StarCraft® II

Cheesing is a legit way of playing SC

Hey folk, I am a 100% zerg player and do mostly 1v1. Many of my friend got soooo pissed when they get cheesed!
But, honestly, i get cheesed all the time and I personally think it is a legit way of playing starcraft.
Since I am a zerg, all the cheese i have is 6 pool and I do that build like 1 game out of 100 games. But as I learn, I became more familiar with different cheeses and I take time to micro out of hard situations.

So, as a conclusion, don't hate cheesers, they take a lot of risk to cheese you and they don't execute it right, they pretty much just lost the game!

gg
Reply Quote
I <3 cheesers
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 12:50 PMPosted by Incubus
They don't care about losses as much as regular players do though. So it's a pain in the !@# to play against someone who is just going to try and piss you off with a rush instead of playing past 6 minutes. They deserve every bit of hate they get.

I guess in that case, they are not cheesers, they are trolls...
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 12:54 PMPosted by CUBE

Pretty much. Last night I had a guy proxy rax/bunker me. After I beat it, he floated off all his buildings and went afk. Definitely trollish.
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 12:54 PMPosted by CUBE
They don't care about losses as much as regular players do though. So it's a pain in the !@# to play against someone who is just going to try and piss you off with a rush instead of playing past 6 minutes. They deserve every bit of hate they get.

Exactly. I like and respect manner cheesers. It's the people specifically BM'ing you and trying to piss you off that I dislike.
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 12:57 PMPosted by DirtyD

Pretty much. Last night I had a guy proxy rax/bunker me. After I beat it, he floated off all his buildings and went afk. Definitely trollish.

that is the victory condition problem, it is fine, deal with it with air units
Reply Quote
As a terran I love it when people 6 pool me. Auto win for me :)
Reply Quote
Cheesing ticks people off because it exposes a flaw in their gameplay. If you scout cheese its chances for success drop like a rock so when you lose to cheese you either missed it (upsetting) or screwed up the defense (upsetting).
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 01:06 PMPosted by Drhorrible
Cheesing ticks people off because it exposes a flaw in their gameplay. If you scout cheese its chances for success drop like a rock so when you lose to cheese you either missed it (upsetting) or screwed up the defense (upsetting).

cheesing is a very risky play, once scouted, you are done. So many people do not realize that
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 01:12 PMPosted by CUBE
cheesing is a very risky play, once scouted, you are done. So many people do not realize that
Not necessarily. A scouted cannon rush, for example, can still kill somebody who doesn't react absolutely perfectly. Look at Gaulzi - people KNOW he's gonna cannon rush and still lose because he has sick building placement and probe micro.
Reply Quote
It's obviously legit. It's just annoying, in low rank play specifically, because it's soooo much easier to pull off than it is to defend. So, by that logic anyone who isn't particularly skilled yet would be stupid not to cheese, and the result is every low rank game ending before either side can even attempt to learn how to macro.
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 12:57 PMPosted by SwansGoMoo
Exactly. I like and respect manner cheesers. It's the people specifically BM'ing you and trying to piss you off that I dislike.

Unless I had a really bad night and lose to something like a marine/scv all-in. Then I may get a little pissy. Otherwise, I'm perfectly ok with early aggression. I think you get more practice in by doing or facing aggressive builds than macroing up for 15 minutes before attacking. Simcity is cool and all, but it's not the only way to play.
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 12:57 PMPosted by DirtyD
After I beat it, he floated off all his buildings and went afk. Definitely trollish.

In my experience cheesers doing this vs normal players, the ratio is about the same.(eg almost never)

And obviously cheesing is legit. Countering cheese, especially as terran(though zerg has it's moments too) is just pure fun. Do you actually know how to stop the cheese you're seeing, or do you just have to wing it? Maybe you have some vague idea of how you're supposed to stop it, but never actually practiced it? Well, pop quiz.

It's also helpful to keep the early (meta)game from getting too greedy and predictable.
Reply Quote
I will give you an example:

My high school essay question for the English final was "What is courage":

My essay? 5 pages, I swear my hand was in a splint by the end of it. 10/10

Someone who got 9/10, right below me? You know what they wrote?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is courage...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something like that (to me, comparable to cheese) becomes really annoying if it insists on being the trend of the night. Basically, the effort I plan on putting into the game is far more than my opponent, after a few games of that even if I beat them becomes really, really un fun.
Reply Quote
Of course cheesing is legitimate. The problem for people who play exclusively cheese styles is that they stunt their depth of experience and become inflexible. If I go 4-gate all-in in TvP every game, I become good at executing the basic 4-gate, true, but in game situations where they deflect the 4-gate or blind-counter it, I'm lost. Whereas people who play more macro-oriented or at least 2-base plays have to deal with the rapidly branching strategy trees of the various races, and thus grow more familiar with the intimate details of deflecting a wide variety of stuff from a bunch of game timestamps. It's just better in the long run to play macro, IF you're interested in developing your skills at strategy, problem-solving, and mindgames. If all you're after is the ladder grind for points, then proxy gate away, my friend. :D
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 02:10 PMPosted by Jazzman
f course cheesing is legitimate. The problem for people who play exclusively cheese styles is that they stunt their depth of experience and become inflexible. If I go 4-gate all-in in TvP every game, I become good at executing the basic 4-gate, true, but in game situations where they deflect the 4-gate or blind-counter it, I'm lost. Whereas people who play more macro-oriented or at least 2-base plays have to deal with the rapidly branching strategy trees of the various races, and thus grow more familiar with the intimate details of deflecting a wide variety of stuff from a bunch of game timestamps. It's just better in the long run to play macro, IF you're interested in developing your skills at strategy, problem-solving, and mindgames. If all you're after is the ladder grind for points, then proxy gate away, my friend. :D

+1
Reply Quote
6 pool build

????
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 02:14 PMPosted by AMadWalrus
6 pool build

????

Here I can show you the Build order:

@200 minerals pool

If @50 minerals, make zergling
If not, mash the button until you do.

directly from http://www.teamliquid.net
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 02:18 PMPosted by fingrknitter

????

Here I can show you the Build order:

save up 1200 minerals and build 6 spawning pools

fixed
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]