reply Quote
would the name change happen to be coming with this patch??
Reply Quote
RE: Sockfolding, I'll just post what I did before:

Actually, I'm surprised they let workers go back and forth between mineral patches mining without any intervention by the user at all. I think players should have to send their workers to a patch, then tell them to return with their cargo, then tell them to go mine again, over and over and over and over again throughout the whole match. (And no queuing commands either; that's just for lazy casual players who don't have the willpower to stare at their mineral line for 99% of a game).

After all, anything that requires more clicks has to make the game better!
Satire is a great way of drawing attention to the flaws in an argument, but it's useless unless you supplement it with an argument supporting your own position. From your post I could infer that you think APM requirements should be very low, or that you think high EAPM caps are fine as long as the effects of actions are to execute decisions, or that you simply like taking other people's arguments to the extreme and pointing out the flaws that would lie in them if they were actually the arguments being supported.

As it is, I doubt your post will change anyone's mind on the subject.
Edited by Yotta on 9/27/2010 9:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Satire is a great way of drawing attention to the flaws in an argument, but it's useless unless you supplement it with an argument supporting your own position.

True enough.

My argument with 100% less satire: "More Clicks" is not the same as "Better", nor is it the same as "Skill" or "Fun".

Sockfolding involved nothing but mindless click-queuing, added nothing interesting to the game, and was generally just obnoxious. It won't be missed (by me).
Reply Quote
Are you kidding me taking out the tiny shred of metagame and microing from the early game you suck

what a joke the mineral glitch NEEDS TO STAY
Edited by Tausken on 9/27/2010 9:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]