Terrain Object Glitch (in the editor)

<rant>Pretty fragging pissed. So I spend a good half hour modeling this staircase, right? (I'm extremely newb at modeling) I import it into the editor, it looks great in-game and #!@@, but to make it walkable I need it to be a terrain object. Pretty much NOTHING about terrain objects work. I set all of the parameters up correctly, I have a good understanding of what they all mean. When I place one of the objects somewhere in the editor (this applies to some of the pre-existing Blizzard-made terrain objects too), it snaps to some retarded incomprehensible grid, so of course I'm going to have to move it. Simple, I just drag it to the location I want it to be, right? Wrong. When I move or rotate one of these objects it generates another 30 or so of the same object between the two points/angles. I would even be okay with just deleting these random pointless extra ones.. if it were possible. Instead, I have to revert to a previously saved version of the map or resize the map bounds to exclude them, save, and restart the editor to get rid of them. They're straight un-deletable. </rant>

Screenshot here:
http://a.yfrog.com/img138/9451/terrain007.jpg

The staircase with the green ostrich head deal represents the only real terrain object, the rest of them are only there to infuriate me and cause me anguish. All I wanted was a way to get onto my rooftops :<

Note: This isn't some sort of graphical error that appears exclusively in-editor, the editor is actually generating the additional objects, you must restart the editor to be able to see their ostrich heads and select them though. (And after restarting deleting them only removes the ostrich heads and makes them un-selectable again, it does nothing about the objects themselves.)
Also, I'm holding no additional keys that would cause the object to clone, so don't speculate that.
Edited by GameSlave on 9/26/2010 8:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
bump
Reply Quote
I have the same problem with one of my objects. You sound pretty lucky though because i somehow generated 610 objects :( they're just plain un-deletable and i can't revert. A fix would be wonderful because they cause a lot of lag.
Reply Quote
that sounds awful, sorry bud.
Reply Quote
I have this same problem happening. So does a friend. Our map development has been put on hold until there is a fix :X

Thanks blizz.
Reply Quote
You might like to know that while the bug is still a problem, i've found out how to get rid of the objects. If you go to file->save as and switch to components or w/e it's called in the dropdown, you can then edit the t3Terrain.xml file directly and just delete the terrain objects and save over it. It was pretty satisfying to delete all 610 objects with just a press of 'delete' XD

If you then open the ComponentList.SC2Components in the editor and save it should be back to a normal map.(worked for me at least)

edit: not sure if it's related but after saving the components back into a normal map i had to change the name to save it again and then it was fine.
Edited by Roanari on 9/28/2010 7:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
haha thanks a lot for the tip mate
Reply Quote
bumping until acknowledged by blizzard
Reply Quote
bump
Reply Quote
bumpbump
Reply Quote
yup, just a matter of time now.
Reply Quote
Sounds downright unpleasant. Here's hoping for a timely fix before any more victims fall prey to its icy tendrils.
Reply Quote
bump
Reply Quote
pretty important to my map that i can use terrain objects.
Reply Quote
I'm getting the same thing, it's pretty brutal.
Reply Quote
you wouldn't like me when i'm angry :\
Reply Quote
bumping until acknowledged by blizzard

edit:
seriously contemplating making a new thread with the same subject matter, only this time titling it something pertaining to a petty melee glitch that everyone and their mother is abusing in multiplayer.
maybe then it would get some attention.
my friend recommended "new warp in battlecruisers hack".

you don't have to withhold from replying until you have an idea of how to go about fixing it. it would make me feel better just to know you are aware of this problem.
Edited by GameSlave on 10/10/2010 10:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
bump
Reply Quote
bumpbump
Reply Quote
I'll bump it for you.

lol @ gameslave and your portrait..
Edited by Eternal on 10/14/2010 7:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]