StarCraft® II

Tips against terrans

I'm fairly new at this game and have been doing fairly well recently against zerg and protoss as protoss but am having a lot of problems with terrans. I'm bronze, and pretty sure soon to be silver. And now i've dedicated some time to actually learning this game. Please help.

1. Early game issues: A typical game has me throwing a scouting probe out, before their wall in is complete. I get a nice view of a supply depot, a barracks, and sometimes a refinery. Sounds pretty standard. If i'm lucky i'll survive long enough to see another barracks, or sometimes I see them going 1/1/1.

So they are walled off and I can't get another look in until i get my observer. Meanwhile it turns out they made 2-3 more barracks, rushed a crap ton of marines and then decided to run into my base...

Similarly, they'll do a very fast marader/rine ball and just devastate me.

I have no idea when I'm supposed to expand. Because usually i'll expand and 2 minutes later comes their nice early attack. It just seems pointless to turtle every single game just in case of this.

2. Late game issues: I'm having issues with terrans turtling off of one or two bases with crap tons of turrets, bunkers, seige tanks... there's just no getting in. SO I expand, get a huge economic advantage... But then all of the sudden a fleet of battlecruisers appear and I can't do crap against it no matter how many stalkers, void rays, or whatever I have.

I'm actually fairly decent (compared to my level) when it comes to economy and macro. I don't see many people that can pull off a good ffe, and if i go against a protoss it's usually an instant win because I can outproduce them all the time. Against Zerg I've been able to predict a lot of their cheese well and win. It's just terrans... The majority of my wins are because I can make it to mid game and can get a good fight in where I destroy their MMM balls with storm or colossus and then I just wipe them out.
Edited by Yourpalmal on 1/30/2013 2:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
honestly, for the lower league play, you may be concentrating too much on what your opponent is doing. Try concentrating on your mechanics (building probes constantly, not getting supply blocked, not missing warp cycles, etc.). It's likely that your focus on your opponent is causing you to slip on your macro back home. All bronze/silver/gold and most platinum players experience this at one point or another.

Try this:

scout gas - drop an early robo for observers

scout no gas - expand early

Other than that, just concentrate on building stuff. And don't over complicate it by trying to hard counter his composition. Just build a !@#$ load of stuff faster than him and go kill. Remember, the players you are against are also bronze/silver, so it's likely they are making the same mistakes you are. If you can just concentrate on making your mechanics better, you will find yourself in Plat/Diamond in no time.

Perhaps give JaKaTaK's staircase system a try. It will point you in the right direction.

Hope that helps.

glhf!
Reply Quote
Thanks for your response.

It's fairly common in bronze from what I have encountered for early rushes and cheese though. Most of the time if I scout no gas it either means "Terran is expanding early, or building 3-4 racks with no reactor and pumping out a small marine army that'll attack incredibly early". If it's the latter and I expanded it's an instant loss
Reply Quote
Thanks for your response.

It's fairly common in bronze from what I have encountered for early rushes and cheese though. Most of the time if I scout no gas it either means "Terran is expanding early, or building 3-4 racks with no reactor and pumping out a small marine army that'll attack incredibly early". If it's the latter and I expanded it's an instant loss

If you are not comfortable expanding, wait until you scout his expand before you do the same. The point I'm trying to make is, your opponent will be making mistakes (forgetting SCV's, missing supply depots, over-cueing his barracks, etc.). If you can make sure that you are not making these mistakes on your side, you will have a clear advantage, and any cheese he/she attempts will be shut down by you superior force (superior because you didn't make the mistakes he/she did).
Reply Quote
Thanks again. I'll check out that staircase too. there's always room for improvement. It's just really frustrating how I struggle against terran and they're about 75% of my games.
Reply Quote
apollo has a good newbie series
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3w61sIdFjs
Reply Quote
I think the thing about terran vs protoss is that protoss can only defeat a terran in the midgame. Protoss can't really win in the early or late game. Strengthen your mid-game assault and you can kill terran pretty easily.

Terran wins in early game because of range and wall in ability, thus turtle terran. Late game terran wins because of Ghost emp/viking.

The only time I can beat them is midgame, right when I get a few colossi/immortals and sentry bio ball with decent upgrades. If I wait till late and the terran has about 5 ghosts, I'm toast. can't beat a unit that can do 100 damage to 6-7 of my units instantly in one shot.
Reply Quote
3 gate robo expand is pretty standard against Terran for a safe expand. If you see gas when you get your probe into the Terran's base that means they're going 1/1/1. I suppose it could also be a reaper expand, but that's not very common. A 1 rax FE does not have the Terran getting gas till after 2 more barracks are up.

As for your late game question, if you see a Terran turtle hard on two bases just expand and saturate 3 bases as quickly as you can. Then build 2 more robo facilities and just pump out immortals and colossus. Colossus kill tanks pretty quickly and immortals just decimate tanks. You'll be able to crack the Terran quite easily. There is no way the Terran can get battlecruisers off of two bases in any timely fashion. Take more bases just for the gas.

Lastly, for Fenix, the early game of TvP is probably fairly even. The midgame favors Terran, and the late game favors Protoss. Protoss is the most vulnerable when they're trying to establish a third. If you can safely get a third up your unit supply efficiency makes it very hard for Terran to easily beat.
Reply Quote
01/30/2013 07:59 PMPosted by Fenix
I think the thing about terran vs protoss is that protoss can only defeat a terran in the midgame. Protoss can't really win in the early or late game.

Naniwa has a wicked 2gate robo FE build that I use often. It hits at 8 minutes before medivacs are on the field. 2 immo's, 4 sent, 6 stalkers and a proxy pylon for reinforcements. I've gotten lots of gg's just from that one attack. It's about as close to an early game win as you can get unless you 4 gate and terran sucks...
Reply Quote
Thank you for the advice. I've been having success with a safe 3 gate robo expand as suggested above. I've even held off a couple quick marine rushes. Also I've made it my goal to stop the terran by mid game no matter what. I also checked out the staircase method, and even though it seemed geared more towards newer players it was helpful in concentrating on my macro and I've been tracking macro improvement with http://spendingq.com and have seen a general improvement.

I appreciate the help, guys. Already made it to top 8 silver and rising. :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]