StarCraft® II

How to use banelings effectively?

I hardly ever use them, but I watched the pros at a tournament and obviously the unit has massive potential. I just...see them being used so poorly in silver and gold that I've never been too crazy about them.

How many do you build, how heavily defended can a (Terran) wall be before you just don't bother, and is it effective to burrow them and use them as land mines? Or are they killed before the unburrow animation finishes?

Oh and are there important break points for the acid damage killing workers?
Reply Quote
How many do you build, how heavily defended can a (Terran) wall be before you just don't bother, and is it effective to burrow them and use them as land mines? Or are they killed before the unburrow animation finishes?

You can actually blow em up while they are burrowed, without unburrowing them. 0 warning haha.

As far as how many you need? Thats a bit arbitrary and changes depending on the matchup. I dont bother with them in ZvP. ZvZ they are extremely useful as long as your opponent is using lings (although level 1 carapace means lings dont get 1 shotted), and ZvT they are extremely useful as long as the Terran player masses marines / Marauders.

You need more and more as the game goes on, but early game? I've seen people completely defend a natural and a main from a ling rush with 4 banelings. 1 on the Nat ramp, 1 in the nat, 1 on the main ramp, and 1 in the main.

I'm reasonably confident in everything I have just told you. But then I am also only a silver player.
Reply Quote
I actually just read a post on bane rain which is kinda neat. I should also add that I'm most interested in 4v4s in gold where there is inevitably one Terran player doing a bioball. I'm more interested in baneling busts, although tricks for getting them into the bioball are good too.
Reply Quote
In ZvZ, unless you plan on putting on some early aggression or all inning, you don't need many. You need just enough to counter whatever type of ling pressure your opponent may be putting on. That being said, you should be getting a baneling nest relatively early every ZvZ.

Banes are optional in ZvT. A popular style is ling/bane/infestor vs T, however ling/infestor is perfectly viable. Land mines are good vs terrans who are going bio.

Don't make banelings vs Protoss unless you're going for a bust.

edit: oh 4v4 nvm, just mass mutas
Edited by SandCastles on 1/28/2013 11:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/28/2013 09:56 PMPosted by Boomy

You can actually blow em up while they are burrowed, without unburrowing them. 0 warning haha.

As far as how many you need? Thats a bit arbitrary and changes depending on the matchup. I dont bother with them in ZvP. ZvZ they are extremely useful as long as your opponent is using lings (although level 1 carapace means lings dont get 1 shotted), and ZvT they are extremely useful as long as the Terran player masses marines / Marauders.

You need more and more as the game goes on, but early game? I've seen people completely defend a natural and a main from a ling rush with 4 banelings. 1 on the Nat ramp, 1 in the nat, 1 on the main ramp, and 1 in the main.

I'm reasonably confident in everything I have just told you. But then I am also only a silver player.

Don't listen to this guy. As you can see here: http://drop.sc/297901?pass=337e4dac-5010-4c1c-b81f-88997765a208 boomy is really bad
Reply Quote
your silver, best not be calling others bad.

01/28/2013 11:39 PMPosted by IlIlIlIlIlIl

Don't listen to this guy. As you can see here: http://drop.sc/297901?pass=337e4dac-5010-4c1c-b81f-88997765a208 boomy is really bad
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 02:57 AMPosted by HMTehz

he also for some reason has it out for me. He beat me in a game a week ago and now posts the replay of the game everywhere I post.

01/28/2013 11:39 PMPosted by IlIlIlIlIlIl

Regardless of what this poster would have you believe, none of the information I gave you falty.
Reply Quote
I realize now I'd incorrectly calculated (for 2 reasons) the cost of banelings. I thought they were 100/50, but since they're actually only 50/25 each they're obviously WAY more cost effective than I thought they were.

I'd say 8 banelings is probably plenty for 1v1, but in 4v4 where you have multiple armies sitting at the top of the ramp it's not enough IMO.

Also, any tips on how to send them in? You kind of have to send in some zerglings to draw fire, then the banelings, then the swarm. But if you send too many zerglings they get in the way, and if you send too few your banelings get killed.

Vids of baneling busts that used like the exact right number of lings and blings would be cool.

Also since I'm being lazy, does air upgrade only increase the ground damage of the little broodlings the brood lords shoot out, or is there impact damage as well?
Edited by Torimar on 1/30/2013 1:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/30/2013 01:06 PMPosted by Torimar
Also since I'm being lazy, does air upgrade only increase the ground damage of the little broodlings the brood lords shoot out, or is there impact damage as well?

Air upgrades only affect the shot damage of the broodlings. Melee upgrades effect the broodlings themselves.
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 02:57 AMPosted by HMTehz

My silver...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]