StarCraft® II

Cheesing is a legit way of playing SC

Here I can show you the Build order:

save up 1200 minerals and build 6 spawning pools

fixed

Who said they were spawning pools? Maybe it isn't even starcraft they are talking about?

http://www.premierpoolsandspas.com/
Reply Quote
The problem is that people that cheese usually only do so because its an easy way to win. They dont bother trying to get better at all aspects of the game (macro/micro/multitasking/acknowledgement) and only want a quick easy win. Why the hell would u want to win all the time when we both know you just take the easy route everygame? Now dont get me wrong, not all cheese is bad. Just the people that cheese nonstop everygame in order to get a free win.

There is no honor in it.

Some people do not have time. Some people just find cheesing easier. Cheesing is not a free win. Sometimes cheese is fun and sometimes macro is fun. Whoever wins the game usually is the better player. Simple sentences yeah!

I reread this and I wrote this like a second grader. LOL
Edited by thehistorian on 1/29/2013 5:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 01:32 PMPosted by Gigan
It's obviously legit. It's just annoying, in low rank play specifically, because it's soooo much easier to pull off than it is to defend. So, by that logic anyone who isn't particularly skilled yet would be stupid not to cheese, and the result is every low rank game ending before either side can even attempt to learn how to macro.

pretty much this

sure, it's legit, but since it's easier to execute than to defend it becomes very common in lower ranks and players who want to have fun playing the game, and not just trying to get ladder points or pissing people off, can't have a fun game

my interest in the game has been waning, they built in too many shortcuts for people who don't want to learn it, which means too many games are not fun at all, but whatev, guess I'll be saving money I would have spent on the next expansion

if interest in the game keeps waning (not dying, just becoming less popular), that's one reason right there.... cheesers get bored of always doing the same strat and the others get tired of playing against idiots, doesn't seem to me like a good recipe for long term success
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
I personally hate "cheesing," but in the grand scheme of things, I've made myself accept it.
Reply Quote
For anyone playing decently well in their games, cheesing is an easy win. One scout at around 10 supply is really all you need to block really any cheese. Yes, it is frustrating to lose, but that is only because you know that if you had just played correctly and not blindly, you could have won. The difference between a cheeser and a pro gamer is that pro gamers know the strengths and weaknesses of every timed aggression, and what the opponent can do to stop it. Cheesers only cheese because they literally can't do anything else.

Compare it to button spamming in smash, or sword camping in Halo. Professional smash players never button spam. They pressure, but never spam. Spammers press as many buttons as they can hoping for a result. Same as in Halo. Terrible players can't aim for their life, so they camp hoping that someone will slip up and give them an insta kill. Think any pro Halo players sword camp? Good reason why they don't.

Yes, it is very frustrating to deal with them, but once you get good enough, you WANT to verse cheesers instead of actual players because they just become routinely easy to beat. If you consistently lose to cheesers, you are bound to get better because you improve, whereas cheesing players usually don't.
Reply Quote
The problem is that people that cheese usually only do so because its an easy way to win. They dont bother trying to get better at all aspects of the game (macro/micro/multitasking/acknowledgement) and only want a quick easy win. Why the hell would u want to win all the time when we both know you just take the easy route everygame? Now dont get me wrong, not all cheese is bad. Just the people that cheese nonstop everygame in order to get a free win.

There is no honor in it.

What is wrong with this community and their insistence that the only reason to play this game is to "get better at all aspects of the game"? This player base is obsessed with "e-sports" and holds the game up on a pedestal as some sort of pinnacle of skill and strategic depth. As with any other activity (or sport), people are going to bring their own motivations and goals into it. Not everyone cares about getting better, and not everyone cares about ladder points or winning.
Edited by ViN on 1/29/2013 10:00 PM PST
Reply Quote

There is no honor in it.

What is wrong with this community and their insistence that the only reason to play this game is to "get better at all aspects of the game"? This player base is obsessed with "e-sports" and holds the game up on a pedestal as some sort of pinnacle of skill and strategic depth. As with any other activity (or sport), people are going to bring their own motivations and goals into it. Not everyone cares about getting better, and not everyone cares about ladder points or winning.

Your words sing true
Reply Quote
Cheesers are like the idiot who buys $60 game but plays the tutorial repeatedly, except cheesers also piss some people off because they waste people's time.
Reply Quote
It can be if you do it right, I do the occasional 2 rax vs zerg (though that is just pressure not really cheese) but it is sad when its all that someone does. like I see protoss who only cannon rush and I think its just sad
Reply Quote
Let's not forget the main reason why we play. It's fun. If your fun is cheesing,and that's what you do, you're playing the game right.
Reply Quote
Agreed, it's perfectly legitimate. Generally looked down upon, but there's not really anything wrong with it.
Reply Quote
You guy's are funny don't ever play on Korea that place is nothing but cheese and all in's or aggressive build's and i'm starting to learn that may actually be the best way to play.
Reply Quote
I find it a tad bit annoying when people insist on cheesing EVERY GAME in the beta, but maybe that's just me...
Reply Quote
Without players cheesing, optimal macro builds that can hold off cheese will never be found or developed quickly. Cheesers have their place.

Its also good for teaching micro and the importance of timings.
Edited by Enigma on 1/30/2013 12:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
I find cheese on the ladder is okay, usually leads to a win for those who can micro -defend it and it helps for future experience, though it is frustrating if you go on a streak of playing only cheese-tactics rather then getting good practice with macro , builds, and engagements.

I believe cheese in tournaments though is a good way to keep things fresh and keep opponents from being too greedy
Reply Quote
Cheesing is what everyone else is and you are not.

That's why cheese is everywhere.
Reply Quote
Without cheesers everyone would open 3cc/hatch/nexus and the first 15 minutes would be totally boring. They are necessary to stop people doing stupidly greedy builds.
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 12:48 PMPosted by CUBE
don't hate cheesers, they take a lot of risk to cheese you and they don't execute it right, they pretty much just lost the game!

Actually, they win if their opponent doesn't execute right. Most cheese (especially the six pool) is very easy to stop when you know what to do and your build has an out for it.
Reply Quote
I like getting cheesed as it makes me better. If I never got cheesed I wouldn't diligently scout and learn to react properly.

01/30/2013 01:47 AMPosted by Disquiet
Without cheesers everyone would open 3cc/hatch/nexus and the first 15 minutes would be totally boring. They are necessary to stop people doing stupidly greedy builds.

You can still do really greedy builds and hold cheese for example FFE easily holds a 6 pool as long as you place your second pylon near your nexus.
Edited by Resipsa on 1/30/2013 7:45 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]