StarCraft® II

Lightsabers! Should we bother?

I think it'd be a great idea because of other technological advancements that would inevitably arise from the process of creating it. Also, investment multiplier, general increase in technology = economic growth = winning.

Keep in mind that they would likely not be actually made of lasers as this would be largely impractical. It is more feasible that it would be made out of a super-heated plasma.
Some important potential technological advancements would be:
1) increased knowledge of magnetic fields and their mechanisms (necessary to control the plasma)
-Other purposes: Magnetic fields would be a necessary part of any endeavors to colonize and terraform other planets (i.e. mars who has lost most of its magnetic field)
2) Better batteries (likely going to be composed of carbon nanotubes. The lightsaber would require a large power source)
-Other purposes: This would have major industrial purposes given the broad use of batteries today. Carbon nanotube based batteries are millions of times as powerful as the standard voltaic batteries that we use. This could contribute to further miniturization of technology & components (i.e. in computers the power source would occupy less space, allowing more room for hardware).

Here's more info on the topic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSNubaa7n9o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp_Hq1f8-0E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLcEYbAdyxk

apparently there's actually a white house petition on it right now
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/provide-funding-research-lightsaber-technology/dMRTbTvm
Edited by RyTwoDTwo on 1/30/2013 5:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
Now just to find a force crystal.

The energy required in the handle to melt through feet of metal like in Star Wars is ridiculous, and for it to last so long too. You would basically be holding a mini nuclear reactor in your hand. Unless you find some force crystals.

-----------------------------------
Poptarts Taste Like...
Reply Quote

The energy required in the handle to melt through feet of metal like in Star Wars is ridiculous, and for it to last so long too. You would basically be holding a mini nuclear reactor in your hand. Unless you find some force crystals.

Poptarts Taste Like...

You can melt through feet of metal with a proper torch these days, and that doesn't take a 'mini nuclear reactor'... The energy needed isn't actually that far out of reach.
Reply Quote

Poptarts Taste Like...

You can melt through feet of metal with a proper torch these days, and that doesn't take a 'mini nuclear reactor'... The energy needed isn't actually that far out of reach.

I don't think your going to fit a oxygen tank and an acetylene tank into a handle of a light saber sir. Nor will you fit a battery/generator in there big enough for a plasma cutter either. GL w/ that.
Reply Quote

I don't think your going to fit a oxygen tank and an acetylene tank into a handle of a light saber sir. Nor will you fit a battery/generator in there big enough for a plasma cutter either. GL w/ that.

Take your hand, now intersect it sharply with your forehead.

Nowhere did I claim that lightsabres would use O2/acetylene tanks. What I said is the assertion that the necessary cutting power could only come from a mini-nuclear-reactor is absurd.

Your assertions regarding inability for a battery to hold the necessary charge are equally absurd.

You've essentially selected an answer you want, and will hand-wave away anything but that answer.
Reply Quote
Should we bother with Lightsabers? I always thought if we could have something like that, wouldn't it be better just to have it one-ended and be more of a plasma-cutter gun, like an OP welder gone rouge? I don't care even if it's short ranged, it's not likely it'd be worse than a sword.
Reply Quote
2) Better batteries (likely going to be composed of carbon nanotubes. The lightsaber would require a large power source)

The lightsaber would be better off channeling energy from an alternate source. I'm not quite sure how, but the basic idea is to siphon off radiation from space via a concentrated magnetic field (possibly gamma rays). This would allow enough energy for such high heat plasma, without needing to bother with overcharged batteries. (This is total speculation, of course... LOL)
Reply Quote
Join the darkside, SC2 players, we have fresh baked cookies. >:D
Reply Quote
yes we should, next question?
Reply Quote
Zealots Psi Blades arent that far off.
EDIT:yes i know this post isnt starcraft specific but i didnt realize that until now :3
Edited by Slipzo on 10/17/2013 3:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The lightsaber is nothing without the Force mastery of the one who wields it.

A plasma torch is better at cutting through metal, an assault rifle is better at waging warfare, so why bothering ?

And if we ever reach the superhuman perception and reaction skills of a Jedi, a simple steel saber or the same old assault rifle will still fare pretty well, while being way less expensive.
Reply Quote

Poptarts Taste Like...

So a torch can melt through feets of metal within a single second(faster depending on the speed of the swing)? Last time I checked torches took quite the while to MELT FEETS of metal (remember that steel today =/= durasteel used in the star wars universe).

Therefore, no. Not to mention in the future when guns probably have ludicrous range (miles and miles) because of railgun or coilgun technology I don't think companies will be trying to bother with a melee weapon.

EDIT

Think of Durasteel like Starcraft's neosteel, both are beyond the limits of any steel we are capable of creating today (stronger, more heat resistant, etc.), so yes you'd need to create a weapon capable of heat much hotter than a freaking torch.

If you ask me, the only viable thing you've made in this ludicrous thread is a lightsaber for industrial purposes (or maybe a kitchen knife like in family guy's lightsaber butter knife) XD
Edited by ghost on 11/26/2013 1:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
well here is my take on the light saber,
first off it is a bit impractical the amount of energy to create that would not be practical.
however i was thinking of some sort of a super conductor of heat.
Reply Quote
11/26/2013 01:31 PMPosted by Luftwaffe
So a torch can melt through feets of metal within a single second(faster depending on the speed of the swing)? Last time I checked torches took quite the while to MELT FEETS of metal (remember that steel today =/= durasteel used in the star wars universe).

That sonic boom you hear is the sound of goalposts moving at the speed of sound.
Reply Quote
01/14/2014 03:50 PMPosted by Hylozoist

That sonic boom you hear is the sound of goalposts moving at the speed of sound.

Did anyone else get this?
Reply Quote
01/15/2014 04:13 PMPosted by Luftwaffe

First it was claimed the energy required to melt through feet of steel was beyond what could be stored in a hand-held battery.

Then you changed that to feet of unobtanium and time period of seconds.
Reply Quote

First it was claimed the energy required to melt through feet of steel was beyond what could be stored in a hand-held battery.

Try just saying that in the first place rather than making an apparent joke that noone can understand...

EDIT

He referred to feats in star wars where yes, durasteel was melted in fractions of a second with a lightsaber and you responded to him with torches can melt metal yet you seemed to forget that they cant melt even regular steel in a fraction of a second with how much the lightsaber does.
Edited by Luftwaffe on 1/16/2014 3:10 PM PST
Reply Quote

Try just saying that in the first place rather than making an apparent joke that noone can understand...

EDIT

He referred to feats in star wars where yes, durasteel was melted in fractions of a second with a lightsaber and you responded to him with torches can melt metal yet you seemed to forget that they cant melt even regular steel in a fraction of a second with how much the lightsaber does.

Can we stop comparing the power of torches to light sabers, because if you can generate that much heat with such a small device in the form of a light saber then you should be able to do with a torch. If you can't with either one, then you shouldn't be able to with the other.
Reply Quote
As with many Sci Fi fictions, people love the idea of LAZORS and Light swords but in reality, Kinetic weapon systems deliver far more damaging energy to a target at a fraction of the cost.

This isn't to say that a Light Sabre is completely ridiculous. There is plenty of energy. Even in a vacuum, I believe there is around 10 to the 113 Joules per cubic meter. I'm not sure if that is accurate or not but I know experiments in a pure vacuum can prove that literally, loads of energy exists it what seems to be "nothing".

Simply tapping into the very "force" (see what I did there?) of our universe around us some how, would provide you with plenty of power to make a nice, glowing blade of plasma to cauterize enemy faces...
But is it really worth it?

That same power can be transferred to a Rail Gun design and be converted into SO MUCH MORE potential energy as a simple, kinetic projectile and to completely annihilate entire states.

Point being? Kinetic Energy is far more effective, and CHEAPER, than just using raw energy. Mass itself, is basically a form of energy. It's already there, in malleable form, tightly packed and ready to be thrown at your enemy's fore head for some massively, concussive effects.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]