StarCraft® II

Seriously: Switch to protoss

If only for a little while. I've been playing as protoss for a week and it's easy and pretty fun. Plus, I get a lot of free wins off of better players by just spamming storm all over the place. Warp Prisms are fun and are a great pinning unit and you can force a lot of turrets with a warp prism: pretty good for a 200 mineral unit that doesn't require a tech deviation.

And Lolossus are pretty fun to use, just target down and storm on those vikings and it's an easy way to wreck a terran bio army.

Bonus: protoss units are so big and easy to split up that you should never have a problem with banelings and you can do all of the same micro with stalkers as marines plus blink for a serious edge in fights (down-side of Stalkers, their DPS is for !@#$). You can keep Immortals alive forever with minimal micro. Even versus things that "counter" immortals like zealots and lings, jut by splitting them up and playing ring around the other units until the melee units are dead.

Honestly, if enough Terran players switched to protoss for the rest of the season, blizzard might be forced to address the issues with the TvP matchup.

The downside: both PvZ and PvP are stupid.
Reply Quote
I couldn't leave my terran, especially with widow mines.

While I wish that they could fire more often (swarm hosts spawn locusts faster @_@) they're so much fun! I went pure hellion / widow mine for 90% of a TvZ. His mass roaches could not hold off my relentless hellions; he had a very nice defense, and I still killed most of his stuff.

I had to switch to thors to take out his swarm hosts, but god I was having so much fun! Tank pushes have nothing on widow mine pushes with hellion support. They need the tech lab upgrade or they suck though =(

TvP is still kind of obnoxious, but I haven't tried playing with widow mines there yet >=)
Reply Quote
I guess the main thing I'm enjoying about protoss right now is how easy the micro is, and how fast reinforcements are to get.

The units are nothing special (except chargelots, immortals, and HTs, which are really great), but they are big so it's super easy to split them up and perform blink-back micro or cut the front off and pull it around your army, and prepositioning is also way easier with protoss units if you are comfortable with with terran micro (seriously, you don't even need to spread charge zealots out, they spread themselves with the charge).

The only things to dislike are:
1) How weak gateway units are.
2)How expensive everything is.
3) How immobile the protoss army seems to be.
and,
4) How poor stalker DPS is against all targets.
Reply Quote
Once you get into the upper echelons of play protoss micro becomes far more difficult. And the protoss army may be immobile but it is far easier to reinforce a base if it is under attack if you are a protoss with warp gate tech.
Reply Quote
I've actually considered switching a few times, and I've actually found it to be quite a lot easier than Terran.

Whenever I play Protoss though, I really miss my 1 rax fe. It seems like it's way harder to defend early expands as Toss (at least when I was playing, but I don't know much about Toss). Also, I find Terran macro to be a bit more forgiving. (Press 5, Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ddd).

That, and I've been Terran since brood war, and I'd feel like I was "giving up" if I switched. Also, I'm still only gold/plat mmr, so it's not like I'm losing games because chargelots have too much hp or something. I get red in the face with embarrassment when I see how noobish I still am in my replays.
Reply Quote
Why would I want to play as a race of pansy elf wannabes that can't even enjoy delicious bacon (no mouths)?

Hell, they can't even get the color right on their explosions. :\
Reply Quote
Why would I want to play as a race of pansy elf wannabes that can't even enjoy delicious bacon (no mouths)?

They do it better. They can taste it all over their body. They're plants.

Whenever I play Protoss though, I really miss my 1 rax fe. It seems like it's way harder to defend early expands as Toss (at least when I was playing, but I don't know much about Toss). Also, I find Terran macro to be a bit more forgiving. (Press 5, Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ddd).
1 Gate expo. Same thing.

I've pretty much always agreed that Terran macro is more forgiving. Protoss micro is more about precision rather than clicking a whole lot. It's surprising actually how different the skill levels are dependent on how fast and accurate you can be.
For example, how fast can you create a Force Field wall and how much overlap is there? Can you save every Blink Stalker? Can you make sure Guardian Shield is always covering your Zealots? Are you Feedbacking Ghosts before they EMP/Snipe your Templars? Are your Zealots getting caught up on buildings/Are your Colossi pathing correctly? Do you Graviton Beam the right units at the right time? (Admittedly this last one only applies so much, but I personally make use of the Phoenix so it's important to me.)

I'm not trying to take anything away from Terran micro of course, just offering my Protoss perspective since you expressed an interest in the race.
Reply Quote

1 Gate expo. Same thing.

I've pretty much always agreed that Terran macro is more forgiving. Protoss micro is more about precision rather than clicking a whole lot. It's surprising actually how different the skill levels are dependent on how fast and accurate you can be.
For example, how fast can you create a Force Field wall and how much overlap is there? Can you save every Blink Stalker? Can you make sure Guardian Shield is always covering your Zealots? Are you Feedbacking Ghosts before they EMP/Snipe your Templars? Are your Zealots getting caught up on buildings/Are your Colossi pathing correctly? Do you Graviton Beam the right units at the right time? (Admittedly this last one only applies so much, but I personally make use of the Phoenix so it's important to me.)

I'm not trying to take anything away from Terran micro of course, just offering my Protoss perspective since you expressed an interest in the race.

For sure, I think the micro/macro balance is roughly equivalent. Not because Terran macro is more forgiving (I think Terran macro is extremely unforgiving), but because, for me anyway, it seems simpler: hit 6 and then s twice, and then 5 and hit d 2 -4 times, g 2-4 times, and then hold down a until there is a pair of white dots on each rax, then tab and d or v a couple of times, then micro then 6, f4, hold e and click the minerals a few times. But the micro is pretty involved, so the macro has to go fast or you lose the whole army.

The Protoss micro/macro balance is more like: target the Vikings with the stalkers, try to feedback the ghosts, lay down FFs and storms, then hit 6 ee, 5 cc, w, f5 (camera hotkey for forward pylon) and hold down z, s, t, or d and click all around the pylon then double tap 3 (HT hotkey) and storm some more, then f2, 6, hold down c and click dem gates, double tap 2, and micro the stalkers.

I find the beginning of the engagements to be about equally challenging in terms of storm vs emp; snipe vs feedback; focussing down colossus vs focussing down Vikings, with Protoss being easier to pre-set before the battle starts and having detection built into the army vs remembering to scan. Then after the battle starts Terran MUST kite down the zealots, split, and, dodge storms while Protoss can blink stalkers back and must keep laying storms down, but also must look away from the battle (unless they have great warp prism micro) to macro, while Terran doesn't need to look away to macro.

All in all, I'd say that Protoss macro is both more forgiving but more involved than Terran macro, while Terran macro is unforgiving but can be done without looking away from the fight.
Reply Quote
Lol I had thoughts about switching to Terran lolololol
Reply Quote
I feel protoss is boring I like to marine split :D
Reply Quote
dont abandon us now!
Reply Quote
01/30/2013 07:10 PMPosted by BrockLanders
All in all, I'd say that Protoss macro is both more forgiving but more involved than Terran macro, while Terran macro is unforgiving but can be done without looking away from the fight.

Nice summary there, I came to a similar conclusion.

Where making up for lost cycles or trying to spend money is more difficult for terran (AKA the consequence of macro slipping), as protoss spending the money is easy, but to spend it from gateways you have to actively be LOOKING at where you are warping in (AKA macro slips are easier).

I think they balance out quite well though in how they work, and you can see that in the fact that TvP and PvT are most people's favorite match ups.

However, having just switched to terran, man I gotta learn to split xD Them storms be raining all day on me :S
Reply Quote
I tried; I couldn't get over the terrible mirror matchup and the lack of ability to do anything before 15:00.
Reply Quote

That's disgusting... and weird... and probably not technically possible. Friggin' space elfs.
Reply Quote
I was playing Protoss till i took a bullet to the knee and morphed into a Zerg.
Edited by NaNiwa on 2/2/2013 7:14 AM PST
Reply Quote
i play terran most of my 1v1's but i have this weird pain in my wrist and cant keep up w/ macro/micro so i offrace w/ protoss way less APM required.

also i love the fact that my gateways are already hotkeyed to W so that frees up 1 hotkey

also i can place a plyon behind my army during a battle and reinforce w/o them streaming in halfway across the map.
Edited by iChobo on 2/2/2013 10:24 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]