StarCraft® II

TvP Replay analysis help

Hey guys,

I just recently switched to Terran and for the most part I really am enjoying playing the race. However, I recently had a game that I myself could not quite analyze properly to find the weaknesses in my play. I would really appreciate some help with the analysis and any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

http://drop.sc/300384

Thanks guys!
Xaphan
Reply Quote
During the first fight you did no macro at all, simply A-Moved into his army. You could have focused the colossus down: by the end of that fight it had 12 kills. sometimes it helps to send a single marine in front of your army to see what his army looked like. You scanned right before you engaged but sending this single marine can help in situations such as this where the scan doesn't show a colossus but one happens to pop out right before that engagement. I would have either focused the colossus or distracted him with a drop in his main while hitting his natural with the rest of your army when he moved to clean up your drop.

It also helps to throw a scan down at your natural now and then where your army is located to see if they have an observer on you, or build a turret or two around there so they can't see what you are doing. Depending on how good your eyes are you might be able to see the slight blur that is the observer too, usually it hovers near your base exit.

In the second battle and at the end you did a very good job of microing out of the storms at the start, but you suddenly stopped once you engaged completely. I think what it came down to was you didn't have enough ghosts to constantly EMP the HT and the archon as well as the need to micro out of storms all the time, it sucks but it is a necessity.

You also need to do more harassment and put more pressure on him, you never did a drop or a run by or any other kind of attack except for a full on engagement. Use your medivacs and drop his main, while hitting one of his expos, or drop 2 bases at the same time and hit a third with the rest of your army. Once you have 2 or three drops going on at once the enemy usually doesn't know how to deal with the pressure and will make mistakes that will lead to a victory for you.
Reply Quote
Vanguard,

Thank you very much for your detailed and helpful reply! I will certainly take what you have said and try to implement it into my play into the future. The drops are something that I am not very use to performing however I think with time, I will be able to perform them properly. My micro is also a serious issue and I think this game made that evident. I really need to learn to micro my army better. Again thank you very much for taking the time to help me identity some problems!

Sincerely,
Xaphan
Reply Quote
lol play less like a noob and it will do the trick
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 05:25 PMPosted by Capitaine

insightful advice to an honest request for help. The OP at least has the humility to acknowledge flaws in his play unlike a superb "platinum" player such as yourself.

Edit:

Excuse me didn't see that you are currently only in the extremely selective platinum league
Edited by ICEdKing on 1/29/2013 6:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
I just watch it but u are around my lvl best advice i can offer is work on ur terran micro. Your macro was good u were just a moving a bit to much. First on your engagement around the 20 min mark u def coulda won the game there but u were'nt micro'n your vikings. The difference bewteen terran and the other 2 races mainly is unit control u cant just have all your units on 1 hotkey and amove engage. You should have put your vikings on 1 hotkey and your MMM on another and as u push in only select your mmm and pull back and let your vikings soften up and kill the collosus. Also that was a horrible place to engage. You never want to engage a toss with strom and collosus in a choke like that.
It takes ALOT of practice but u have to learn how to control both your vikings and mmm at the same time. It's not easy at all and i still struggle with it all the time. U want to have 3 vikings per collosus about.
Then once u hit late game and u get ur ghosts it helps alot to to have them keybound seperate to keep them alive and casue emp overlaps stim. I persoanlly put vikings on 1, ghosts on 2, and MMM on 3 it just feels right to me. One things that helped me ALOT with my tvp is to play the pc on very hard and dont just rush to beat them instead let them build a deathball and just practice usind your keybinds to kill it. After they initially do a rush they always tech up to storm and collosus. Even tohugh their micro is nothing like a real person it still helps alot practicing using your vikings and ghosts on keybinds.

Other than that u cannot turtle up as terran u always have to have something going on in the field to slow down your opponents tech. Drops mainly like someone else said thats another thing that mastering using keybinds really helps alot so u can do multi drops at a time then rush in their front door when they are out of posistion and snipe some tech or a expansion. I noticed u kept just sitting in your base until maxed each match then moving out like a toss or zerg generally does in a macro match. Cant really do that as terran as ur late game is ALOT weaker than theirs and requires way more micro.

Sry this was so long and i hope some of this helps :) its just some of the things i had to realize and work on b4 i could get better at this matchup (which i'm still ont that great just becasue the micro can be so tough).
On a side not watch some TvP pro replays if u wanna see some great micro that too will help alot.
Edited by Damen on 1/29/2013 10:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/29/2013 06:10 PMPosted by ICEdKing

insightful advice to an honest request for help. The OP at least has the humility to acknowledge flaws in his play unlike a superb "platinum" player such as yourself.

Edit:

Excuse me didn't see that you are currently only in the extremely selective platinum league

I just restared playing after a 1-year break, check my 1st year classment :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]