StarCraft® II

6:30 baneling bust

So had a Zerg do a 6:30 baneling bust against me when I was playing Terran. He cut drones at about 30 and had 10-12 banelings and about 20 zerglings. What's the proper way to hold this when you go 1 rax FE. Do you immediately just vacate the natural? The natural wall wasn't even build yet (missing one depot).

EDIT:

Also this was following up with 3 rax not hellion/banshee.
Edited by Rathelm on 1/28/2013 3:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
you can play super safe like i do and build 3-4 rax to make a full wall at your natural, and then build 2 bunkers 1 behind the rax and one rouching your cc at the nat, if he baneling busts you, you ARE NOT DIEING! and u pretty much get a free win. But to be honesto build your 1 rax fe, then then build the rax wall, with your 1 rax you already ahve float it into his base and see what he's up to. cost 150 mins vs 290 from mule and you see both amin and natural.

also if you are 1 rax feing, you need defence before u go gas, and with 1 rax pumping marines im sure u should ahve had your wall up in time
Edited by Chansen on 1/28/2013 3:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
Glad someone posted a thread on this. I just had a plat do this exact same build. I had a supply depot wall but that just didn't cut it lol.
Reply Quote
Okay I'll start incorporating my extra rax into the wall. I looked at the guys account and it hadn't been payed in 26 weeks then all of a sudden a few days ago its nothing but wins. I just figured it was a much better player working up the ranks with a friend's account or something. I told him that he all-in'd but claimed he didn't. I just laughed. I was like, I know an all-in when I see one. I just failed to hold and lost like 20 SCVs.
Reply Quote
If I can tell someone is going for banelings, something that has saved me EVERYTIME is making sure that killing my supply depots does NOT kill my bunker, and inversely.

I shall try to explain:

I extend my supply depots slightly in front of where my bunker is, so the splash doesn't damage my bunker.

HOWEVER This is if I am SURE there are no roaches, because the roaches have the potential to then hit my wall and be out of range of my bunker.

I have been going mech recently though, so this saved me from a baneling bust yesterday because my wall was ahead of my bunker by a tiny bit.

Also, you should take advantage of the space in front of your wall as well to try and kite at least a little if the opportunity arises. You can always retreat, but once he moves forward you can not advance on him :S If I am really worried I am about to lose to some early push, I place a bait scv ahead of my natural wall (maybe at the ramp down or the bottom of the naturals ramp), that way as SOON as I hear the UNDER ATTACK game sound I know to start kiting/pulling scvs/repairing etc. It is lazy of me, but it does help me :S
Reply Quote
How do you kite speedlings with non-stim marines? It doesn't seem wise to have your army in front of the wall.
Reply Quote
01/28/2013 04:05 PMPosted by Rathelm
How do you kite speedlings with non-stim marines? It doesn't seem wise to have your army in front of the wall.

I was referring to playing mech sorry :S I forgot we were talking about marines :S
Reply Quote

A bunker behind the ramp from your natural to your main will do wonders against speedlings.
Reply Quote
6:30 baneling bust, its a guarantee that your wall will go down at your natural. I would still try to make a wall up front at natural to make them waste few banelings. Anyways, since 6:30 baneling easily destroys your wall, make a separate 2-3 bunker inside your main. If you haven't walled with depots in between your main and natural, float your Rax and make them as your wall against next wave of banelings.

This only works if you see it coming 1 minute ahead.

If you didn't scout it, then pray your opponent has terrible baneling control :(.

Not necessary against speedlings, but against 16 banelings, no stim and a bad wall setup. http://youtu.be/90U9RCLOcak?t=4m48s Then again, its Boxer..
Edited by Youki on 1/28/2013 4:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/28/2013 04:26 PMPosted by Youki

I'll have to check to see what kind of tell tale signs would give it away one minute in advance. I mean even in ZvZ its really hard to tell whether its a round of drones or a round zerglings coming.
Reply Quote
well the way i see it, since terran needs to get infastructure up and will start pumping units later then zerg it's easiest to just make a full rax wall until you are ready to move out with an army, afterwards build 2 supply depots so you can open and close it once leaving your main base is an option
Reply Quote
01/28/2013 04:55 PMPosted by Rathelm

I'll have to check to see what kind of tell tale signs would give it away one minute in advance. I mean even in ZvZ its really hard to tell whether its a round of drones or a round zerglings coming.

I like to leave an scv at his natural and if he doesn't expand by 20 supply something is up.
Reply Quote
what i do (if i see it coming via scout or watch tower marine) is I evacuate amost of my workers and lift off my natural cc and plant it behind the wall and take a few scvs and spread them next to the cc and diagnolly behind it so it makes liek a second wall and hold posisitionl. this usually uses up all the banelings, they cant just dodge and head into your main, then i just 1 base bio all in like right after and win usually. i usually never all in but in this spot i pull almost all my scvs and go, use the scvs as a shield if more banes pop before i get there. i actually enjoy baneling busts its an easy win for me, i cant stand festor ling bling, i get so frustrated when im fungaled and the banelings roll in and destroy everything.

have no idea if this strat is good or horrile but its working in gold
Reply Quote
*The below assumes a 1raxFE into Hellion / Banshee. If you open with 13 gas or multiple rax after FE, none of these busts should be very scary so long as you get 3ish Bunkers up.*

Scout to see if he has gas before 4 minutes. If he does, something early is likely coming... Banelings, Roaches, Speedling Expand, etc. If you think it's Banelings or Roaches, keep pumping Marines, build three bunkers in a triangle (2 in front, 1 in rear), covering each other, but not touching (roughly one bunker-width between each one). Try to get at least 2 Marines in each Bunker, and if you're really good, evacuate any Bunkers about to be hit by Banes. Have either an SCV or Hellion out on the field and keep it alive. Often, if he sees your defenses, he'll abort and go for a 3rd. You need to know that, so that you can salvage 2 of the Bunkers and try to take your 3rd.

If it's Banelings, he'll lose them all on your natural wall and Bunkers. Make sure the wall to your main is up and try not to lose any Hellions you have. Once the Banes are dead, get some SCVs to repair any surviving Bunkers. You need at least one Bunker and/or good Hellion control to survive a ling follow up. The MOMENT that you repel the attack, get 3 Bunkers (total) back up and then worry about any depot that you lost. He might try to bust you again. Again, make sure you scout for a 3rd. The moment he takes a 3rd, his ability to bust goes way down and he's going to go for a longer game.

If it's Roaches, you want to have SCVs on repair duty ASAP. If the Bunkers are behind a depot wall, but touching it, it's even better, because you can position the SCVs all the way in the back and he can't target them until he takes down the depots. You may not be able to do this on all maps, though. Rush that Banshee, if that's what you were teching to. Once it pops, his Roaches are on a timer and you can lift, run SCVs, etc until the Roaches are cleaned up.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]